HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Christmas early NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Stalwart

Needs a job
posted October 17, 2006 05:28 AM        Edited By: Stalwart on 17 Oct 2006 13:29
Christmas early

Thanks to Navigator, I broke down and ordered what so many of you have so highly recommended, Brock's Gen3 (in ceramic black/CF), PowerComander, with the flies out map installed. The guy at Brock's told me 2-3 weeks for them to get it coated and shipped . . . they lied, it took less than 2 weeks even WITH shipping to the Left Coast.

I'm a happy boy! Now if the kids will give me a break for a few hours I'll put it on the lift, do the install and yank the flies. With temperatures on the 60's this weekend, I should have a good time.

Thanks to all, for the info you guys have provided!

PS Hey Dub, how do you like the lift?

Ridin' the Trump train.

Ignore this member   
dubious

Needs a life
Needs more time to ride!
posted October 17, 2006 05:56 AM        
should be here tomorrow :P
customs inspected it, broker tooom a couple days, and everytime they find reason to keep it it costs me $$.
Shipping has risen from 250 tom $400
everyone is gettin a piece. assholes they are.
any way still decent deal.

Ignore this member   
Stalwart

Needs a job
posted October 17, 2006 06:04 AM        
Get that beer cold, the big crate mine came in was heavy, but once broken down, I was able to assemble it myself. My 14 is on the lift now but I gotta go pick up the little terrorists from school . . . no play time for me today.

Ridin' the Trump train.

Ignore this member   
fastestbusaaround

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted October 17, 2006 06:49 AM        
Stalwart, I did the sprocket change yesterday...you might have to do the same thing...it's a very sick bike now ....go read my theard on it. if you haven't already. About time you did the flies, pipes and PC3...you wont believe the difference just with the flies alone...welcome to the ZX14 performance club dude!!:P

Ignore this member    Click here to visit FastestBusaAround's homepage. 
countersteer

Needs a job
Didn't read the owners manual
posted October 17, 2006 06:50 AM        Edited By: countersteer on 17 Oct 2006 14:52
fba you did front or rear sprocket? i ordered a 16T from schnitz yesterday... i guess it helps out a bit, huh?

doobie: i was going to order the same lift from the same company, they quoted me about 250 freight... now it costs more???????

stal: take some pics when youre done

Ignore this member    Click here to visit countersteer's homepage. 
fastestbusaaround

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted October 17, 2006 06:54 AM        
Did both 16/43...it's insane. Roll on wheelies now! Got them from ZX1KR, annodized black rear...cool looking! Helps out a bit...uhhh YUP! HUGE gains...can't keep it down now.

shawnski

Pro
posted October 17, 2006 06:57 AM        Edited By: shawnski on 17 Oct 2006 14:59
i ordred 16/42 instead of 16/43 from zx1k1 should get it next week, can't wait till try it. i thought 16/42 should be good enough with no flies and muzzy exhuast and pc3 and me weighing about 175 pounds. i guess i will find out soon. what can i say guys 49 years old 5'11" pretty good shape for old man hah...:P

Ignore this member   
fastestbusaaround

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted October 17, 2006 07:00 AM        
Probably not much difference between 43 and 42...and you weigh 35 lbs less than me anyway. You'll be quite happy!

shawnski

Pro
posted October 17, 2006 07:16 AM        
FBA, do you get tire spin too with the change?

Ignore this member   
fastestbusaaround

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted October 17, 2006 07:42 AM        
Haven't had enough time to check yet....but under normal conditions don't think I'll see much, although some others here do...

Stalwart

Needs a job
posted October 17, 2006 09:18 AM        
quote:
Stalwart, I did the sprocket change yesterday . . .

I'm pretty happy with the acceleration as is, but the low end grunt is always a nice thing to have, hence the "fly" removal. I don't feel the need for more wheelies, I got them out of my system 20 years ago. The occasional one is fine but I don't like tank slappers and I've nearly had one of those already, it was all my 225 lb. could do to stop that one.

Ridin' the Trump train.

