HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > BIKE CHAT > Thread: BMW Releases New 1300 K-Series Models NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
flite leader

Zone Head
posted October 14, 2008 08:49 AM        Edited By: flite leader on 14 Oct 2008 16:54
the 1200 S had a litany of factory problems the last 4 years
the "1300" an upsize of the same bike
if improved or upgraded maybe ??? a sound bike
still an expensive one & if issues NOT addressed an iffy one

1- bad front ball joints
2- bad engine management programs..... bad idling & surging [approx 1 doz revisions]
3- bad tranny prroblems
4- bad clutch problems
5- bad final drive failures
6- bad rear suspension linakages resulting in catastrophic failure
7- a few issues with the brake discs
8- ESA not lasting very long resulting in $3000 replacement costs

all of the above issues well known & documented
some NOT resulting in recalls
some customers problems NEVER resolved resulting in bikes being sold

a bit much for $20k+ out the door

Ignore this member   
MJ

Zone Head
posted October 14, 2008 03:39 PM        
quote:

1- bad front ball joints
2- bad engine management programs..... bad idling & surging [approx 1 doz revisions]
3- bad tranny prroblems
4- bad clutch problems

Wow...they sound like heap'em big shit

Ignore this member   
nabrxx

Needs a job
posted October 14, 2008 04:14 PM        
I called it.

Ignore this member   
oncourse

Expert Class
I hate flies!!!
posted October 14, 2008 04:50 PM        
you mean bmtroubleu has issues??

Rob

04 klr 250 Lots of mods and 70 MPG!!
08 Connie 2 bros. Carbon. Helibars. Flies out, PC3!!!
2003 kx 500 SOLD
2004 KX 500 In service now, whata BEAST!

Ignore this member   
SteveWFL

posted October 14, 2008 05:12 PM        
quote:

1- bad front ball joints
3- bad tranny prroblems
4- bad clutch problems

can you cite your source for these statistics for the 2007-2008 1200S please? I'd be interested in seeing that data, especially beofre considering buying one in 2009.

Also please cite your source for the 20K price out the door for the 2009, word on the street is the new one will be cheaper than prior.

I'm not calling BS, but would appreciate a link or such to the data. All the stats and reviews I read about the '07-'08, plus my neighbors with a gazillion miles on his 1200S trouble free, I'm apparently missing something. Thanks in advance, I've had an eye peeled on this '09 bike as a two-up sport tourer to park beside the litre leaner
CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
jw

Novice Class
posted October 14, 2008 07:20 PM        Edited By: jw on 15 Oct 2008 03:27
I've had my 2006 KR and have not had one of those problems.

Some high mileage bikes had ball joints that were going bad and replaced under warranty. 3 year 30,000 miles. Not bad.

Engine management has been touchy but that's because of the attempt to make a high performance motor burn lean with a 3 way cat compatible with the highest compression stock motorcycle motor (13:1). But I'm still on the original mapping that came with the bike. The only thing I have a problem with is the abrupt on/off throttle in 5000-7000rpm corners. Power commander fix no problemo.

Tranny is an big ticket issue but as I stated before, beefed up and fixed.

Bad clutch? A handful maybe but not hugely prevalent. Again, original clutch on mine and no problems.

Bad final drives. Not on the new gen K bikes. On the older RS. but the 1200 are solid.

Rear end suspension link dried out and rusted on like 2 bikes I've heard of. There's thousands and thousands that are fine. Besides it's a simple maintainence thing to check it.

Brake discs non issue. Recall for some ABS K-R bikes to upgrade to a thicker disc. Some K-S rotor bolts were replaced cause they were too short. Again a handful of bikes.

ESA is a waste of time anyway with Ohlins and Wilbers at a fraction of that price and providing more comfort AND better performance.

So, I can vouch for that list that they have ALL been problems. But they have (except for the transmission and the snatchy fueling) been blown out of proportion and/or repaired to everyone's satisfaction.

Here's an excerpt from a post...

