HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: "Quiet" performance exhaust NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Phytrax

Zone Head
posted October 27, 2006 08:20 AM        
"Quiet" performance exhaust

I'd like to change out my stock exhaust for the weight savings and the extra hp, but I kinda like the bike being quiet. I can handle a little extra noise but I've heard some, such as Yoshimura on liter bikes that were just too noisy for me. I'd also like to keep the dual pipes since they look good with my Corbin bags. I like the stainless look too, but I could live with carbon or titanium I guess.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Muzzys slip on's. Are all of the slip on systems for the ZX-14 dual pipe setups or would I have to buy 2?

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Phytrax's homepage. 
k bryant

Needs a job
Sponsor
posted October 27, 2006 08:58 AM        
http://www.areapnolimits.com/exhaust/zx14.html
The 18" mufflers with 2"exit tips, 2.0" cores, packed with Silent Sport Premium from Germany are very quiet. You'll shed about 15 pounds and the mufflers run significantly cooler. Special prices currently available.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit K Bryant's homepage. 
lucky14

Pro
posted October 27, 2006 09:53 AM        
quote:
http://www.areapnolimits.com/exhaust/zx14.html
The 18" mufflers with 2"exit tips, 2.0" cores, packed with Silent Sport Premium from Germany are very quiet. You'll shed about 15 pounds and the mufflers run significantly cooler. Special prices currently available.

I did a lot of research before going with the Area P exhaust. and I'm happy with my choice.
I know that a lot of people are going with the CF, but I like the looks of the dual polished SS on the 14.
K talked me into going with the larger cores, which have a deep throaty sound, but are not obnoxiously loud like some exhausts (no offense to the meg guys!).
They were shipped when promised and I am COMPLETELY satisfied with the fit (installation is a snap), finish, and sound!
And.....................................I got the BL discount, since Area P is a sponser.

Ignore this member   
Phytrax

Zone Head
posted October 27, 2006 11:23 AM        
Looks like some nice looking exhaust for a good price. How is the performance compared to Muzzy's and Brocks, though?

Also, anyone have a dB rating on the Muzzy slip on's and the megs?

Bently

Needs a life
2012 14r In Blue and no Mods!
posted October 27, 2006 12:14 PM        
The muzzy slip-ons i have heard on the 14 are almost as loud as my Smeg. Your definately not going to get the hp with slip-ons no matter who makes them as a Muzzy or Brock full system.
  Ignore this member   
stevewfl

posted October 27, 2006 12:16 PM        
My Brock's Carbon Gen 3 is very quiet, deep and purrs like a kitten!
CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
Stalwart

Needs a job
posted October 27, 2006 01:30 PM        
+1 I was expecting a LOT more noise out of the Gen 3 and I'm pleasantly surprised.

Ridin' the Trump train.

Ignore this member   
Wheelie

Needs a life
Old Man
posted October 27, 2006 01:42 PM        
Look at the ti-force? wee
  Ignore this member   
Stalwart

Needs a job
posted October 27, 2006 02:51 PM        
I was thinking about the Corbin bags and the TiForce slipons would look awesome with them.

Ridin' the Trump train.

Ignore this member   
Phytrax

Zone Head
posted October 27, 2006 03:43 PM        
What's the big difference with slip on's and a full system? Bigger diameter headers? Brocks gen3 sounds like a good solution but is it possible to run dual cans with a gen3?

RIP+ZX-14- Brock's Gen3, Heli Risers, Corbin Bags, Corbin Seat and Oval Backrest (Burgandy Snakeskin and black alligator), Muzzys Frame Sliders, flies out, 18t front sprocket, PC3, Puig Double Bubble, Pirelli Diablo Strada's
KX450F - kickstand
>>> MySpace --CLICK-- <<<

DominicL

Parking Attendant
posted October 27, 2006 04:22 PM        
I'm gonna be the odd one out here, but...

If you like it quiet, don't change from stock.

I kept mine stock for exactly that reason. Also, the stock system creates far more back pressure than aftermarket exhausts, which is bad for top end power, but great for lower end torque, providing you have the 'flies' out of course.

I use my ZX14 for fast touring, and couldn't be happier with the stock pipes.

Ignore this member   
Stalwart

Needs a job
posted October 27, 2006 04:23 PM        
quote:
What's the big difference with slip on's and a full system? Bigger diameter headers?

Weight and performance are the biggest benefits. I didn't measure the primary tubes so I'm not sure on the primary diamater.

quote:
Brocks gen3 sounds like a good solution but is it possible to run dual cans with a gen3?

Nope, but you could run the Muzzy slip-ons in CF. I'd go for the TiForce myself, especially since you don't mind spending a bit of money on your bike (your $1600.00 Corbin bag purchase).

