HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Alarm Systems NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
vmaxwayne

Expert Class
posted May 23, 2006 08:02 AM        
Alarm Systems

Has anybody installed an alarm system on the ZX14 yet??

Scorpio sounds like a good system(sri-500 c/w the options), has the plug-and-play for the ZX14, but pricey at $400.

Lots of bells and whistles but not sure if necessary.

Ignore this member   
FasterThanStink

Pro
posted May 23, 2006 08:51 AM        
I am going to put a Scorpio Alarm on in the next week or so. The ZX-14 harness plug is available if you call them.
Worth every penny to protect a $11,500 bike. I'm betting the 14's are prime targets for the bad guys. Lots of publicity and limited availability + street cred = high theft target potential.

See this thread:

http://www.bikeland.org/board/viewthread.php?FID=27&TID=23776&set_time=

Ignore this member    Click here to visit FasterThanStink's homepage. 
speedgene

Zone Head
posted May 23, 2006 09:14 AM        
Kawasaki has a "disabler" type unit made exclusively for the 14.
I had a chance to page through a factory 14 shop manual, and came across a large section, chapter'd exclusively for this system.
I'm sure this accessory will be plenty out of pocket... maybe on par with Lojack for bikes?... meaning, price only, not functions.

Ignore this member   
FasterThanStink

Pro
posted May 23, 2006 11:30 AM        
quote:
Kawasaki has a "disabler" type unit made exclusively for the 14.
I had a chance to page through a factory 14 shop manual, and came across a large section, chapter'd exclusively for this system.
I'm sure this accessory will be plenty out of pocket... maybe on par with Lojack for bikes?... meaning, price only, not functions.

It is stock on the bikes sold outside of N/A. I don't think that is avalable as an accessory.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit FasterThanStink's homepage. 
zerMATT

Pro
posted May 24, 2006 07:37 AM        
Wasn't FBA working on some sort of alarm system for the 14?

Ignore this member   
fastestbusaaround

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted May 24, 2006 08:21 AM        
We are, and we will have them available in 2-3 weeks...it's going to be a killer too...I'll have PDF brochures for download late next week for all you guys to peruse...it is 2-way paging like the Scorpio 500, a bit less range, but completly handsfree, no buttons on the remote. It uses transponder technology (like the system Kaw uses outside of N/A) but only consumes 250 Microamps in armed state (less than 1/4 of a miliamp). It has computer guided tilt sensing (no mercury switch)...and always uses the current position as the new reference while arming. To disarm, just turn the key and you get a chrip within 2 seconds letting you know you are ready to ride! The remote/pager has a belt clip and a lanyard to hang it around your neck...it's very unique and it's something that has never been seen before in any market. It's also 2" * 2" small and all self contained inside it's 100% waterproof siren. We use automotive grade waterproof connectors for the wiring harness. It also has battery backup built in to it and weighs only a few ounces. When we put them out, we will offer a 3-year warranty which is an over the counter exchange and it will be way way less than the Scorpio. More news to follow soon...

Ignore this member    Click here to visit FastestBusaAround's homepage. 
TeamSpeed

Expert Class
posted May 24, 2006 09:06 AM        
quote:
More news to follow soon...

Count me in, sounds very cool and compact, which is required on this bike. There actually is a ton of space in the nose of the 14, I noticed that when I was looking at the tilt sensor. Great place for an alarm system, XM antenna, etc.

Ignore this member   
fastestbusaaround

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted May 24, 2006 09:07 AM        
I'll be puttin one on mine in a week and will post pics!

zerMATT

Pro
posted May 24, 2006 09:48 AM        
fba - will it be plug-n-play with the factory harness, or is splicing involved?

Ignore this member   
fastestbusaaround

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted May 24, 2006 11:11 AM        
Matt...not plug and play unfortunately, for now...splice in but with a GM style underhood connector to the unit and before I ship anything, I'll supply you all with install pictures and wiring shots...it's something we may look at in the future, Scorpio is the only one doing this...all others don't and here's why:

There's a huge cost of inventory on something like that, because you end up with a gazillion different harnesses and then dead stock when they don't move, hence the high price tag. We've done this in the automotive industry for remote starters before and had to kill the program due to these issues...but the install will be fast in simple any case...I have them in the 10R and the R1 in the rear cowl right under the panel between the drivers and passenger's seat. When I bring a product out to market, I have to believe that it is the best product available or I won't touch it. Thats why we're offering a 3-year warranty... no questions asked. I'll try and post some pics of the unit (prototype) later today in this thread.

fastestbusaaround

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted May 24, 2006 11:33 AM        Edited By: fastestbusaaround on 24 May 2006 12:47
Here are some prototype pics of the new bike Alarm, bear in mind that these are prototype hand made SLA cases...so they are not production units. The production units will obviously be very perfect...