However, after visiting the National HIghway Transportation Safety Administration's website (as someone told me to do to see how many problems BMW's have), this is what I found and reported back to them:

...And to appease you further Hell bent a##hole, I did look up information on the Busa, ZX, and K1200S on NHTSA's website. I looked at the past 4 model years since 2005 was when the latest gen K1200S was produced. I don't recall how long the ZX14 has been around as I am not Kawa fan and none of my friends own one to ask. Here is what I found:

Complaints between 2005 - 2008: Busa (11), ZX14 (9), K1200S (3)
Recalls between 2005 - 2008: Busa (4), ZX14 (3), K1200S (9)
TSB's between 2005 - 2008: Busa (5), ZX14 (0), K1200S (0)

Total Issues: Busa (20), ZX14 (12), K1200S (12).

You decide who has had the most problems......

The question on the "Jap" forum was asking if the K1200S compares to the Busa or ZX14. This person was generalizing in saying that because a few other BMW's had problems, they all must be bad.
Rocketier

If BMW has been selling such shit, they would not be growing like a weed these past few years. Expanding their motorcycle range and entering motoGP racing.

I'm originally a kaw owner (zx-11) and currently have the zx-10r next to the KR. I'm not brand loyal, but I think the new K1300 is gonna handle itself well against the very good 14 and the Busa. Think of it as Concours tech in 14's body.

Ignore this member   
SteveWFL

posted October 14, 2008 07:49 PM        
JW thanks for your post! I know several with the late model K series BMW's with no issues. And that one I mentioned with a gazillion miles on it

I'm not interested a straight line racer such as the ZX14 or busa, but a true sport tourer. Matter of fact I've had a 14.

CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
flite leader

Zone Head
posted October 15, 2008 12:56 PM        Edited By: flite leader on 15 Oct 2008 21:17
quote:
I've had my 2006 KR and have not had one of those problems.

Some high mileage bikes had ball joints that were going bad and replaced under warranty. 3 year 30,000 miles. Not bad.

Engine management has been touchy but that's because of the attempt to make a high performance motor burn lean with a 3 way cat compatible with the highest compression stock motorcycle motor (13:1). But I'm still on the original mapping that came with the bike. The only thing I have a problem with is the abrupt on/off throttle in 5000-7000rpm corners. Power commander fix no problemo.

Tranny is an big ticket issue but as I stated before, beefed up and fixed.

Bad clutch? A handful maybe but not hugely prevalent. Again, original clutch on mine and no problems.

Bad final drives. Not on the new gen K bikes. On the older RS. but the 1200 are solid.

Rear end suspension link dried out and rusted on like 2 bikes I've heard of. There's thousands and thousands that are fine. Besides it's a simple maintainence thing to check it.

Brake discs non issue. Recall for some ABS K-R bikes to upgrade to a thicker disc. Some K-S rotor bolts were replaced cause they were too short. Again a handful of bikes.

ESA is a waste of time anyway with Ohlins and Wilbers at a fraction of that price and providing more comfort AND better performance.

So, I can vouch for that list that they have ALL been problems. But they have (except for the transmission and the snatchy fueling) been blown out of proportion and/or repaired to everyone's satisfaction.

Here's an excerpt from a post...

However, after visiting the National HIghway Transportation Safety Administration's website (as someone told me to do to see how many problems BMW's have), this is what I found and reported back to them:

...And to appease you further Hell bent a##hole, I did look up information on the Busa, ZX, and K1200S on NHTSA's website. I looked at the past 4 model years since 2005 was when the latest gen K1200S was produced. I don't recall how long the ZX14 has been around as I am not Kawa fan and none of my friends own one to ask. Here is what I found:

Complaints between 2005 - 2008: Busa (11), ZX14 (9), K1200S (3)
Recalls between 2005 - 2008: Busa (4), ZX14 (3), K1200S (9)
TSB's between 2005 - 2008: Busa (5), ZX14 (0), K1200S (0)

Total Issues: Busa (20), ZX14 (12), K1200S (12).

