HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Has anyone ever installed a temperature gauge on their ZX14? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
nyc zx-14

Expert Class
Manager Star Toyota Bayside,NY
posted August 29, 2008 12:03 PM        
Has anyone ever installed a temperature gauge on their ZX14?

Has anyone ever installed either an analog or digital temperature gauge on their bike? If so, where'd you get it and how difficult is it to do? I'd like to know the exact engine temperature of my bike and not rely on the "idot" gauge of bars that Kawasaki provides now.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit NYC ZX-14's homepage. 
kawabonzai

Zone Head
Leader of the Back.
posted August 29, 2008 04:01 PM        Edited By: kawabonzai on 29 Aug 2008 23:13
How about ..

Daytona Digital Temp - http://www.motosport.com/street/product/DAYTONA-DIGITAL-TEMP-GAUGE/?prodId=839325&sMMY=nofilter&cat0=METRIC

Square Digital - http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=221

Ignore this member    Click here to visit KawaBonzai's homepage. 
nyc zx-14

Expert Class
posted August 31, 2008 12:16 AM        
Thanks kawabonzai.
When installing a gauge, should I be monitoring oil or water temperature? Where do I drill in the sending unit?

obba

Expert Class
posted August 31, 2008 07:37 AM        
A bit cheaper,
Ebay 310079494232

Comes with a splash guard.

As an extra bonus for FREE "This will also help you get more performance out of your engine".

Ignore this member   
kawabonzai

Zone Head
Leader of the Back.
posted August 31, 2008 07:44 AM        Edited By: kawabonzai on 31 Aug 2008 14:45
quote:
Thanks kawabonzai.
When installing a gauge, should I be monitoring oil or water temperature? Where do I drill in the sending unit?

Inline is a possibility ...

http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store/scripts/prodlist.asp?idcategory=42

Ignore the Traxxas temp gauge above, that RC shit wont work. It only measures radiant heat and needs to be wrapped around the heat source.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit KawaBonzai's homepage. 
nyc zx-14

Expert Class
posted August 31, 2008 12:04 PM        
quote:
quote:
Thanks kawabonzai.

Inline is a possibility ...

http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store/scripts/prodlist.asp?idcategory=42

Ignore the Traxxas temp gauge above, that RC shit wont work. It only measures radiant heat and needs to be wrapped around the heat source.

These look GREAT. Thanks! Should they go on the upper or lower hose? Also, does anyone know which size to order?

nyc zx-14

Expert Class
posted September 01, 2008 02:34 PM        
Well, I deceided to tackle the temperature gauge today. I fabricated the "T-Adaptor" from a copper 3/4" plumbing fitting which I soldered the threaded temperature gauge fitting into. I then gold plated the entire part to prevent any future corrosion.
After draining the coolant, I cut a 3/4" section out of the return (upper) radiator hose and using hose clamps, inserted the fitting.
I drilled the gauge into the right side plastic next to the factory gauges.
Install proved uneventful and thankfully.... NO LEAKS!!!! Here are some pics:
Here's the finished product:

Here's a closeup:

Here's the T-Connector (sorry about the poor quality of this pic):

neverknow

Novice Class
posted September 08, 2008 12:23 PM        
Looks great! So what are we actually running when are bars are pegged on the dispaly? Can you provide a "real" temperature for each bar up to "high temp"?

Thank you in advance....

Ignore this member   
nyc zx-14

Expert Class
posted September 08, 2008 01:20 PM        
quote:
Looks great! So what are we actually running when are bars are pegged on the dispaly? Can you provide a "real" temperature for each bar up to "high temp"?

Thank you in advance....

I was thinking on doing EXACTLY that! I'll work on a chart soon. The very top bar comes on at 210 degrees. Will note other temps when I ride tomorrow.

neverknow

Novice Class
posted September 09, 2008 12:45 PM        
Our not are...... sorry to all you English majors.
  Ignore this member   
nyc zx-14

Expert Class
posted September 11, 2008 06:15 AM        
Here are the water temperatures as they relate to the "idiot" bars on Kawasaki's gauge:

1st Bar = 100-140 degrees
2nd Bar = 140-160 degrees
3rd Bar = 160-180 degrees
4th Bar = 180-210 degrees
5th Bar = 210-230 degrees

These are FAIRLY accurate. Notes were made while riding so they may be off a couple of degrees. Temperature probe is mounted inline on the upper radiator hose (return hose) when the water is coming out of the motor and before it enters the radiator..

FasterThanStink

Pro
posted September 11, 2008 08:38 AM        
Thanks! So 5 bars is pretty hot. Good to know as mine spends most of it's time there in town.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit FasterThanStink's homepage. 
smokinzx14

Needs a life
posted September 11, 2008 09:04 AM        
quote:
Thanks! So 5 bars is pretty hot. Good to know as mine spends most of it's time there in town.
Well in today motors 210 to 230 is normal ... Not like the old days of 180 Deg temps .... These motors run at peak hp numbers at or around 210 deg ... Heat is HP ... Believe or not a motor will last longer at 210 deg Vs 180 degs ...

As long as the motor doesn't puke water you have nothing to worry about ..

Ignore this member   
neverknow

Novice Class
posted September 11, 2008 02:30 PM        
quote:
quote:
Well in today motors 210 to 230 is normal ... Not like the old days of 180 Deg temps .... These motors run at peak hp numbers at or around 210 deg ... Heat is HP ... Believe or not a motor will last longer at 210 deg Vs 180 degs ...

Why will the motor last longer at 210 and not 180? Does anyone know the opening thermostat temperature on the 14?

Ignore this member   
neverknow

Novice Class
posted September 11, 2008 09:06 PM        
Does anyone see a benefit to changing cooling to Engine ICE™? Will this negate the warranty?
  Ignore this member   
nczx14

Expert Class
posted September 11, 2008 09:08 PM        
The two fan mod is worth it and you never worry about going over two bars from the top.

Ignore this member   
neverknow

Novice Class
posted September 12, 2008 06:00 AM        
quote:
The two fan mod is worth it and you never worry about going over two bars from the top.
Can you provide a resource for this kit and does the kit enable the fans to operate once the ignition is off? As many have mentioned, there has to be a significant spike in temperature when the bike is shut down due to the fans not operating when the key is off.

Ignore this member   
nczx14

Expert Class
posted September 12, 2008 06:38 AM        Edited By: nczx14 on 12 Sep 2008 13:46
You have to be able to do your own work and know a little bit about wiring. It's quite simple. It runs with the factory fan by the same circuit. I'm using a Derale fan but you can make just about any small electric fan work. Alot of folks are using ZX6 and ZX14 fans as the second fan. If I had wanted to piss my time away bidding on ebay I would've went that route, but in stock and next day shipping is why I went with Derale. This pic was taken during trial fit.

Ignore this member   
smokinzx14

Needs a life
posted September 12, 2008 09:45 AM        
quote:
quote:
quote:

Why will the motor last longer at 210 and not 180? Does anyone know the opening thermostat temperature on the 14?
Higher temps offer a better fuel burn .. Better fuel burn less unburned gas getting by the rings , Less fuel in the oil and less break down of the oil ... Cleaner oil less wear .. There are other reasons but i don't feel like typing for 3 hours ... lol ..

Ignore this member   
neverknow

Novice Class
posted September 12, 2008 01:56 PM        
OK tnks
Will try your route.

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Has anyone ever installed a temperature gauge on their ZX14? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2015 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.42682099342346 seconds processing time