HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX10R ZONE.com > Thread: oil and coolant to use? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
raytwood

Parking Attendant
posted March 09, 2008 06:39 AM        
oil and coolant to use?

please help, not sure what oil and coolant to run in 07 zx10r

Ignore this member   
Ninja Thou

Parking Attendant
Outstanding
posted March 18, 2008 07:11 AM        Edited By: Ninja Thou on 18 Mar 2008 08:16

Dunno if I'm qualified to welcome you to the site... but welcome anyway; I'm new to this site too.

If your bike has done less than 700 miles use motor cycle MINERAL oil and vary the throttle opening & RPM a lot. Use more of both the closer you get to 700 miles... ie, the day your bike reaches 650 miles set your shift light at 12,500 RPM & use full throttle and make the light come on.... if you have the balls and the road to do that. This practice is for bedding a new engine in. The viscosity of the oil depends on the air temp of your local area/season. Go to your local Kawa dealer and he will be able to help you on that point. After 700 miles use the best oil you can afford. I use Motul full synthyetic in my bikes and it has served me well in my 04 Ninja thou, DRZ 400E and a YZF 750SP for over a decade.... I need a Honda to complete the japanese quadrella.
Shame my Moriwaki K2 got written off 20 or so years ago. Again; make sure you use the correct viscosity for your local conditions. Here in this part of Australia it's hot enough to warrant 10/50 in the Suzi and TEN/FORTY for the ZX10 this time of year.

As for coolant, get the purest commercialy available ethelene glycol coolant/anti freeze you can get. BP have a product that is over 90% glycol, and mix it 50/50 with the softest, purest water you can get. Depends on your area, but tap water can contain a lot of minerals and you want to avoid that. Rain water out of tanks is very good as long as it is free of organic material such as leaves/plant residue, dead possums etc. Any impurities that will make the mixture froth must be eliminated. Soft water is friendly to the metal, seals, and hoses of your engine but if it is contaminatad with mineral or organic matter, it will readily froth, which is bad with a capitol B so make sure the water you use to dilute the glycol with is pure. You can buy coolant glycol premixed but who knows how pure the water is they use!

Ignore this member   
achevalier

Parking Attendant
posted March 18, 2008 09:43 AM        
Oil

Shell Rotella T full synthetic 5W 40. Perfect oil and not too expensive.

Ignore this member   
philmy3rdleg

Expert Class
posted March 18, 2008 12:10 PM        
+1 for Rotella and Engine Ice for coolant.
  Ignore this member   
Ninja Thou

Parking Attendant
Outstanding
posted March 18, 2008 10:22 PM        
Cool bananas,

Down here it's regularly over 90 degrees F and almost never under 70. Do you reckon Rotella 5 - 40 would be ok for me? Motul is costing me an arm and a leg every oil change.

Achevelier, you have introduced me to the "Perfect oil" how about introducing me to the perfect woman.

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX10R ZONE.com > Thread: oil and coolant to use? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.25581312179565 seconds processing time