HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > BIKE CHAT > Thread: Break In Techniques NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
BlackMandingoWarrior

Expert Class
posted January 16, 2002 12:52 PM        
Break In Techniques

Hey Doug - I was reading the information provided on this site mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm about break-in of new motors. The dyno break-in sounded a lot like what you were saying. What do you think about the street break-in technique. Seems to be in direct contradiction of the manufacturers recommendations, i.e. break the motor in gently. Have you ever heard of this guy Motoman?? Looks like he participates in AMA also. The rationale seems sound, just solicating another expert opinion. Plus I'm chompin at the bit to get into the power band of this beast!!!

BMW

Ignore this member   
dougmeyer

Needs a job
moderated
posted January 16, 2002 02:29 PM        
yeah, I pretty much agree with him. (Don't know him)
I've always said, "just go ride the damn thing". Ride it easy at first, then harder. Don't be afraid of rpm, just minimize the load and heat. Change the oil a few times between 0-1500 miles. Make sure that before you have the "1st service" you've ridden it about as hard as you going to at least once. That's about it.
Doug

Ignore this member   
BlackMandingoWarrior

Expert Class
posted January 16, 2002 09:35 PM        
Thanks Doug...

Just what I wanted to hear. Next time I have it out I'm gonna "just ride the damn thing"!!! This short shifting is terrible and watching the tach is gonna get me killed. How long should I wait before I put on a pipe/pc3r and start tuning?? I also want to dyno the bike before I do any mods so that I can establish a baseline reference. I'm thinking after 3K or so miles. Additionally do you recommend any paticular oil for the break-in period. I intend on going to a full synthetic eventually but doing the first 3 oil changes with petrolium base 10w40. Last, my buddy said he just got on the waiting list for the 1360 kit, are they that high in demand??? He is considering putting it in himself and wants me to help. He watched me repair my transmission in my 9R so he thinks we can do it. Honestly I don't think it is something I would tackle because I have never been into an engine before. I've done head gaskets on cars before but never anything to the lower half of the block. We live in Dayton OH, can you recommend someone to build the engine for us?? We can get it in and out of the bike no problem.

BMW

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > BIKE CHAT > Thread: Break In Techniques NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.20921182632446 seconds processing time