HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: A ZX-12R fighter f0r those liking such NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
trenace

Needs a job
posted July 15, 2005 05:09 AM        Edited By: trenace on 12 Aug 2005 18:55
A ZX-12R fighter f0r those liking such

I don't really know why to make a 'fighter of a 12, and I don't know about the color scheme, but if doing so, this particular job uses some tasty parts, especially those Marzocchi forks:

Ignore this member   
Megabyte

Pro
posted July 15, 2005 05:42 AM        
Looks Wicked! How do you like the Micron Exhaust?

Ignore this member   
Hells Dark Lord

Needs a life
living life, and loving it.
posted July 15, 2005 05:42 AM        
I like it......

Ignore this member   
vozizm

Needs a job
Got Nothing Witty To Say
posted July 15, 2005 06:33 AM        
me likes the last pic where lower plastics are scraped up... wish i could do that!!

Ignore this member   
frEEk

Administrator
ummm... yeah
posted July 18, 2005 11:05 AM        
damn, my fighter may look nice with all those goodies too! but i concur that if i had the money to do all that, i wouldnt do the st fighter route.
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit frEEk's homepage. 
trenace

Needs a job
posted July 18, 2005 12:54 PM        Edited By: trenace on 18 Jul 2005 20:04
The only reason I could be tempted to it (not that others don't have their own valid reasons besides this!) is the thought of "license protection"... there would likely be the "feeling of speed" at much more modest speeds and therefore less risk of a really horrific ticket.

But, the flip side is, spending considerable money to reduce functionality (as I see it) and to reduce speed isn't so appealing to me, at least not now.

But it's possible someday I suppose. Have had worryingly-increasing numbers of bad scares where, had the cop by chance been just a few seconds further up the road coming the other way, I'd have had utterly horrendous tickets. (Police coverage on good riding roads out in the middle of nowhere seems to have stepped way up lately.)

Personally though my guess is I'd have a streetfighter or a regular naked bike only as a second bike, not as the only bike.

And a second bike is nowhere near looking practical any time soon now.

I do like the way they did, I don't know what you'd call it, the "upper lower" cowling fitting so tightly with the engine. Much better than other efforts for the 12 I've seen. And though I'm not 100% thrilled with the front mini-fairing/lights, and maybe I'd like it better yet without the graphics, it's better (to me) than most streetfighters and I wouldn't know what else is better for that. So seems like a good job to me personally.

BTW the company who did it, Geiger Sport or also often called SP12.com is very nice to deal with. Only problems seem to be that it definitely takes a little while for shipping from Germany (don't know how long yet but at least 3 weeks), you have to pay an added cost of about $65 per order to the banks to cover their charges for wiring money, and there is at least a little bit of language barrier in correspondence or in understanding their website.

Ignore this member   
vozizm

Needs a job
Got Nothing Witty To Say
posted July 18, 2005 10:10 PM        
Trenace.. how many bikes do you have....

I only have one cause im po..

Ignore this member   
beansbaxter

Needs a life
posted July 19, 2005 05:31 AM        
wow, i like! never heard of those kind of forks, tell me more about them please.
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit beansbaxter's homepage. 
VincentHill

Needs a life
posted July 19, 2005 06:19 AM        
I think the Red Chain goes a lot too far!

Ignore this member   
trenace

Needs a job
posted July 19, 2005 08:41 AM        Edited By: trenace on 19 Jul 2005 16:14
Voz, same for me, one bike because I really cannot afford more. What I am sorting of doing is spending somewhat less than the money that could have gone to a second bike (but I were smarter I would not be spending at all, I have to admit) and putting it into the one bike.

Beans, I like those forks as well. Two downsides:

1) You can only use that fender and it's kind of short (talk about nitpicking)

2) They cost -- together with the required new triple tree and fender -- 2500 Euros!! If I remember right. Which is about $3000. That is about the going rate though for premium forks plus an aftermarket triple tree, let alone an adjustable one and a fender (I am hoping it is carbon fiber, I am not sure, the pics I have seen of it are painted) included too.

The triple tree is gorgeous though. Potentially saves weight, as this company has another upper triple clamp (won't work with the 50 mm forks) that is 1.1 lb lighter than stock (or perhaps it is, is that much lighter in combination with their bars, I am not sure) so there is at least the potential for Marzocchi to have saved weight here.

Don't know if this image will hotlink:

If not it is at:

Marzocchi triple tree pic

The steering geometry is adjustable with 3 different positions.

