HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX10R ZONE.com > Thread: upgrade the brakes NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
BALTIMORE410

Expert Class
posted May 14, 2012 10:28 AM        
upgrade the brakes

i been doin some research and before i start putting more power into my bike i wanna addre the brakes first... stock setup rubber hoses and all i understand changing the brake lines and upgrading the brake pads along with the expensive rotors on the aftermarket my thing is would it be cheaper to take the entire front brakes altogether for say the 08-09 zx10r front brake calibers and rotors?

Ignore this member    Click here to visit BALTIMORE410's homepage. 
BALTIMORE410

Expert Class
posted May 16, 2012 11:26 AM        
so from what i been reading up on change the brake master cylinder and the brake pads and lines and if possible find another set of rotors from a preceeding year im guesing
shiphteey

Needs a job
posted June 14, 2012 06:38 AM        
Good pads in NISSIN calipers, Tokicos are trash. Braided lines would be good. OEM rotors are good for the job.

Topping out everything from Ninja 250s to nitrous ZX-14s.

Ignore this member   
BALTIMORE410

Expert Class
posted June 14, 2012 10:14 AM        
oem speaking what year and model would be the best as far as an upgrade? salvage yard here in baltimore has a TON of kawasaki bikes being parted out i know i could easily sort thru the pile of crap to get or piece together what i need
Kneeburner

Expert Class
posted August 02, 2012 05:04 PM        
I don't know what year Kawi you have but you really don't have to spend a lot to upgrade the brakes it just depends on how crazy you want to get. Put steel braided or carbon fiber lines on change out the pads to something better and see how it feels. If your mostly street riding the bike that should be plenty of improvement. If you trackday a lot then perhaps a larger master cylinder from Brembo. I find the brakes on all my ZX10's were greatly improved with lines and pads. My 04 is track only and did not have a radial master cylinder I bolted on a radial master cylinder from an R1 and upgraded to Vesrah srjl pads made a huge improvement. The R1 master was cheap like 150. If your just street riding the Vesrah rjl pad is a better choice than the srjl.

Ignore this member   
Looser Dude

Parking Attendant
68GTS
posted October 16, 2012 02:51 PM        
On a gen 4 the ZX14 Nissins fronts calipers are supose to be a great bolt on upgrade.

Ignore this member   
Kneeburner

Expert Class
posted October 17, 2012 11:40 AM        
I just bolted on a set of Galfer Superbike rotors on my 04. Wow what a difference they are ductile iron instead of stainless steel. Huge difference in braking power. The superbike rotors are not for street use though.

Ignore this member   
Davo10R

Parking Attendant
posted January 11, 2013 02:30 AM        
Yo, everyone always hates on the 04/05 brakes but you can make them work the right parts. On my 04 I put a set of CRG levers, Spiegler lines and EBC Pads...it sucked!!!...haa. My bike was stolen so I got the opportunity should I say to do it all over on a 05. This time I went with Braking LE1 levers from Mike at Ridersdiscount.com..much nicer then CRG....Gafler Lines...the set that has a single line from the master then splits into two....way better than Spiegler. I picked up a set of Ferodo pads...one up from the ST othewise you wont notice much difference. I put some Mogul fluid in as well. Bleed them carefully then go for a long ride and get them hot. Come back and crack the valves one more time. Its worth the extra step trust me. The four pad calipers on the 04 offer loads of feel which is great for mid corner braking. They are not just firm and wooden. Before I did this I thought they sucked like everyone else. With the new levers you can adjust them away from the bar and I have never had problem since. Braking makes some serious rotors too if you want real power and not a fashion statement.

Ignore this member   
Davo10R

Parking Attendant
posted January 11, 2013 02:32 AM        
Yo, everyone always hates on the 04/05 brakes but you can make them work the right parts. On my 04 I put a set of CRG levers, Spiegler lines and EBC Pads...it sucked!!!...haa. My bike was stolen so I got the opportunity should I say to do it all over on a 05. This time I went with Braking LE1 levers from Mike at Ridersdiscount.com..much nicer then CRG....Gafler Lines...the set that has a single line from the master then splits into two....way better than Spiegler. I picked up a set of Ferodo pads...one up from the ST othewise you wont notice much difference. I put some Mogul fluid in as well. Bleed them carefully then go for a long ride and get them hot. Come back and crack the valves one more time. Its worth the extra step trust me. The four pad calipers on the 04 offer loads of feel which is great for mid corner braking. They are not just firm and wooden. Before I did this I thought they sucked like everyone else. With the new levers you can adjust them away from the bar and I have never had problem since. Braking makes some serious rotors too if you want real power and not a fashion statement.

Ignore this member   
Kneeburner

Expert Class
posted January 11, 2013 07:32 PM        
Before putting Galfer superbike rotors on. I did the braided lines and motul fluid. The biggist improvement to my 04 was bolting on a Yamaha R1 radial master cylinder huge improvement and cheap to. The 04-05 lacks a radial master cylinder that's what takes the brakes from good to great.

Ignore this member   
BALTIMORE410

Expert Class
posted January 17, 2013 06:10 PM        
COOL thanks man gonna look them up on eBay too see if I can find a deal on them but if not. WOULD ANY STOCK DUCATI BREMBO FRONT BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER WORK?
Kneeburner

Expert Class
posted January 20, 2013 08:53 PM        
quote:
COOL thanks man gonna look them up on eBay too see if I can find a deal on them but if not. WOULD ANY STOCK DUCATI BREMBO FRONT BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER WORK?

I'm sure it would you may need custom lines made. The R1 bolts on with no line modification needed. I bought my from Yamaha a few years ago 150 bucks new. The R1 unit is a Brembo. This combo with the Galfer rotors is amazing for power and feel.

Ignore this member   
BALTIMORE410

Expert Class
posted March 05, 2013 12:54 PM        
UPDATE

2006 zx14r
master cylinder
calipers
goodridge brake lines
arashi rotors

FINNA GET PADS
AND LEVERS NEXT PAY

WHAT BRAND BRAKE FLUID SHOULD I USE??
AFTER THIS MY BRAKING SYSTEM SHOULD BE FINISHED

(((NEXT!!!)))

FORKS!!!

Kneeburner

Expert Class
posted March 07, 2013 02:29 PM        
I use Motul Racing brake fluid Dot 4-5. Its probably overkill on a street bike as it has a super high boiling point. My 04 is track use only. I was using the Castrol GTLMA fluid in my street bikes and it worked great.

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX10R ZONE.com > Thread: upgrade the brakes NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.21924591064453 seconds processing time