HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Lockup clutch for ZX14, why do I need one? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
iflyphi

Zone Head
posted October 19, 2006 12:36 PM        
Lockup clutch for ZX14, why do I need one?

I see that MTC finally has two lockup clutches available for the ZX14. They have a 2-stage, and a mult-stage. My question is, what is this going to do for me as far as times and ease of launch?
I know next to nothing about lockup clutches, so if somebody can educate me, I'd appreciate it.
I was looking at getting the multi-stage. I don't want to have to spend days at the track trying to set the thing up. Will this type of clutch, be easier on the stock clutch, and therefore make it last longer??
Will I be able to launch the bike harder, by dialing in some clutch slip, say below 7000 rpm, then progressively lock up??

Ignore this member   
flatoutbu

Pro
posted October 19, 2006 01:01 PM        
Do you still ride on the street? If so you dont want a multi stage. A correct set-up multi stage is the shit...you can launch at a set rpm and dump the clutch and if your set up right it will act like a slipper. With a 2 stage lock-up you will launch the same unless you come out wide open. The lock-up will start applying pressure to the clutch the faster you spin it....the more weight you hang on it the harder/faster it will engage....but you will not be able to pull the clutch back in until you let off the gas and the rpm's drop alittle....ie: lock-up. This coming summer i'll be playing with mine..maybe we can trade info on what works and what doesn't. This will help clutch wear some, but you will still have the launch to deal with.
Shaun

Ignore this member   
iflyphi

Zone Head
posted October 19, 2006 01:16 PM        
Thanks, I dont plan to ride it on the street. I plan to get the multi-stage, but have no clue on how to set it up, or what exactly it will do for me.
Now, I launch at about 6000 rpm, pretty much peg the throttle at about 60-100 feet, and the clutch is full out by then too. How will the multi-stage change this??

Ignore this member   
zxboy

Expert Class
posted October 19, 2006 02:49 PM        
flatoutbu... I disagee with you on the way the lock up engages.... It's a function of rear wheel speed not rpm that locks it up. Its a slider that works off of RPM....
ifly.... mutistages can be a real pain to set up. but it's really what you want if your running a bike without wheelie bars. The clutch springs (called static springs in a lockup) control the first 10 to 20 feet of your run depending on gearing. The harder you throw the clutch lever away, the softer you want those springs.....then there is a second set of springs (overide springs) on the arms that will delay the lock up even further down track. This is the beauty of the muti stage as you can put different pressure overide springs in and get the bike to lockup smoothly down track and not wheelie.. but it's also the downfall as you can get lost real fast in your set up. If you get one run it as it comes out of the box and do just one change at a time... it gets real time consuming.
P.S. you can drive any type of lock up on the street... you can't pull the lever in at high speed. So if your going to be "punching it" on the street you'll need some kind of air shifter.

Ignore this member   
scificanada

Expert Class
posted October 19, 2006 05:59 PM        
Awesome info, now i know... thanks

2006 Blue(the fastest colour) ZX14, Brock Ti Gen 3, Secondary Butterflies out, PCIII with Brock Map, Muzzy Frame Sliders.

Ignore this member   
flatoutbu

Pro
posted October 20, 2006 10:22 AM        
Where the lock-up-locks up depends on how much weight you have on there. I'm not saying at a certain rpm it kicks in..as you increase rpm/tire speed goes up and the clutch applies more pressure. Not hard to figure out just time consuming to get it set up to your riding preferance. I dont know about you but when i ride on the street my bike see's alot of 10-11 grand....I dont want to hassle with a multi stage.

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Lockup clutch for ZX14, why do I need one? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.20523190498352 seconds processing time