They are 50 mm. They are available in black as well as that red. They are available in either radial-mount brakes (108 mm, matching stock 2004/2005 ZX-12R) or in conventional mount. I did not get details on the conventional mount.

There are also similar Marzocchi's in 43 mm to fit the stock triple tree or aftermarket triple clamps purchased for the stock forks.

Mr Hill, I agree on the chain!

As well as a lot of the other red-lined graphics! Which I guess are intended to play off the forks?

BTW, nice to see some in-use pics of those frame sliders. Now it's possible to see better how they relate to foot position -- pretty obviously no problem. As well as how far they really stick out and allowing an eyeballing of whether it seems like they would be effective -- does seem that way to me.

Ignore this member   
beansbaxter

Needs a life
posted July 19, 2005 09:35 AM        
why's the front rim green in some pictures and red in others?
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit beansbaxter's homepage. 
trenace

Needs a job
posted July 19, 2005 09:48 AM        
Looks to me like they changed front wheels for the track riding for some reason. Maybe faster to change to a different rim with tire already mounted, but wrong color stripe, than changing the tire?

Definitely for the staged photo pics they avoided that, but at least a couple of the on-track pics are that way.

Ignore this member   
vozizm

Needs a job
Got Nothing Witty To Say
posted July 20, 2005 12:17 AM        
T..you did order some of those sliders no?

Ignore this member   
trenace

Needs a job
posted July 20, 2005 03:06 PM        
Yes, about a month ago actually. Haven't arrived yet even though they said 3-4 weeks.

They haven't charged my card yet so I guess they haven't even arrived at the company yet (Wild Hair Accessories -- they're not from the SP12 people.)

Hopefully sometime soon!

Ignore this member   
trenace

Needs a job
posted July 20, 2005 06:19 PM        
Correction on the adjustability of the triple tree for steering geometry: six positions. (Do not know what range they are, but Michael Geiger has a good reputation for his ZX-12R racebikes in Germany, so I certainly expect that that should include the desirable range.)
  Ignore this member   
trenace

Needs a job
posted July 28, 2005 01:56 PM        Edited By: trenace on 28 Jul 2005 21:53
Voz, I finally got in those frame protectors.

They don't fit my '05 out of the box and so they perhaps wouldn't fit any B model either out of the box. Can't say about A models. The problem simply is that the threaded rod that fits through the upper motor mount is just too big, probably only a trace too big, to fit through. I hope it won't be necessary to turn down the rod and use a smaller nut, not only because that would be a little bit of a nuisance but also because that rod is really thin already.

Can anyone tell from the above pics whether that streetfighter is an A or a B model? What with all the mods, I cannot! Can't even count the cooling fans, as apparently there are none! But probably someone knows how to do it by the swingarm, or another way!

UPDATE: checked the parts manual, A and B models use the same drilled-through or hollow-center, whatever you want to call it, long bolt for the upper engine mount, 92151-1559.

So the fit should be the same from A models to B models.

It's possible that it's a pretty tiny interference like thousandths of an inch, but it's sure enough to stop it. Will look at it more tomorrow.

Ignore this member   
tuusinii

Pro
posted July 28, 2005 03:23 PM        
That fighter is late B-model ('04 or '05) because it has dual butterfly valves in the throttle bodies.
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit tuusinii's homepage. 
trenace

Needs a job
posted July 28, 2005 04:02 PM        
Cool! Sharp eye!
  Ignore this member   
trenace

Needs a job
posted July 29, 2005 06:01 PM        Edited By: trenace on 30 Jul 2005 01:06
Voz, the frame sliders went on fine. They couldn't have been more than a couple of thousandths oversize right at the threads to slide though that long drilled-through upper engine mount bolt; either that or my particular engine mount bolt was a trace undersized relative to normal (that probably is more likely.)

I bought a wooden dowel that by chance was virtually the same size, and then trimmed it down to where it just barely fit through. Its diameter then measured the same as the diameter of the threaded rod in question of the frame sliders, but there must have been a trace of difference -- either that or the fact that wood can deform to fit around any localized tight spots but metal does not do so as easily -- but anyhow it was clear it was already really, really close to fitting.

Just sanded the threads a bit, not where there's even anything visibly detectable, and got it. In no way was it harmed in the process nor is that a visible section.

Haven't ridden with it yet (just got it on) but it's very obvious it will never, ever be in the way of the feet. Plenty of room.