Ignore this member   
CrotchRocket

Bracket Racing with Betsy
posted October 17, 2006 09:32 AM        
quote:
Thanks to Navigator, I broke down and ordered what so many of you have so highly recommended, Brock's Gen3 (in ceramic black/CF), PowerComander, with the flies out map installed. The guy at Brock's told me 2-3 weeks for them to get it coated and shipped . . . they lied, it took less than 2 weeks even WITH shipping to the Left Coast.

I'm a happy boy! Now if the kids will give me a break for a few hours I'll put it on the lift, do the install and yank the flies. With temperatures on the 60's this weekend, I should have a good time.

PS Hey Dub, how do you like the lift?

*****DragRacers do it better, because they dont cut Corners*****

Ignore this member    Click here to visit CrotchRocket's homepage. 
zx14_1965

Zone Head
posted October 17, 2006 10:19 AM        
quote:

That's great!....post your dyno numbers
181RWHP 108ftlbs torque after custom map today. Full stock numbers were 159 at 97ftlbs torque.
BTW - you don't yank the flies out...you gently unscrew the screws and grab the butterflies with long nose pliers....highly recommend spraying some SeaFoam on the dem screws and let 'em soak for about 10 minutes to break loose the threadlock. Don't worry, the SeaFoam is totally combustible and won't hurt a thing. Catch all the loose thread lock with some duct tape.
Good on ya for not changing the sprockets...no need for it with the power you're gonna get..
Friendly post here, so don't be a "FBA" with your response.

Ignore this member   
fastestbusaaround

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted October 17, 2006 10:26 AM        Edited By: fastestbusaaround on 17 Oct 2006 18:43

zx14_1965

Zone Head
posted October 17, 2006 10:33 AM        
quote:
...guess ZX_1965 doesnt know how to hold a screwdriver yet...SeaFoam...

"Squid"

Ignore this member   
Stalwart

Needs a job
posted October 17, 2006 12:49 PM        Edited By: Stalwart on 17 Oct 2006 20:49
quote:
That's great!....post your dyno numbers
181RWHP 108ftlbs torque after custom map today. Full stock numbers were 159 at 97ftlbs torque.
BTW - you don't yank the flies out...you gently unscrew the screws and grab the butterflies with long nose pliers....highly recommend spraying some SeaFoam on the dem screws and let 'em soak for about 10 minutes to break loose the threadlock. Don't worry, the SeaFoam is totally combustible and won't hurt a thing. Catch all the loose thread lock with some duct tape.
Good on ya for not changing the sprockets...no need for it with the power you're gonna get..
Friendly post here, . . .

OK, I'll be friendly.

No need, at this point, for a dyno run, Brock did that and unless my bike isn't running up to my expectations, I'll leave it alone. Why would I want to spend my time, money and my back tire, if Brock has already done the work. If I wanted to impress with dyno numbers I'd have kept my old 1392 cc 6 cylinder Kawasaki turbo and added EFI and run that at 27+lb. of boost. SWFT can do that now, as it's in his garage.

I think I can handle the secondary throttle plate removal, I'm a licensed aircraft mechanic and have built several turbocharged and supercharged marine racing engines. The 14 is nothing more than a fun toy to me . . . VERY fun toy!

Since you want to see a dyno run so much how about this, my wife's trike without the NOS:

Ridin' the Trump train.

Ignore this member   
fastestbusaaround

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted October 17, 2006 01:11 PM        
Fuck...those are serious numbers

Stalwart

Needs a job
posted October 17, 2006 03:19 PM        
That's rear wheels, SAE, with tires smokin'. Not enough weight on the rollers. With NOS it has been claimed at a 7.07 @ 202 MPH in the 1/4 mile but I will NEVER try to see if it's true. It's a fun trike to ride!

Here is the builder's next trike:

Ridin' the Trump train.

