HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX10R ZONE.com > Thread: Kawasaki Unveils the Track Only 2015 Ninja H2R - Street Model H2 in November NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Staff

Administrator
posted September 30, 2014 12:42 AM        Edited By: frEEk on 30 Sep 2014 09:53
Kawasaki Unveils the Track Only 2015 Ninja H2R - Street Model H2 in November

After a month long teaser campaign Kawasaki hit the stage at the Intermot bike show to unveil the secretive 2015 Ninja H2... R. The track only model is now official, but data on the new bike is limited so far, and we don't get to see or learn about the street legal model until November's EICMA show.

Click on the images for high res versions of each photo.

2015 Kawasaki Ninja H2R

Kawasaki says:
When the Ninja H2™R motorcycle was conceived by Kawasaki, the driving concept behind its development was to offer the kind of acceleration most riders had never experienced. Being “Fun to Ride” is one of Kawasaki’s guiding principles, and while there are many ways for a motorcycle to be enjoyed, strong acceleration was considered to be a major factor in delivering rider exhilaration.

To achieve this goal, the Ninja H2R is powered by a supercharged engine and boasts power output in the region of 300hp. Yet it has a compact design similar to power units found in the supersport category.
Although the Ninja H2R will be a production motorcycle, its huge horsepower means it is only available as a closed-course model. Fitted with slick racing tires, it may not be ridden on public roads and should only be ridden by experienced riders.

The key to achieving the incredible performance lies in the supercharger, which was designed specifically for this application and completely in-house. Its development drew on technologies from other companies within Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Ltd. (KHI), such as the Gas Turbine & Machinery Company, Aerospace Company and Corporate Technology Division.

Technology created by the KHI Group was not limited to the supercharger. In fact, shared technology from other group companies can be found throughout the all-new engine and chassis. For example, the carbon-fiber upper and lower winglets were designed with assistance from Kawasaki’s Aerospace Company. These parts increase stability when riding in the ultra-high speed range and were critical to the motorcycle’s overall design. This is one example, but the KHI Group collaboration and the level of technology poured into the new motorcycle is why the Kawasaki River Mark* is prominently displayed on the front of the Ninja H2R.

When it came to naming the motorcycle, “Ninja” was an obvious choice because it is synonymous with Kawasaki performance and has been shared by many legendary Kawasaki models over the years. Its model designation is also derived from another iconic model, with its 750 two-stroke Triple that gave it intense acceleration, making it a sensation around the world: the 750SS Mach IV, also known as the “H2.” For a model designed to offer “the kind of acceleration no rider has experienced before,” Ninja H2R is the ideal name.

Built Beyond Belief. Kawasaki is ready to unleash a new sensation on the world: the Ninja H2R motorcycle.

Features:

UNRIVALLED ACCELERATION
In order to offer intense acceleration and a top speed most riders will never experience, it was essential the engine could produce substantial horsepower. While a large-displacement engine could easily provide high output, a compact engine was preferred to ensure a lightweight, compact package.
A supercharged engine is able to provide high-performance in a downsized package, meeting the project’s requirements. As a result, the 998cc in-line Four has a maximum output of around 300hp.

KAWASAKI SUPERCHARGER
The supercharger in the Ninja H2R was designed by Kawasaki motorcycle engine designers with assistance from other companies within the KHI Group, namely the Gas Turbine & Machinery Company, Aerospace Company and the Corporate Technology Division.
Designing it in-house has helped to match the characteristics of the 998cc four-cylinder engine. The highly efficient, motorcycle-specific supercharger was the key to achieving the power and intense acceleration the engineers desired.

CHASSIS DESIGN
The objectives for the Ninja H2R chassis were to provide stability at ultra-high track speeds, and offer cornering performance to be able to enjoy circuit riding. At the same time, it needed to have an accommodating character.
Ordinarily, high-speed stability can be achieved with a long wheelbase. However, the engineers wanted a shorter wheelbase to achieve the compact packaging and sharp handling that were also desired. Furthermore, the frame needed to be stiff, yet had to absorb external forces encountered while riding in the ultra-high speed range. Such conditions could easily unsettle the chassis, so a new trellis frame was developed using the latest analysis technology. It provided both the strength to harness the incredible power of the supercharged engine, and balanced flex to help stability for high-speed competition riding.