Seems like a really fine item! I'd recommend it. It is also nicely manufactured.

Ignore this member   
aliveagain

Needs a life
posted July 29, 2005 11:45 PM        
Curious as to why they would put alot of work into the bike and not have the ignition,sprocket and alternator cover powder coated.Even the water pump stands out.I like the design although I'm not with the chain either.On my bikes, i've learned to paint the inside or bolt heads to keep the rust out.

Ignore this member   
aliveagain

Needs a life
posted July 29, 2005 11:49 PM        
I've heard of Marzocchi before as they're on the Bimoto's.I was told the seals were expensive and not to do too many wheelies if I bought the bike,sb8r.

Ignore this member   
trenace

Needs a job
posted July 30, 2005 09:43 AM        
Thanks for the info on the Marzocchi's, aliveagain. Fortunately (given that fact) I avoid wheelies and for that matter have bought, not installed yet though, the wheelie-limiter from Schnitz (so as to be able to keep it right on the edge of maximum acceleration) so I should be OK there, but for others then those forks could definitely be the wrong choice for that reason.

On the clutch cover, I'd thought that powder coating was OK but a number of guys have warned me strongly against it, saying that the powder coating tends to hold in heat which is the last thing desired.

The sprocket cover could certainly be painted, but I think not powder coated as I thought it was plastic... never actually checked though.

Personally the "coated magnesium" color of those parts (in some cases they actually are, in others not) doesn't bother me on that bike, but has on others, so I can definitely see your point there.

BTW, did you have specific inside bolt heads in mind that particularly need painting on the 12 for rust issues? I've never had a rust problem but always open to learning improvements, thanks!

Ignore this member   
aliveagain

Needs a life
posted July 30, 2005 12:00 PM        
My bad on the Marzocchi,I think Bimoto uses Paiola forks.I don't know if its a need thing as opposed to a look thing,I started on my Harley and the allen heads would rust.So I painted the inside of the heads the same color as the pin striping.On the 12 ,I put paint the same color as the body work on the bolts for the rearsets,tie down bolts,brake mounts just cause I was bored.Black works as well also.As far as powder coating,I'm cheap,I used krylon spray can.

Ignore this member   
trenace

Needs a job
posted July 30, 2005 01:24 PM        Edited By: trenace on 30 Jul 2005 20:33
Definitely sounds like a good touch... I'll keep it in mind on the bolts. Thanks!

You know, on the 'fighter thing, I was just thinking. Definitely there is no way I would go to that as a permanent deal. Wind protection and better aerodynamics are just basically a good idea and a good thing.

However, it could be fun to try, the more I think about it, and it's not as if changing from one to the other would be much work.

Also could be a nice bit of weight savings.

There is not much weight to be saved on the 12's fairings even if switching to carbon fiber... I don't have the exact figures now but I worked it out before, and it's something like only 2 or 3 lb each for upper and lowers, even less for the tail and gas tank cover (about 1 lb each.)

But omitting the upper and lower fairings ENTIRELY as well as leaving off the stock headlight (which someone has said is heavy though I've never checked for myself) and replacing only with that little nosepiece and light headlight, and possibly that probably really-flyweight "midpanel" that that above bike has or maybe even just this for the ram air entrance:

could maybe be a 12-15 lb weight savings or something. What with everything else I'm doing, that would get me almost identical to stock (sigh) ZX-10R weight.

Obviously it would be a setback at speeds over 100, obviously the full fairing would be going back on again after a while, but at speeds below that that would be a nice little savings, and the overall deal could be fun as a change-up...

However that nosepiece isn't presently being sold by SP12 so far as I can tell.

Ignore this member   
trenace

Needs a job
posted August 12, 2005 11:53 AM        Edited By: trenace on 12 Aug 2005 19:16
Looks like the parts for the "SP12-F" are now available. Who knows, I might try it... definitely as how I want my bike to be generally that will remain faired, but this could be a fun "change of clothes."

And way cheaper than buying a ZRX or Z1000 or other bike to have a naked bike for that same (but slower) change of pace:

"Lenkerverkleidung," includes headlight and turn signals, 545 Euros including holders

"Bugspoiler," 200 Euros (don't know if I'd bother with it, though it does look OK.)

Radiator covers, 350 Euros

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 2 pages long: 1  2     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX12R ZONE.com > Thread: A ZX-12R fighter f0r those liking such NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2022 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.50169587135315 seconds processing time