You decide who has had the most problems......

The question on the "Jap" forum was asking if the K1200S compares to the Busa or ZX14. This person was generalizing in saying that because a few other BMW's had problems, they all must be bad.
Rocketier

If BMW has been selling such shit, they would not be growing like a weed these past few years. Expanding their motorcycle range and entering motoGP racing.

I'm originally a kaw owner (zx-11) and currently have the zx-10r next to the KR. I'm not brand loyal, but I think the new K1300 is gonna handle itself well against the very good 14 and the Busa. Think of it as Concours tech in 14's body.

all the above issues have been chronicled on the i-bmw site

all of them

so your rationale that they sell + they are good = CRAP

some have own 2 since 05 when they were introduced

others have actually Sold theirs out of frustration

& some have had a year dealing with getting them fixed

3 or 4 actually failed last years iron butt in front of god & EVERYBODY
9theyve been making driveshft rear drives near 100 years]

every bmw owner knows approx 20k & the orig suspension becomes wooden

$3000 dollars to replace with the SAME suspension

IS that logical to you ?????????? Please explain

no less BIKE ....road racing worlsd{has a recall page bmw filled up a few months ago}

& several others have panned bmw products

you want more

either vet it out yourself or just ask

i prefer you vet

no less BIKE did a ten (10) bike test a year ago.......of the R [same platform]

the "R" came in a resounding nxt to last

Ignore this member   
jw

Novice Class
posted October 15, 2008 01:25 PM        
Hey I know who this is! It's Red Tail from i-bmw. This guy is frickin hilarious.

He's basically a lot of talk. Thinks he's an expert on everything. And is generally loathed by all the moderators on the i-bmw board. If it weren't for their very lenient policy over there, he would have been shown the door months ago.

His choppy, hard to follow style is unmistakable. Although this post is one of his best.

He claims he can get 10,000+ miles from a set of tires and still out ride you. I think he said 12,000 on the Dragon, right RedTail?

Trust him at your own risk. He doesn't even own a new gen K bike. Here's his sig...

bimota KB2TT laser
harley XR1000
buell SW-1 white lightning
Ducati 888 "SPO"
Ducati 996 "SPS"
Z1R-1000

BMW K1200RS "ORCA"

Ignore this member   
flite leader

Zone Head
posted October 15, 2008 01:27 PM        Edited By: flite leader on 15 Oct 2008 21:31
quote:
Hey I know who this is! It's Red Tail from i-bmw. This guy is frickin hilarious.

He's basically a lot of talk. Thinks he's an expert on everything. And is generally loathed by all the moderators on the i-bmw board. If it weren't for their very lenient policy over there, he would have been shown the door months ago.

His choppy, hard to follow style is unmistakable. Although this post is one of his best.

He claims he can get 10,000+ miles from a set of tires and still out ride you. I think he said 12,000 on the Dragon, right RedTail?

Trust him at your own risk. He doesn't even own a new gen K bike. Here's his sig...

bimota KB2TT laser
harley XR1000
buell SW-1 white lightning
Ducati 888 "SPO"
Ducati 996 "SPS"
Z1R-1000

BMW K1200RS "ORCA"

i know not of what you speak, one does not have to own a bike to know about the positives

or the Neagatives

no less you did NOT refute the issues the new GEN K bmw is having

you did NOT refute a single issue

NOT ONE !!

that is very telling on your part

Ignore this member   
jw

Novice Class
posted October 15, 2008 01:38 PM        Edited By: jw on 15 Oct 2008 21:39
I've extended an invitation to the I-bmw forum to help set the record straight.
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=18178

They may or may not chose to participate.

Like I said, this guy rubs everyone's nerves raw.

Ignore this member   
flite leader

Zone Head
posted October 15, 2008 01:54 PM        
quote:
I've extended an invitation to the I-bmw forum to help set the record straight.
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=18178

They may or may not chose to participate.