AERODYNAMICS
Since wind resistance increases exponentially with speed, the Ninja H2R needed a combination of high power and smooth aerodynamics to operate in the ultra-high speed range. With the power requirements taken care of by the supercharger, the next step was to design bodywork that both minimized aerodynamic drag and increased stability when riding at speed.
Kawasaki’s Aerospace Company was enlisted to assist with the creation of the wind tunnel-sculpted bodywork to help aerodynamic efficiency.

INTENSE-FORCE DESIGN
Wanting to create a bold design worthy of the Ninja and H2R names, the styling concept was dubbed “Intense Force Design.”
As a flagship for the Kawasaki brand, the Ninja H2R required presence and styling that reflected its incredible performance. And while the design looks the part, it has a functional beauty, with each piece of bodywork aerodynamically sculpted to help ultra-high speed stability.
The cowling design also maximizes cooling performance and heat dissipation, helping to achieve the engine’s circa 300hp output. And the Ram Air duct is positioned to bring fresh air directly to the supercharger.
More than any motorcycle Kawasaki has built to date, the Ninja H2R is a showcase of craftsmanship, build quality and superb fit and finish, right down to its high-tech mirror-finish black chrome paint that was specially developed for this model.

*The Kawasaki River Mark is a well-established symbol of the KHI Group, dating back to the 1870s. As a policy, it is rarely used on products and is limited to models with historical significance. As such, permission was granted for use on the Ninja® H2™R motorcycle.

Specs:

Engine: Supercharged, in-line Four, liquid-cooled
Displacement: 998cc
Supercharger: Centrifugal, scroll-type
Maximum Power: approx 300hp
Frame: Trellis, high-tensile steel
Front Tire: 120/600 R17 (racing slick)
Rear Tire: 190/650 R17 (racing slick)

NOTES
1. The Ninja H2R is a closed-course model; it may not be ridden on public roads
2. The Ninja H2R is a mass-production model
3. The street model (Ninja H2) will be released at EICMA

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Staff's homepage. 
frEEk

Administrator
ummm... yeah
posted September 30, 2014 08:38 AM        
quote:
didnt catch a price tag in that official release, or did I miss something?

Nada. Neither was weight supplied, which I was a bit disappointed in.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit frEEk's homepage. 
Gunner

Needs a life
posted September 30, 2014 09:01 AM        Edited By: Gunner on 30 Sep 2014 17:11
I'm going to say this current model shown will weigh 375 pounds on the high guess and 350 on the low side. Not seeing it yet but guessing what removing the carbon , mag wheels, adding plastic bits in place along with lighs, wires, key switches, turn signals, mirrors, etc it will be 415 to 425 at best.. Give it 225 to 250 hp and ill own the first one in this town for sure.

Ignore this member   
DRB

Parking Attendant
posted September 30, 2014 10:25 AM        
Although the Ninja H2R will be a production motorcycle, its huge horsepower means it is only available as a closed-course model
  Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted September 30, 2014 10:38 AM        
Yamaha is likely to take a good solid chunk from Kawi's glory if that 270 ++ street ready R1 proves to be real.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit fish_antlers's homepage. 
tinhead

Expert Class
posted September 30, 2014 11:39 AM        
Bennetts website reports the H2R price as 50,000 pounds sterling.
Just north of $81,000.

Ignore this member   
frEEk

Administrator
ummm... yeah
posted September 30, 2014 03:47 PM        
Yeah but my understanding is everything costs more in the UK. Probably be a chunk less than that in the US.... but still suggests > $50g though.
tinhead

Expert Class
posted September 30, 2014 04:07 PM        
I'm just parroting what I heard. The ONLY thing I've heard price-wise.
I can understand scepticism, seeing as the number came from an insurance company.

