HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: HM Quickshifter Review NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Rook

Pro
posted January 13, 2012 01:41 AM        
johns, from what I understand, this system was designed to work with Vortex rearsets, only.

I don't see why other brands of rearsets wouldn't work but that would be something to ask the suppliers. If you could rig up a bracket from the speed sensor as was done with the DJ shifter, it sure seems like it would work positioned vertically with stock pegs and shift lever. BUT the 14r does not have a speed sensor and of course, such a setup as I just mentioned would be experimental.. Seems like it would work though. All the thing does is sense compression or traction on a shift rod.

Ignore this member   
Seno

Pro
BANNED FOR LIFE!
posted January 13, 2012 06:18 AM        
You can use just about any aftermarket rearsets that uses a linkage rod. I'm sure that you could engineer something using stock items, but regardless the rearsets are going to be smoother and works best (probably). Good luck!

Ignore this member   
johns

Expert Class
posted January 14, 2012 05:38 AM        Edited By: johns on 14 Jan 2012 22:03
Same problem with the Dynojet quickshifter on a ZX-14. I did a Dynojet quickshifter on a friends 08 ZX-14. Since Dynojet doesn't offer a kit using the foot operated sensor I made up my own mounting kit. I used a standard air shifter mount fitting (Schnitz Performance) which screws on the left end of the upper rear engine mount bolt for the fixed shifter mount. I ordered several size rod extensions with the DJ (LINEAR) sensor quick shifter kit. I got two metric male spherical rod ends (heim joint) with a teflon race from Midwest Contol Products (pt # DSTM8). One heim joint goes on the fixed air shifter mount on the end of the engine mount bolt . I used the second heim joint fitting from Midwest Control to mount the other end of the shift sensor to the shift lever.

This is a custom instillation which requires the DJ rod extensions be cut to fit and careful measurement so the finish cut rod extensions can be adjusted for proper setup of the DJ linear sensor with a ohm meter. The install on the 08 ZX-14 has worked flawlessly. Shift kill time was programmed at 65 thousanth's of a second.

I have not had any problems with the DJ sensors I have installed on several of my bikes or the 08 ZX-14 so far.
2003 124 C.I. H.D. Super glide

Ignore this member   
Seno

Pro
BANNED FOR LIFE!
posted January 14, 2012 12:36 PM        
That was my solution with the old bike..

Ignore this member   
Rook

Pro
posted January 15, 2012 09:00 AM        
Seno, you mentioned in the other thread about the Hm that you were using an HM Plus YK.

Looking at the HM fitment chart, you picked Plus because that is for NO Power Commander. The YK, I assume stands for Yamaha Kawasaki, meaning there is wiring and connectors to fit plug top coils like what is on Yamaha and Kawasaki.

I have a Power Commander 5 on my bike so I would want the HM PC. It would it still have to have the wiring and connectors for stick coils just like the YK model, right?

Ignore this member   
Seno

Pro
BANNED FOR LIFE!
posted January 15, 2012 09:10 AM        
Rook, it's all preference. Personally I like the idea of a standalone unit that has no dependencies on anything else. The PC version would work for you (I think), but you should check with the distributor to make sure. Look at the situation currently, have a brand new bike with no PCV available, but still using the Quickshifter ;-)

Ignore this member   
Rook

Pro
posted January 15, 2012 09:46 AM        
Yeah, I don't see why anyone would want to NEED to hook up to the PC if they could bypass it just as easily. There must be some reason that the PC model is available, though.

We'll see if my hunch is confirmed, but I suspect the suppliers might not be able to give a good solid answer to some of these questions. If that's the case I am going to have to wait a while on this purchase. I have other expensive mods that I are a lot less mysterious.

Ignore this member   
Rook

Pro
posted January 19, 2012 09:58 AM        
Here's the rundown. I'm sure some of this has been already gone over but in the interest of being complete....

Talked to the Annitori guy today. He seems to be the only person who knows what will work, why and how. He told me for the ZX-14:

You can go with the HM Plus or the HM PC. Both have the LCD display and both perform the same functions and have the same settings.

The HM PC Quickshifter which will wire from the shifter to a PowerCommander port. At first this sounds pretty sensible to have your PC and other electronics integrated into one system. However, if there is a problem with either, it will take more investigative work to determine if the trouble is related to the shifter or the PC. HM is phasing out the HM PC in favor of the HM Plus. Generally speaking, there is NO ADVANTAGE to using a HM PC over the HM Plus.

The HM Plus connects to the plugtop coils. If it malfunctions, there is no question that the trouble is with the shifter.

Another option is the HM RL. The RL does not have all of the adjustability of the HM Plus. The RL; has only 3 settings. According to The Annitori guy, over 90% of riders (they actually conducted a study) won't have any use for the broad range of adjustability of the HM Plus. Even if you do track riding it is unlikely that you would notice the difference between the RL or the Plus. The three settings of the RL were apparently well chosen. The fastest setting is going to be so close to what we all would use for performance riding that it doesn't pay for most folks to spend the extra $200 for the variety and precision of the Plus. Perhaps only if they are racing competatively. You do not need the cool LCD display with the RL and it can not be included in the system. Instead of the LCD, you have 3 LEDs on the shifter that indicate the shift mode that was selected.