Like I said, this guy rubs everyone's nerves raw.

if i were interested in a model motorcycle or car for that matter. if someone raised a litany
of issues with that same said model. i would at least take that info into consideration.
it would be wise to do so.

many magazines owe their existence to objective forthright information NOT their
own personal feelings or agendas. if you wish to make this personal, disallow the facts
it will serve no one.

yet you address NONE of the enumerated issues. you cloud the air & muddy the waters
on conjecture & being personal. whatever you motivation you conspicuously avoid
addressing the issues so enumerated.

how so ?

Ignore this member   
SteveWFL

posted October 15, 2008 08:23 PM        
flite leader, do you have any links to true statistics or JD Powers reports that back up your claim about frequent problems on the late model BMW K1200S , or do you have anything to back up the 20K price you mentioned? As I said I'm open -minded, show me the numbers?

Or are you a major bullshitter
CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
Karlb

Parking Attendant
posted October 16, 2008 04:32 AM        
Ive got 21k on my 05 K1200S with zero issues, dint get to ride as much as I would like since I started ranching full time (used to log 25k per year commuting) the K1200S rocks for sport touring, have owned oilheads airheads and bricks in the past along with ducati's hondas and suzukis over the years

Ignore this member     
GHOSTMAN

Expert Class
posted October 16, 2008 04:51 AM        

Ignore this member   
TheShiva

Parking Attendant
posted October 16, 2008 06:15 AM        Edited By: fish_antlers on 16 Oct 2008 15:59
I am THE SHIVA gud dammnit!
No one usurps my writing prowess.

EDIT BY ADMIN

**** BUT I DO DELETE YOUR FUCKING SPAM ****

CUT IT OUT.

Ignore this member     
MJ

Zone Head
posted October 16, 2008 06:29 PM        
Finally a thread with some meat to it lol. When mods get involved you know its getting good
  Ignore this member   
flite leader

Zone Head
posted October 18, 2008 09:22 AM        
mo drama

quote:
flite leader, do you have any links to true statistics or JD Powers reports that back up your claim about frequent problems on the late model BMW K1200S , or do you have anything to back up the 20K price you mentioned? As I said I'm open -minded, show me the numbers?

Or are you a major bullshitter

i did not call you any names

recently an owner took his K bike in to the dealer, its not unusaul for them to attach the computer [propritary software not OBD]. after many iterations to resolve many issues
it automaticaly updates to the latest.problem is it now runs worse!! the owner had no issues before the computer update. bigger problem is its NOT reversible!! you just cant make this stuff up.

you want numbers ???
if you follow the maintenace program
600miles- 1-300 dollars
6000mi- 2-400 $
12000 mi 3-500 $
24k miles 500-900 $
these are routine maintenance/warranty visits when on most occasionsNothing is wrong!!
kinda stiff dont you think.NEVER had a bike or car that cost me that much same miles.
[if only the FREE maintenace plan of the cars]

last but not least i only gave you a "heads up", be aware, check it out post.
i did not rag on anything or anybody. i you had a friend about to buy a used zx14
would you at least mention the frame recall ?? maybe it applies, maybe its been done,
maybe he dont care. would you at least mention it?

there are other issues associated with many bikes. on a web site they tend to be rather intense & frequent. thats a good thing!! id rather be aware & wise rather than bitch & whine.
apparently you would rather enjoy the drama.

doesnt change the fact that that model k has the longest list of issues than any 2 wheel model they have ever offered in so few short years. many old school bmw riders as i do still stick to the twins. they seem to have fewer problems, handle great& get on down the road.

Ignore this member   
SteveWFL

posted October 18, 2008 10:37 AM        
I didn't call you any nnames sir, I just asked if you had facts about your price quote and statements and if so could you share your source, or if you're a bullshitter.