Ridin' the Trump train.

Ignore this member   
blitzkrieg

Needs a job
Road kill = Free lunch.
posted October 27, 2006 05:13 PM        
I find it somewhat curious that anybody would "choose" to stay with the factory twin exhaust setup.

Kawasaki did duals on the 14 so they could meet EPA noise restrictions and not have a can even bigger than the pumpkin launcher the 12 had.

The stock exhaust on the 12 was a porker but the stock exhaust on the 14 is just flat obese.

If I bought a 14 tomorrow, the first thing to go would be the factory exhaust.

Ignore this member   
Wheelie

Needs a life
Old Man
posted October 27, 2006 05:21 PM        
quote:
What's the big difference with slip on's and a full system? Bigger diameter headers? Brocks gen3 sounds like a good solution but is it possible to run dual cans with a gen3?

I went from 112mph in the 1/8th mile to 118mph. wee

Ignore this member   
philhnnss

Parking Attendant
posted October 27, 2006 06:41 PM        
I went with the Area P 18" carbon fiber cans with the 2 inch core. I could not be happier. Sound level is just a bit more than stock but it is a very deep tone. If I lost any bottom end it is such a small amount I don't miss it. I have not completely maxed it out since I installed them. But the motor seems to rev much quicker, so I would guess it has improved top end power to match. Thermal coating the stock header and adding these cans stopped all heat complaints from myself and passengers, lol!
  Ignore this member   
Phytrax

Zone Head
posted October 28, 2006 02:54 AM        Edited By: Phytrax on 28 Oct 2006 04:11
Wheelie, you picked up 6mph going from slip-on's to full or going from stock to full?

I don't have a passenger heat problem with the Corbin bags. They were expensive but I considered them to be a necessity. Its great being able to run errands on the big 14 instead of my F150. The heat on my legs is a little annoying but not really a problem with my riding pants on.

I got the Heli risers too. 3/4" makes a big difference. Think my next purchase will be the corbin seat. Butt burn gets me after an hour or so and the ball-and-chail really wants a backrest.

Sounds like weight difference is the primary difference between slip ons and a full gen3. Anyone know the weight difference between CF slip-on's and CF Gen3?
The TiForce would look nice but I don't see anything listed for the 14 on their site.
RIP+ZX-14- Brock's Gen3, Heli Risers, Corbin Bags, Corbin Seat and Oval Backrest (Burgandy Snakeskin and black alligator), Muzzys Frame Sliders, flies out, 18t front sprocket, PC3, Puig Double Bubble, Pirelli Diablo Strada's
KX450F - kickstand

Bently

Needs a life
posted October 28, 2006 05:16 AM        
Weight is a big difference, but there will be a hell of a power increase from slip-ons to gen3
  Ignore this member   
swft

Needs a life
Full throttle!
posted October 28, 2006 05:29 AM        
Don't go to the USA site, it hasn't been updated since 2005.

http://www.tiforce.co.jp/2003/models_page/kawasaki/06zx14.html
82 Gpz750, 84 Ninja 900, 2000 ZX12R (Muzzy Big Bore Kit), *another* 2000 ZX12R (Muzzy custom stroke crank 1341cc motor), 2004 ZZR1200, 2005 ZX10R, 2007 ZX14, 2008 Concours 14, 2014 Versys 650, 2014 Yamaha WR450F, 2015 Ninja H2

Ignore this member   
Phytrax

Zone Head
posted October 28, 2006 06:14 AM        
Ok, I kinda thought there would be some power increase compared to slip-on's, but where does the power come from? My understanding of exhaust is that you are mostly trying to lower backpressure, so if the header diameter is not much different, what's causing the power increase compared to slip-on's?
KX450F - kickstand

Bently

Needs a life
posted October 28, 2006 06:38 AM        
The header dia. and design is different.
  Ignore this member   
swft

Needs a life
Full throttle!
posted October 28, 2006 09:36 AM        
And the muffler is much less restrictive.
82 Gpz750, 84 Ninja 900, 2000 ZX12R (Muzzy Big Bore Kit), *another* 2000 ZX12R (Muzzy custom stroke crank 1341cc motor), 2004 ZZR1200, 2005 ZX10R, 2007 ZX14, 2008 Concours 14, 2014 Versys 650, 2014 Yamaha WR450F, 2015 Ninja H2

Ignore this member   
Phytrax

Zone Head
posted October 28, 2006 11:07 AM        
I know the mufflers are much less restrictive than stock but the slip-on's shouldn't be any more restrictive than the full system mufflers.
KX450F - kickstand

Mano 2

Expert Class
posted October 28, 2006 03:29 PM        
If my Gen 3 stays this quiet I'm happy
  Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: \"Quiet\" performance exhaust NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.26800918579102 seconds processing time