HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: How to Make Two Brothers Pipes Louder?? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
BigBadZX14

Parking Attendant
posted June 07, 2009 09:44 PM        
How to Make Two Brothers Pipes Louder??

I have Two Brothers Pipes on my ZX14. How can I make them a little more louder or throatier?? Can I remove some packing, or baffels?? And how?? Any thoughts??

Ignore this member   
LAB3

Needs a job
posted June 07, 2009 09:57 PM        
My advise is Not to try removing the packing. Major PIA to do this with out a jig fixture
to hold the muffler so you do not crush the inside core. Just keep riding, the packing
will burn out in about 5000 miles ro less, depends on your right hand :-)

Ignore this member   
ncognegro

Parking Attendant
posted June 09, 2009 05:20 AM        
I have removed packing for my mufflers and for friends before.I live in the stix and no one cares about loud pipes where I am at.Plus I like my pipes loud cuz most cars seem to be able to hear loud pipes b4 they see ya.Go figure.
All I do is drill out the rivets in the rear of the pipe.i then remove the baffle and packing.It's easier to get the packing out without the baffle. I replace the baffle and re rivet the pipe.Pretty easy and louder to boot.Some pipes that are a real tight fit need alot more pulling on the end cap to get them to separate other than that it's easy.

Ignore this member   
LAB3

Needs a job
posted June 09, 2009 06:30 AM        
quote:
I have removed packing for my mufflers and for friends before.I live in the stix and no one cares about loud pipes where I am at.Plus I like my pipes loud cuz most cars seem to be able to hear loud pipes b4 they see ya.Go figure.
All I do is drill out the rivets in the rear of the pipe.i then remove the baffle and packing.It's easier to get the packing out without the baffle. I replace the baffle and re rivet the pipe.Pretty easy and louder to boot.Some pipes that are a real tight fit need alot more pulling on the end cap to get them to separate other than that it's easy.

You have been lucky. Some pipe makers end caps are spot welded to the perforated core inside that the
packing wraps around. When you try to use a soft mallet and bump out the core they get stuck and you bend the inner core so now you have to buy a replacement end cap core assembly. It depends who has made the silencer. And sometimes reriveting back in the orginal hoes the rivet come loose after some time and miles and the hole you drilled thru is no a little larger dia. so the rivet is not as tight. I was Sales Manager/Tech Support at
D&D Exhaust back in the 90's and have seen some really bad examples of this going
wrong. On a carbon fiber sleve it is neally easy to ruin a silencer. And Yes a loud exhaust is a Great Horn.

Ignore this member   
Bawls

Needs a job
re-learning to ride
posted June 09, 2009 09:52 AM        
if he has the 08 then doesn't it have a cat in the headpipe as well that he can bust out and get some more flow through? I know that when i put my pipe on a guy at bike night was quick to snag my 07 headpipe for his 08.

Brockland Police Badge # 001

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Bawls's homepage. 
SticknMove

Novice Class
posted June 10, 2009 02:51 AM        
By a Brock System and throw your Two Brothers in the trash, that's how you make them louder.

Ignore this member   
Red1

Expert Class
posted June 10, 2009 09:57 AM        
+1 ,

You can remove the baffle if you want it even louder!!!

Ignore this member   
Sticks_n_Stones

Needs a job
posted June 10, 2009 10:04 AM        
If you can see gold colored inserts at the end (they will be black if they were in there very long, just wipe the soot off), then they are removeable and will significantly increase your sound level. I bought my 'baffles' (the gold inserts) to quite mine down, they are worth $50 so dont throw them away. Here is a photo of mine with them installed. Look real close in the photo and you can see them. Stock, you can see right down the throat and see the perforated core.

Flies out K&N in!
bits n pieces...

Ignore this member   
robrooter

Expert Class
posted January 15, 2012 03:32 PM        
any one running these as well

Ignore this member   
eklipse636

Needs a life
ZX-14
posted January 15, 2012 08:32 PM        
Holy grave digging!
But to answer your question, not too many guys here are running them. I haven't heard of anyone trying to make them louder since this thread.

Ignore this member   
Seno

Pro
BANNED FOR LIFE!
posted January 15, 2012 08:49 PM        
Look like they would be easy to open up and "modify".

Ignore this member   
cls

Expert Class
posted January 15, 2012 11:14 PM        
TBR's are pretty loud already for street exhaust. Most folks try to quiet them down. But, yes, there are several different models of tip inserts you can buy for most of their pipes. Quieter equals a little less oomph, of course. I've had quite a few on other bikes, not the 14. I'm a fan of TBR for most street bikes.
  Ignore this member   
joseph702

Zone Head
posted January 16, 2012 09:10 AM        
there deff loud for the street . nice idel but open it up every one knows ur there even the 5.0
  Ignore this member   
KSP03SV1

Parking Attendant
Sit down shut up n hold on!
posted January 31, 2015 01:24 PM        
TBR's end caps r a pain in the ass to remove! Easiest way I found was to heat the pipe up in the oven to about 270 to get adhesive tacky then I literally BEAT it out . As for the rivet holes I just ran a 6-32 tap through them once I got them back together and used some S.S. button head screws 3/16 long with a little silicone on the threads to prevent them from backing out. Looks good.

Ignore this member   
KSP03SV1

Parking Attendant
Sit down shut up n hold on!
posted February 01, 2015 03:01 PM        
TBR's end caps r a pain in the ass to remove! Easiest way I found was to heat the pipe up in the oven to about 270 to get adhesive tacky then I literally BEAT it out . As for the rivet holes I just ran a 6-32 tap through them once I got them back together and used some S.S. button head screws 3/16 long with a little silicone on the threads to prevent them from backing out. Looks good.

Ignore this member   
tuusinii

Pro
posted February 01, 2015 08:10 PM        
If you remove the packing you also lose HP...
  Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: How to Make Two Brothers Pipes Louder?? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2022 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.5766909122467 seconds processing time