HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Gear Indicator NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
zx14c5

Parking Attendant
posted September 09, 2008 06:11 AM        
Gear Indicator

Based upon other message threads, I know that when switching to a 16/43 gear on a ’08 ZX-14, I will likely have problems with the gear indicator displaying incorrectly especially in 4/5/6, because of how the ECU computes the selected gear as opposed to having an actual gear selection sensor.

Does anyone know if this is true for a 16/42 setup? Would this combination be right on the edge but will the ECU gear indicator still work properly in most cases? I'm not overly concerned with losing the indicator functionality, just curious where the edge is.

Ignore this member   
bigdtd

Needs a job
Interceptors
posted September 09, 2008 06:44 AM        
i run - 8% on the speedo healer with stock gears to get an accurate speedo and that meeses with the upper gear indications, so yes a 16/42 would probably do the same
2006 Black ZX-14,6 inches over,16/42, flies out,BMC Street Filter,Brock's Street Meg,Brock's Radial Mount Strap,PClll with Race map,Dynojet LCD w/Techmount, ZX-14 fender eliminator,Pilot Power2CTs,Speedohealer,Pazzo Levers,Cox Radiator Guard, Garmin Nuvi 265WT

Ignore this member   
zx14c5

Parking Attendant
posted September 09, 2008 01:09 PM        
If you have the upper gear indication problem with stock gearing (17/41) when the speedo is modified -8% by the speedohealer, then I should be able to correct the upper gear indication problem when using 16/43 by also installing the speedhealer and modifying the indicated speed appropriately. Am I missing something here?

Thanks.

Ignore this member   
gilberjj

Needs a job
Friend of Fast
posted September 10, 2008 07:45 AM        
sorry for the thread jack, but my gear indicator is delayed by several seconds at times, and sometimes it displays the wrong gear and then figures itself out..... very annoying
  Ignore this member   
bigdtd

Needs a job
Interceptors
posted September 10, 2008 12:50 PM        
quote:
sorry for the thread jack, but my gear indicator is delayed by several seconds at times, and sometimes it displays the wrong gear and then figures itself out..... very annoying

don't watch it too much you will wreck
2006 Black ZX-14,6 inches over,16/42, flies out,BMC Street Filter,Brock's Street Meg,Brock's Radial Mount Strap,PClll with Race map,Dynojet LCD w/Techmount, ZX-14 fender eliminator,Pilot Power2CTs,Speedohealer,Pazzo Levers,Cox Radiator Guard, Garmin Nuvi 265WT

Ignore this member   
bigdtd

Needs a job
Interceptors
posted September 10, 2008 01:04 PM        
quote:
If you have the upper gear indication problem with stock gearing (17/41) when the speedo is modified -8% by the speedohealer, then I should be able to correct the upper gear indication problem when using 16/43 by also installing the speedhealer and modifying the indicated speed appropriately. Am I missing something here?

Thanks.

your bike uses an optical sensor output from your counter sprocket combined with a math formula to derive speed and gear indications. the speedo healer intercepts that signal and adjusts it higher or lower to give you the correct speed when you make gearing changes. any change from the stock formula will cause irregularities in the gear indication.

Ignore this member   
zx14c5

Parking Attendant
posted September 11, 2008 06:17 AM        
OK, Thanks bigdtd.
  Ignore this member   
shane661

Needs a life
posted September 11, 2008 06:23 AM        
So, if you change factory gearing there is no way to make the gear indicator reliable?
  Ignore this member   
pazx14rider

Zone Head
posted September 13, 2008 11:27 AM        
if you pull your flies the indicator is screwed anyhow!
  Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Gear Indicator NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2022 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.33745718002319 seconds processing time