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted September 30, 2014 07:59 PM        
Had the $58k number confirmed by a pretty reliable source so pegging it in that area is reasonable. Not sure which version that applies to though. 80 for the fancy pants carbon on and 58 for the pedestrian street unit?

Gunner

Needs a life
posted October 01, 2014 07:08 AM        Edited By: Gunner on 1 Oct 2014 15:18
Street version will NEVER pull 58K from anyone's pocket... Possibly some Ubber rich squids will pay that but any hard core motorcycle person won't. It's rumored to only have 200 Hp for the street version which isn't all that much more than the standard 10R and less than a well prepped 14R... It better have 250 Hp if they hope for it to sell any better than the 12R did. I hope Kawasaki don't pull another 12R stunt and fumble the ball on the 1 inch line!

I'm a bit pissed off they pulled this the way they did after hyping the thing to death they only show a racing Prototype that only God can afford or gain access to. The street version should have shown first and the race only Prototype should have shown sometime later... The facts are if I were a betting man and I am they didn't have it ready. Why would a race bike have a tail light? Look close and you'll notice this supposed race bike has a tail light meaning it's the street bike as far as they could get it finished that got finished off with the race parts and shipped to the show just to have something to display. Any takers on that bet?

They better hope it has more than 200 Hp or there's going to be a lot of sad sack SOB's that have forked over big money to own the fastest thing on wheels only to have my sub 400 pound 14 year old 12R hand them their ass for lunch along with just about every other 14 and 14R that's in the hands of capable builders and riders. It better be at least 250 Hp and weigh 350 pounds and sell for under 20K.. I'm not even giving the H2R any street credibility since it's a lot closer to a MotoGp bike than a street bike.

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted October 01, 2014 08:31 AM        
That's a lo fine and we'll, but your criteria is a little unreasonable - sub 350 lbs, 250hp and costs less than 20k? Who has EVER built that? Not to mention Ducati and other have successfully sold out of less for more. Maybe this bike isn't for Joe America. And also consider that maybe there is a price barrier in place to help stop Joe America from easily getting his hands on that much HP and killing himself with it in front of the local Stbx.

frEEk

Administrator
ummm... yeah
posted October 01, 2014 01:22 PM        
I'm getting the feeling that I'm virtually alone in being disappointed at the steel trellis frame... or at least I think I am. I can't imagine that it would be lighter than an aluminium (or carbon) frame of the same strength. I'm worried they took that approach just to be different or to win some exotica points based on the other high-end market manufacturers using that approach. Similar with the swingarm. Single side can't possibly be as light or otherwise as good as a standard swingarm. Going this far to make something super light and out there, but then compromizing on a couple major items for style vs functionality would be be an engineering disgrace. I can only hope that at least the frame decision genuinely was a good one, that it was somehow functionally better than Al.
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted October 01, 2014 02:16 PM        
No idea why you would be disappointed in that frame style it won races for Ducati for decades and is a proven design.

Gunner

Needs a life
posted October 01, 2014 03:51 PM        
quote:
That's a lo fine and we'll, but your criteria is a little unreasonable - sub 350 lbs, 250hp and costs less than 20k? Who has EVER built that? Not to mention Ducati and other have successfully sold out of less for more. Maybe this bike isn't for Joe America. And also consider that maybe there is a price barrier in place to help stop Joe America from easily getting his hands on that much HP and killing himself with it in front of the local Stbx.

Ducati haven't won much in a decade. They are the best V Twin on the planet that much most everyone knows but DON'T FORGET THE WENT TITS UP! If their approach to motorcycles was so wonderful I doubt they would have went OUT OF BUSINESS for all intents and purposes and required Audi to buy them up to prevent the doors from closing forever. There pricing is out of line that's the bottom line. There's no reason Kawasaki can't market the street version for under 20K. I realize Canadians are use to paying a lot more for the same shit Joe American pays less for. However Joe America's as a whole will own the majority of those things whether it's Squids at Bike Night or hard core riders that use them to go around corners. I personally will hate seeing anyone take on and slam it to the ground and LSR it or drag race it... THAT WOULD BE A CRIME TO DO WITH SUCH A BIKE.. However I heard Brock already talking about putting a long swingarm on the thing ..........PUKE!