Here's the alarm, measuring 2" * 2" (excluding the connector)

Here's the front view (siren)

Here's the transponder (remote/pager)

Here's the transponder on the lanyard (remote/pager)

This is the waterproof connector

I will NEVER sell one of these to any of you, if I have any doubts that it will work and work WELL! Also, if you get it and aren't happy for ANY reason, I'll refund you 100% within a year of the purchase. Price will be ready some time next week...but way, way less than a Scorpio! I'll post the brochure next week when it's done....

Stalwart

Needs a job
posted May 24, 2006 11:41 AM        
NICE FBA! I'll certainly order one as soon as you say they're ready, thanks for all your efforts!

Ridin' the Trump train.

Ignore this member   
fastestbusaaround

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted May 24, 2006 11:48 AM        
Thanks Stalwart! We're trying...and thanks everyone for your support too!

zerMATT

Pro
posted May 24, 2006 12:01 PM        
Sounds like a good deal, keep us informed.

Where do you plan on mounting this? Will there be room under the seat for it? Will all of the splicing be done under the seat, or will more wires have to be run up front to headlight cowl?

Ignore this member   
gtracing

Expert Class
posted May 24, 2006 12:27 PM        
Waiting is going to be a pain in the a$$. I have almost ordered the scorpio 3x now, but price keeps pushing me away!! I have too many sleepless nights in my new appt. The window to my bedroom is right where the bike is parked, and I blockade it with my g/f's car at night, but I want the alarm to keep anyone from even touching it!
Keep me on the top of your list, I'd much rather order an exhaust right now than a $350 alarm!

Ignore this member   
zerMATT

Pro
posted May 24, 2006 12:37 PM        
Am I reading the Scorpio pricing correctly? They want $299 for the i500, *plus* $20 for the harness kit, $35 for the permiter sensor, $29 for ignition disable, and $33 for battery backup? So it's really $416???

Any idea where your price will fit in there fba?

Ignore this member   
gtracing

Expert Class
posted May 24, 2006 12:43 PM        
u can get the scorpio from kneedraggers for around $350 including the harness/shipping for the best model, but they suppos. cannot get the zx14 harness... I was going to order from them, but they informed me that I will have to buy the harness from scorpio direct!

Ignore this member   
fastestbusaaround

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted May 24, 2006 12:55 PM        
We will be around $250.00

zerMATT

Pro
posted May 24, 2006 12:57 PM        
Ok, now for the most important question: What does the siren sound like? Is it bad-ass, or some wimpy thing that sounds like a cartoon police car?

Ignore this member   
fastestbusaaround

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted May 24, 2006 01:00 PM        
Matt, we will probably try for an under seat if we can, hidden, but without having checked the harnesses there, we won't know until we go in. It can ALL be done for sure under the front cowl, the primary power/ starter and light wires are there, but as I mentioned, pics of the install in step by step will be supplied to all of you guys before we so anything!

fastestbusaaround

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted May 24, 2006 01:06 PM        
quote:
Ok, now for the most important question: What does the siren sound like? Is it bad-ass, or some wimpy thing that sounds like a cartoon police car?

Siren is FUCKING loud and very different from what you are used to, but damn...it hurts your ears...it will run in your hand without being connected to the bike too...that's the battery backup. You can't stand ih the same room when it trips...that's how loud it is. What was that you said? I can't hear you...too much testing of the damn siren....

zerMATT

Pro
posted May 24, 2006 01:32 PM        

About how long will the unit run, and how long will the siren run without power?

Ignore this member   
fastestbusaaround

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted May 24, 2006 01:51 PM        
On pure battery backup only, it will run for about 2 years with no transponder recognition. If the siren runs continously, meaning someone has cut battery power or ground to the unit, or the bike, it will run for a 25 minutes and continue to page you...

So it works like this:

When the unit is armed, and you cut power or ground to the bike or the unit, the unit trips and the siren goes off for that 25 minute period. If the unit is in service/valet mode and you cut power/ground to the bike or unit, it will stay quite and the batteries will hold a charge for 2 years. At no time when the unit is armed or tripped, can you start the bike under power. We don't cut ignition or fuel pump, just starter only, anything else is very dangerous to the rider.

scificanada

Expert Class
posted May 25, 2006 05:17 AM        Edited By: scificanada on 25 May 2006 06:17
I want one, I want one, I want one.... No maybe a few
I will keep watching this thread and will order as soon as you are ready to go.
Thanks for the info.
I have researched a bunch of devices and yours seems to offer all I want without things I dont want or need ie Power shut down by false trip leaned over in a corner.

2006 Blue(the fastest colour) ZX14, Brock Ti Gen 3, Secondary Butterflies out, PCIII with Brock Map, Muzzy Frame Sliders.

Ignore this member   
tiger8u

Parking Attendant
posted June 14, 2006 01:27 AM        
I am interested in one of the hundred alarms you have for field testing. Please let me know What I have to do?

Sincerely

Jamesnovey@hawaii.rr.com

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 2 pages long: 1  2     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Alarm Systems NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.22088193893433 seconds processing time