I've hard all the horror stories of BMW's past and have been watching the stats on the '07 and '08 and the software has been great and the probl;ems minimal. My neighbor has a gazzillion miles on an '08 S model, and I've been thinking about an '09. If I see facts that the '08 truly has sucked as a rule I'll look at a C14 or such.

Again, I'm not calling names, thats the typical Internet I'd just like to see some numbers and hard facts regarding failure/repair statistics...thanks
CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
jw

Novice Class
posted October 18, 2008 05:32 PM        Edited By: jw on 19 Oct 2008 01:35
Here's a post from the i-bmw site with some hard facts...

10-16-2008, 01:19 PM
K1300S
Exceeding Highway speeds Join Date: Nov 2007

Re: Guess who's bad mouthing the K-bikes?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys I picked up Novembers issue of ride magazine UK (although its still oct bike mags here always put next months date on )
Anyway to the point Ride have commissioned the worlds biggest and most reliable motorcycle survey based on 173 motorcycles covering the following points.
Build quality,brakes,controls,dealer,engine,gearbox,handling/suspension,headlight,maintenance,mirrors,pillion comfort,reliability,rider comfort,running costs,wind protection,

Here's the results

1st honda fireblade
2nd BMW R1200RT
3rd BMW K1200S which also won sports tourer of the year 2008
9th 08 hayabusa
47th 99-07 hayabusa
50th kwak ZZR 1400

So this survey puts the bullshit spouted by someone bad mouthing the K bikes into some sort of perspective unless they know more than the rest of the world.

Sorry he put the Kaw in there. Personally, if they made a naked 14, I'd probably be riding that than a BMW. The z1000 never appealed to me much.

50th is still well in the top third for that group (173)

Ignore this member   
SteveWFL

posted October 18, 2008 06:23 PM        
thanks JW!
CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted October 19, 2008 10:55 AM        
I love name calling!

Ignore this member    Click here to visit fish_antlers's homepage. 
SteveWFL

posted October 19, 2008 12:38 PM        Edited By: SteveWFL on 19 Oct 2008 20:40
quote:
I love name calling!

only prob is name calling on the Intenetz is too much like NASCAR and off-topic!

CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
SteveWFL

posted October 19, 2008 04:37 PM        
Back on topic, here is a pic gallery compliments of our Bavarian friends in Germany

http://www.7-forum.com/news/2008/intermot/bmw_k_1300_s_galerie.php
CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
flite leader

Zone Head
posted October 21, 2008 11:33 AM        
quote:
Here's a post from the i-bmw site with some hard facts...

10-16-2008, 01:19 PM
K1300S
Exceeding Highway speeds Join Date: Nov 2007

Re: Guess who's bad mouthing the K-bikes?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys I picked up Novembers issue of ride magazine UK (although its still oct bike mags here always put next months date on )
Anyway to the point Ride have commissioned the worlds biggest and most reliable motorcycle survey based on 173 motorcycles covering the following points.
Build quality,brakes,controls,dealer,engine,gearbox,handling/suspension,headlight,maintenance,mirrors,pillion comfort,reliability,rider comfort,running costs,wind protection,

Here's the results

1st honda fireblade
2nd BMW R1200RT
3rd BMW K1200S which also won sports tourer of the year 2008
9th 08 hayabusa
47th 99-07 hayabusa
50th kwak ZZR 1400

So this survey puts the bullshit spouted by someone bad mouthing the K bikes into some sort of perspective unless they know more than the rest of the world.

Sorry he put the Kaw in there. Personally, if they made a naked 14, I'd probably be riding that than a BMW. The z1000 never appealed to me much.

50th is still well in the top third for that group (173)

never bad mouthed anything, simply enumerated issues actual owners were having
with their bikes. if that is not a consideration to be aware of, so be it. i think id like
to know. yet what that does is presents an opportunity for more bitchy & whiny posts
when those issues start to put a drain on ones wallet & patience. real smart

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 3 pages long: 1  2  3     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > BIKE CHAT > Thread: BMW Releases New 1300 K-Series Models NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.25910186767578 seconds processing time