Unreasonable or not if it only ends up in street trim making 200Hp and weighs 400 pounds or any bit more who's going to pay retarded money for it when a Gen4 10R will already make 200 Hp and is already 400 pounds for 10K brand new. Pay more to go slower? Who? Why? Just to say you own the newest and trickest? Isn't that the definition of a squid or poser? 300 Hp is certainly mean as hell but if it's for track use only and can't be street ridden what good is that for 98% of the market? Time will tell and what Yamaha does will also have a huge impact on this thing as well..

Ignore this member   
Gunner

Needs a life
posted October 01, 2014 04:19 PM        
quote:
I'm getting the feeling that I'm virtually alone in being disappointed at the steel trellis frame... or at least I think I am. I can't imagine that it would be lighter than an aluminium (or carbon) frame of the same strength. I'm worried they took that approach just to be different or to win some exotica points based on the other high-end market manufacturers using that approach. Similar with the swingarm. Single side can't possibly be as light or otherwise as good as a standard swingarm. Going this far to make something super light and out there, but then compromizing on a couple major items for style vs functionality would be be an engineering disgrace. I can only hope that at least the frame decision genuinely was a good one, that it was somehow functionally better than Al.

Actually the aluminum frames aren't as durable as this style frame and as Ducati have learned the hard way when the switched away from this style frame it actually works pretty damn good. I like the new frame strictly from a mechanics stand point I'm over working around and under an aluminum frame spar. The more significant thing about this to me is that Kawasaki has finally given up on the Mono frame idea that they have been such a supporter of for so long. Long before the 12R's frame Kawasaki built KR based race bikes with Mono frames.. I love my 12R clearly but I'm not insanely crazy about the frame if I had to pick one part of the design I don't care for. It's unique and that's fine but it's not really what anyone would call light weight. The single sided swingarm I can't imagine why they would do that. Those have all but been abandoned by everyone that's competitive on the race track. All the front running RACE WINNING bikes have standard swingarms now. Except the Ducati which hasn't been dominant in a decade and their new stuff don't even have a frame so it's hard to say how their stuff really works but they are doing better than they have in a couple years of late.

Again I just hope Kawasaki don't pull a 12R episode and denut this thing in the 11th hour. This whole marketing stunt is a failure to me since they showed us nothing but a race bike and a bag full of promises about the street bike. Who doesn't think they can't build as trick of a race bike as anyone else? Their last MotoGp effort was a very trick piece that they could have just as easily put on display and said " Look at what we can do would you like to own one?" And yet not price it leaving everyone to make wild guesses. What would be the purpose of that? Time will tell what they really have when the street bike is actually released and the full specifications along with it INCLUDING PRICE, WEIGHT, POWER.

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted October 01, 2014 05:26 PM        
Freek - you hate the single sided swing arm too?

DRB

Parking Attendant
posted October 01, 2014 07:58 PM        
This is the quote from the press release above .......... Although the Ninja H2R will be a production motorcycle, its huge horsepower means it is only available as a closed-course model

It's already saying the huge HP is too much for the street so unless they're going to do away with their 186mph top speed limit this bike is only going to be a high priced bike with potential.

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted October 01, 2014 08:40 PM        
Sorry - what does the 186 mph limit have anything to do with RWHP? They aren't related.

DRB

Parking Attendant
posted October 01, 2014 09:30 PM        
Sorry - but they go hand in hand.......
  Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted October 01, 2014 09:34 PM        
No they don't. You can limit a 300 hp machine to 186 mph just like you can limit a 200 hp machine to 186 mph just like you can limit a 160 hp machine to 186 mph.

The 186 mph electronic limit is totally unrelated to the HP of the machine it limits.

Explain yourself.