Ignore this member   
CrotchRocket

Bracket Racing with Betsy
posted October 17, 2006 04:44 PM        
Stalwart...I dont want a pic of a dyno chart

I want to see a pic of the black ceramic coated pipe

*****DragRacers do it better, because they dont cut Corners*****

Ignore this member    Click here to visit CrotchRocket's homepage. 
BlackMagic14

Needs a job
posted October 17, 2006 05:05 PM        
According to Brock you will get better times going down one tooth on the rear sprocket he says it greatly helps the launch... while you are doing power wheelies I will be talking to good lookin women at the finish line... my Dad always Siad"Women always wait at the finish line so your bike may look better but I will beat you to the women"
  Ignore this member   
Stalwart

Needs a job
posted October 17, 2006 11:10 PM        
CR, I'll take pictures when I put it on tomorrow. I have to go on a field trip today with a bunch of 3rd graders . . . dee, dee, dee

Ridin' the Trump train.

Ignore this member   
zx14_1965

Zone Head
posted October 17, 2006 11:34 PM        
quote:

No need, at this point, for a dyno run, Brock did that and unless my bike isn't running up to my expectations, I'll leave it alone. Why would I want to spend my time, money and my back tire, if Brock has already done the work. If I wanted to impress with dyno numbers I'd have kept my old 1392 cc 6 cylinder Kawasaki turbo and added EFI and run that at 27+lb. of boost. SWFT can do that now, as it's in his garage.
I think I can handle the secondary throttle plate removal, I'm a licensed aircraft mechanic and have built several turbocharged and supercharged marine racing engines. The 14 is nothing more than a fun toy to me . . . VERY fun toy!
Since you want to see a dyno run so much how about this, my wife's trike without the NOS:

Your wife rides that beast?...brave woman.

As for preloaded maps...a custom map is the best map. I installed my PCIII with a preloaded map and it ran pretty decent. Took it in yesterday for a custom map and picked up another 7hp. What a noticeable difference throughout the revs. Custom mapping plus multiple dyno pulls cost me $200...that's a pretty good investment for picking up an additional 6hp.

Ignore this member   
navigator

Expert Class
posted October 17, 2006 11:43 PM        
quote:
As for preloaded maps...a custom map is the best map. I installed my PCIII with a preloaded map and it ran pretty decent. Took it in yesterday for a custom map and picked up another 7hp. What a noticeable difference throughout the revs. Custom mapping plus multiple dyno pulls cost me $200...that's a pretty good investment for picking up an additional 6hp.

Custom maps are ok but dyno pulls don't factor in the added ram air effect you get going down the road or the track. Brock maps his on the track. My butt dyno and the bikes that fall behind me say Brocks maps are just fine. I also save a few bucks to spend on other things that are more meaningful to me than a piece of paper that confirms what I already know.

Ignore this member   
fastestbusaaround

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted October 17, 2006 11:48 PM        
quote:
According to Brock you will get better times going down one tooth on the rear sprocket he says it greatly helps the launch... while you are doing power wheelies I will be talking to good lookin women at the finish line... my Dad always Siad"Women always wait at the finish line so your bike may look better but I will beat you to the women"

You mean the Track Ho's?

zx14_1965

Zone Head
posted October 18, 2006 12:28 AM        
quote:

Custom maps are ok but dyno pulls don't factor in the added ram air effect you get going down the road or the track. Brock maps his on the track. My butt dyno and the bikes that fall behind me say Brocks maps are just fine. I also save a few bucks to spend on other things that are more meaningful to me than a piece of paper that confirms what I already know.

Won't argue there, datalogger tuning is by far the best. However, keep in mind, his maps are specific to that bike under that specific environmental condition ie; ambient air temperature, barometric pressure and also the bike's uniqueness factor. No 14s will ever be a mirror image of another. It'll be close, close enough or neither. But if you're happy with it then that's all that matters. The end result of a custom map is not just the piece of paper, but the fact that your bike is tuned specifically to it's own unique parameters.
Matter of fact, the preloaded map I used had the ram air effect factored in and it was rich everywhere. By custom mapping, I picked up 6 more ponies and it runs like a real champ now. I know I'm happy....wouldn't with 6hp more.

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 2 pages long: 1  2     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Christmas early NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2015 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.43609189987183 seconds processing time