HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > BIKE CHAT > Thread: James Stewart traction control? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted January 20, 2011 02:01 PM        
James Stewart traction control?

very interesting... I went back through my anaheim one photos cuz I had a press pass / photovest and shot the race... I got this in the paddock after practice but before qualifying ... if you look close you CAN see a wheel sensor, but it's on the #30 Kyle Regal bike, not the #7 machine. You can clearly see the wire running under the brake line...

#30 bike...

#7 bike...

I'll got through my other photos at the podium to see if the setup changed for the #7 bike at all.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit fish_antlers's homepage. 
Hellmutt

Needs a job
posted January 20, 2011 08:29 PM        
They're definitely screwing around within the rules "gray area"
Like I'd said before, didn't look like it helped Stewart much since he didn't really blow everyone away like he used to -- but then again, his team may have talked him into playing it safe as not to draw attention to himself or the bike??
Be interesting to see what happens this weekend -- I'll be watching closely

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Hellmutt's homepage. 
SteddyTeddy

Pro
posted January 21, 2011 12:26 AM        
You sure its for traction control? May just be for data logging wheel speed.
  Ignore this member   
Hellmutt

Needs a job
posted January 21, 2011 01:13 AM        
That's the "gray area" I was speaking of..........nobody's really sure what it's for other than the Team..........either way, why data log wheel speed unless it's for traction control of some sort?

Shane661

Needs a life
posted January 21, 2011 03:07 AM        Edited By: Shane661 on 21 Jan 2011 19:07
There are a number of other reasons to log wheelspeed. Wheels pin/speed can be a factor in tire selection, chassis setup, gearing, etc...
  Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted January 21, 2011 04:36 AM        
In the interview in the video he dies appear to acknowledge traction control

Ignore this member    Click here to visit fish_antlers's homepage. 
Shane661

Needs a life
posted January 21, 2011 04:43 AM        Edited By: Shane661 on 21 Jan 2011 20:44
Hard to say...I mean they could hide a sensor system, easily, if they wanted to. The commentators act like they have never heard of data logging.

Remember, part of racing is a psychological game....keeping the competition guessing, wasting time chasing ghosts.

Ignore this member   
Hellmutt

Needs a job
posted January 21, 2011 07:50 AM        
quote:
There are a number of other reasons to log wheelspeed. Wheels pin/speed can be a factor in tire selection, chassis setup, gearing, etc...

I could understand a use for them in some applications other than dirt, but there's not really anything can be done ( that i can think of ) to inhibit wheelspin on a loose surface - tire and chassis setup can help, but it's the way the rider manipulates the bike, transfers his weight, and use of clutch/throttle/braking that makes all the difference in ANY type of motocross.
These are all "fairly" basic ( by todays standards anyway ) manual trans'd machines with limited capabilities that are built to be used on an ever-varying surface - what could they possibly expect? I'm really curious to see what they find out - if they even pursue a reasoning.......up to the AMA

Shane661

Needs a life
posted January 21, 2011 09:11 AM        
Nothing can be done to improve traction in the dirt? How do you think plastic tires would perform?
  Ignore this member   
Hellmutt

Needs a job
posted January 21, 2011 10:44 AM        
C'mon man, you know what I mean right? Even on a KX80 you cant help roosting your buddies bangin' out of a berm - I'm sayin' that in my opinion, you won't stop wheelspin in dirt racing - at most, tire choice and susp/chassis help some but it comes down to rider control over the spin, not a computer - hell, flat track racing is based primarily on wheelspin, like drifting - but u cant get a computer to understand the need for it right? Or am i missing some sort of new development here?

Shane661

Needs a life
posted January 21, 2011 08:48 PM        
So, now let's look at this...how exactly are you going to use traction control when you are roosting?? Wheelspin is an integral part of the sport, and rider technique....right?

It's racing, and the more data you can log, the better, Why do you think they spend so much time on chassis setup? What do you think rear wheel speed does when the suspension is set up improperly?

I don't know what the wheel speed sensor is there for, but I'm not going to assume they are cheating simply because I don't know the answer. I know that wheel speed is commonly logged in many different motorsports.

Ignore this member   
Hellmutt

Needs a job
posted January 22, 2011 09:33 AM        
There's no cheating going on ( yet ) as AMA obviously hasn't ruled against data logging, if in fact that's what they're doing - in all probability thats all it could be, to my knowledge abs and traction control doesn't exist in 2-wheeled dirt racing of any kind - And if you think about it, ( if legalized ) a plastic compound in the tires rubber ( not plastic tires, thats absurd ) would likely improve longevity in traction since it would theoretically last longer in most soil types, other than mud that is.......but luckily these fux get new tires every heat/main

extremelean

Pro
posted January 22, 2011 05:50 PM        
They can actually log the wheel speed for every part of every turn through the entire course for the specific rider to help with the entire set up of the machine and tire selection.
And it is highly possible that traction control is in use or being tested...think about it...to be able to control the power laid down to the dirt and prevent over rev per each and every individual corner and woop section on the track and then flip a switch as track conditions change during the race and have all manual control returned to you...allthis could give a rider that small edge towards the end of the race when they need to exert that xtra energy to win or take that next finish position...less energy exerted in the begining and middle of the race.
Dont think that this technology hasnt already been tested 5 or 6 years ago...i didnt tell you that.

Ignore this member   
Hellmutt

Needs a job
posted January 22, 2011 10:33 PM        
Well I am clueless as to how traction control would benefit skimming a whoop section since these guys are upshifting at least twice to get through them at a faster rate - so more wheelspin is key to getting thru the whoops faster, how is that to be contolled by a computer that modulates power applied to the rear wheel? Guess I just can't get my head around the fact as to how they can improve traction on surfaces that refuse to allow tires consistent traction?

Hellmutt

Needs a job
posted January 23, 2011 09:08 PM        Edited By: Hellmutt on 24 Jan 2011 14:21
According to Speed channel last night, Stewart is using a new data log sensor setup that will possibly come into play once traction control devices become legal, if they're legalized at all.........but for now, the device is simply to help the team improve their holeshot percentages thru data acquisition to enable them further study on the best settings on a track by track basis.
So, there's nothing they can do with "traction control" at the present, but this does help in other area's to get him out front faster so he can do what he does best

All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > BIKE CHAT > Thread: James Stewart traction control? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2015 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.50190711021423 seconds processing time