DRB

Parking Attendant
posted October 01, 2014 10:06 PM        
But when you limit the 300 HP bike to only 186 mph then the bike isn't making 300 HP anymore. It may have the potential for 300 but isn't putting 300 to the rear tire. It's not rocket science lol
  Ignore this member   
tuusinii

Pro
posted October 02, 2014 04:09 AM        
I was also supprised by the steel frame. I tink the only reason for it is it takes less space. And if you look where KHI has put the compressor. It's just there where normally is BIG crossbar of alumium frame. With the steel structure you can cunsume much less space for the same rigidity. And I also don't like the one sided swingarm...

Ignore this member   
tuusinii

Pro
posted October 02, 2014 04:15 AM        
BTW It looks to be ride-by-wire throttle...
  Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted October 02, 2014 06:51 AM        
quote:
But when you limit the 300 HP bike to only 186 mph then the bike isn't making 300 HP anymore. It may have the potential for 300 but isn't putting 300 to the rear tire. It's not rocket science lol

That's a ridiculous statement and makes the mindless assumption that the bike only makes its maximum horsepower at a speed above 186mph.

Apparently motorcycles might just be rocket science for you.

Gunner

Needs a life
posted October 02, 2014 07:19 AM        Edited By: Gunner on 2 Oct 2014 15:28
quote:
I was also supprised by the steel frame. I tink the only reason for it is it takes less space. And if you look where KHI has put the compressor. It's just there where normally is BIG crossbar of alumium frame. With the steel structure you can cunsume much less space for the same rigidity. And I also don't like the one sided swingarm...

The compressor is in the wrong spot! They put it where it packaged up nice but it will heat soak there. Think street bike and traffic lights etc.. Sitting there at the red lights just soaking up all that heat and there's no intercooler in the loop to do away with it. Sure it's not a turbo and doesn't have the turbin side to deal with all it's heat related issues but there's the cylinders and very little air flow behind them.. It's cool looking where it's at and I'm sure it pumps power out on the dyno where there's fans blowing up a storm to carry away heat but the compressor should have been down low and out front for the sake of heat soak and low center of gravity, mostly for the sake of keeping things as cool as possible but it wouldn't look nearly as cool up there. Also the weigh of it out front would have helped keep the front tire on the ground. Clearly the design engineers for the looks department won out over the guys in charge of intelligent placement of said parts. LOL. The bike is cool but there are several things already visible to anyone that understands performance that were sacrificed for the sake of packaging and a design pleasing to the eye. Single side swingarm is POSER CENTRAL just as under the seat exhaust was for several years of Monkey see Monkey do I see a Monkey just like you. It's not light weight and it's nearly impossible to get the flex right on. Only one team still races that design. It was cool at one time for quick wheel and tire changes but even that has been made just as fast with double sided designs that offer much more control over such silly things as flex. In this case it appears cool won out over function. Star Bucks parking lots will be just a humpin with really fast guys sporting new H2's

As for the 300 Hp and 186 MPH........ How much of that power do you think you can use at that wheelbase? Wheelies will be fun but my bet is the thing will have a ton of electronics that won't allow wheelies and will CUT the power to a much lesser number anytime the front wheel is attempting to go up or the rear wheel is attempting to spin. IN the meantime you own a really cool latest and greatest Whoopie Cickle that's getting it's ass handed to it by much older and meaner junk. One thing that's without doubt is Kawasaki will not turn Joe Canadian LOL loose with 300 hp without limiters on it to keep him from killing himself AKA -----------------------> A wrongful death lawsuit that a good attorney could easily win. They will protect from that by selling them as closed course models with limiters for street use.. They will be hacked without doubt as well but then you're right back to how much power can you use at that wheelbase? Even if it's got full use of the 300 your right hand won't be able to turn the throttle past much over half way in all but the top couple of gears meanwhile much lesser bikes are already gone down the road. But you'll look Ubber cool at bike night!

Would I buy one? Possibly depending on several factors. The leading reason I would own one is I've owned just about every noteworthy Kawasaki since the 1970's and still own most of the today. This bike certainly has a place in my collection...

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 3 pages long: 1  2  3     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX10R ZONE.com > Thread: Kawasaki Unveils the Track Only 2015 Ninja H2R - Street Model H2 in November NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.27140593528748 seconds processing time