HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: hey all, first post here, 2008 zx14 throttle control NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
phatphil

Parking Attendant
posted July 25, 2010 11:02 AM        
hey all, first post here, 2008 zx14 throttle control

2008 zx14, yosh r-77 slip ons.

i have posted this on another forum and i have searched for others with same issue and either very few bikes with same issue or my riding style seriously different on this bike.

i do not drag race at all and am interested in bettering hustling thru twisty stuff. has been same since new. had dealer check but said it was normal. but no way you can tell unless get into tight switchbacks with changing radius and elevation corners.

when closing throttle completely and then opening in fast, tight, switchbacks, there is sudden jolt trying to get back into throttle. at slower, relaxed pace, in straights, or open high speed sweepers, this is not an issue. only in aggressive, tight, cornering where quick shifting, braking and turning is required.

again, if not riding in tight consecutive corners aggressively in varied elevation, throttle is fine and tip in is great.

so far it seems the issue is the decel fuel shutoff. i dont know for certain if this is cause. one source told me all zx14 do this and only solution is to add pc3, remove flies and add tre006a. also wondering if any adjustments on my bike might be off. throttle body sync, etc. i have adjusted cables every possible way which only helps.

this is seriously getting frustrating as the really tight twisty stuff is some distance and when i get there and wick up the pace , i am held back by this.

any help with experiences from riders who ride hard in switchback corners welcome! Thanks in advance.,....

Ignore this member   
Hellmutt

Needs a job
posted July 25, 2010 12:19 PM        
Shouldn't need a pc 3 with factory header ( catalytics internal ) and slip-on's -- I've never had the oem header on mine, it was already fitted with aftermarket........I've logged one track day with mine and I do ride pretty hard on twisty backroads and drop in hard on an occasional off-ramp, but my '08 has never done what you're stating.........so it may be possible if it was a problem with 08's, that aftermarket exhaust and pc3 would fix it as mine is fine.
The only contributors to the problem that I can think of would be related to the shutoff circuit wiring/connection or solenoid itself?? Especially considering the other adjustments you've already made without repair.
Assuming that aftermarket exhaust & pc3 remedy the problem, be aware beforehand that the added power/torque are more abrupt, making you lose just a bit of throttle control when removing the flies.........this was one of the main reasons my flies are still in, the seller told me he found this to be an issue when applying exit power, and being DEEP on the knee -- bike would instantly be stepping out hard on him so he felt it needed that managability back -- I've no complaints, but a lot of others won't agree.
Wish I could help ya more, but I'm a 14 newb myself........just bought my '08 last spring, so I'm still on the learing curve

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Hellmutt's homepage. 
kaw now

Expert Class
posted July 25, 2010 01:56 PM        
I've ridden my 06 14 no flies with PC3 in the curves for thousands of miles. Not sure what you're doing but with the available torque down low on this bike I used to take slow curves with the revs down to 3K. I've since come to believe that 5K or more is a better control approach. Sounds like you may need to slow more going into the curve and start to accel upon entering the curve. The reason I say 3K is below that there is a significant drop off in torque with a sudden increase above 3K, that is the cam I believe so not really adjustable.
  Ignore this member   
Hellmutt

Needs a job
posted July 26, 2010 12:42 PM        
hmm, Not sure about that "acceling on the entry" tactic unless you apply just enough to maintain or you entered the turn too slowly to begin with -- I wasn't really ever below 4 or 5k in the turns at our track, and it's got a pretty snug 1st gear keyhole that still kept me up in the rev's -- just harder to control when it's screamin' 8-10k in a turn since less is more when you're in the higher torque range

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Hellmutt's homepage. 
zixxer14

Pro
Damn that was Quick
posted July 26, 2010 08:02 PM        
Mine was like that when I got it, more like an on/off switch than a throttle. Ditched the flies, remapped the pc3 with a map from Ivan & added the tre. Presto chango instant throttle control, love it. Oh yeah & Area P mufflers rebuilt & switched to cf by Kerry to lessen the roar & look way cool after 28k miles.
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit zixxer14's homepage. 
phatphil

Parking Attendant
posted July 27, 2010 05:06 PM        
quote:
Mine was like that when I got it, more like an on/off switch than a throttle. Ditched the flies, remapped the pc3 with a map from Ivan & added the tre. Presto chango instant throttle control, love it. Oh yeah & Area P mufflers rebuilt & switched to cf by Kerry to lessen the roar & look way cool after 28k miles.

zixxer, what year is your bike? how long owned and how long since change? only have issue when riding pretty aggresively. hard on brakes, hard back on gas, etc. not track riding so cant set up early and carry speed and always be smooth. but riding unfamilar roads.

Ignore this member   
zixxer14

Pro
Damn that was Quick
posted July 27, 2010 08:43 PM        Edited By: zixxer14 on 28 Jul 2010 04:49
It's an '06, had it for 2yrs. Changed it right after I got it cause I didn't like how it ran. Couldn't trust it not to spin up the rear powering out of corners & I really hate high sides. I only ride it on the street but somewhat agressively( ok I jump on it most of the time}. I ride with a bunch that mostly run liter bikes so we attack any corner we find. The Ivan's map & tre did the most to smooth out the power & also eliminate the backfire. Removing the flies freed up the lack of low end power making it far more fun. Gas mileage went to shit but who cares, when I got it the previuos owner had 37avg., I barely ever get 30. I tried a couple of pc maps but they sucked. I also switched to a 180/55 rear which help it turn in way easier. Might try a 190/55 but they screw you on the price of that size. Right now I got Pirelli Corsa 3's on it & they work great but I don't expect more than 1500 miles from them then I'll throw Michelin pp's on it again.
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit zixxer14's homepage. 
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: hey all, first post here, 2008 zx14 throttle control NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.21398210525513 seconds processing time