I'm really into the gadgetry and love to fiddle with the stuff so I'm going with the HM Plus.

....and YES, an HM shifter can be installed on a bike of different make and model--you will just need the proper wiring and prolly the HM ignition box if the bike does not have plugtop coils.

Ignore this member   
VR46

Parking Attendant
posted March 02, 2012 04:24 AM        
Hi Seno,

After talking to Starcycle about getting the right Dynojet quickshift for my 2007 ZX14
I started doing more research and this research lead me to find your post here.

I was told I needed the 4-104 push type quickshift and some fabrication was necessary. Is this the same one in the pic you posted?

I would like to ask you how the fitting goes.
Do I need to alter the quickshifts length?
Is that little top bracket and spacer available to order on-line?

My bike has flys out PCIII Ivan's Block off plates and TRE, Youshi cans, K&N air filter.
I dont know if this has any relevance to this subject.

I am not getting rearsets yet but can I assume this push type 4-104 will do that as well?

Any help really appreciated.

I live in the UK.

Ignore this member   
johns

Expert Class
posted March 05, 2012 06:12 AM        
quote:
Hi Seno,

After talking to Starcycle about getting the right Dynojet quickshift for my 2007 ZX14
I started doing more research and this research lead me to find your post here.

I was told I needed the 4-104 push type quickshift and some fabrication was necessary. Is this the same one in the pic you posted?

I would like to ask you how the fitting goes.
Do I need to alter the quickshifts length?
Is that little top bracket and spacer available to order on-line?

My bike has flys out PCIII Ivan's Block off plates and TRE, Youshi cans, K&N air filter.
I dont know if this has any relevance to this subject.

I am not getting rearsets yet but can I assume this push type 4-104 will do that as well?

Any help really appreciated.

I live in the UK.

Same question Seno concerning the small L bracket and spacer?? I have a 2012 ZX-14R that I will want to install a Dynojet quick shifter on when they come out with a PC 5 for the bike.

My bike is the one Brock has in his shop for the Dragbike article he is doing on development of the new ZX-14R. He initially installed a ZX-10 power commander which does not have direct quick shifter capability. Brock will probably take care of this if Dynojet gets the new PC5 out before the bike finishes development and drag strip testing. If this doesn't happen in time I would like to know if you made the bracket & spacer or sourced it from some vendor??

John

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted March 05, 2012 06:17 AM        Edited By: Shane661 on 5 Mar 2012 22:17
DJ quickshifter is a fuel-kill. Anything that connects to the coil wires is a spark-kill.

Me, personally, I'd rather make less splices....that is a benefit of connecting to the Power Commander.

Shane

Ignore this member   
Seno

Pro
BANNED FOR LIFE!
posted March 05, 2012 08:34 PM        
Sorry for the poor response time guys.... After being with the same woman of 18 years, I finally left. Starting a divorce and been tied up with life bulkshit. The push sensor is what you need and you need to adjust the shift point to the "sensor position" on the quick shifter. In other words right before it will shift, is where you want the switch to kill the ignition to engage the gear easier.

Ignore this member   
Seno

Pro
BANNED FOR LIFE!
posted March 06, 2012 04:01 AM        
Johns,
On the 12R you can not mount the Quickshifter like pictured on my 07 due to the fact there is no countershaft sensor on the 12. I have seen a few people actually tap the countershaft sprocket cover, but it's your call as far as that goes. Me personally I would avoid drilling holes in my bike if it were avoidable. If your not using frame covers or plugs it would be fairly easy to make a linkage that would take advantage of that hole there..... Tap the rod running through the frame, install freeze plug, tap that then install top or Quickshifter onto that.

Ignore this member   
johns

Expert Class
posted March 08, 2012 06:26 AM        
quote:
Johns,
On the 12R you can not mount the Quickshifter like pictured on my 07 due to the fact there is no countershaft sensor on the 12. I have seen a few people actually tap the countershaft sprocket cover, but it's your call as far as that goes. Me personally I would avoid drilling holes in my bike if it were avoidable. If your not using frame covers or plugs it would be fairly easy to make a linkage that would take advantage of that hole there..... Tap the rod running through the frame, install freeze plug, tap that then install top or Quickshifter onto that.

Same question?? Did you make the small L bracket used as the fixed mount pictured on your 07 ZX-14 or did you purchase it along with the spacer from some source you would care to share? I used a different mount for the push sensor on a friends 08 ZX-14 but your L bracket is a neater install.

Ignore this member   
Seno

Pro
BANNED FOR LIFE!
posted March 08, 2012 08:16 AM        
That bracket used to be included with the Quickshifter hardware, now since they changed the unit to plastic, the bracket is not included... New Quickshifter feels like a POS compared to the original aluminum one.... Really can tell they cut as many corners as possible and got the part made that they can make the most money on...

Ignore this member   
Rook

Pro
posted March 09, 2012 03:09 AM        
Seno, did you need to actually start the motor in order to activate the LCD to do the setup?

I am pressing LCD button w/ignition off, turn ignition on, PC5/AT-200/Speedohealer all power up. HM LCD does nothing. Have not tried to start the engine yet. Would rather be nice and wait for a warmer day. ....so I thought I'd ask you.

Ignore this member   
Seno

Pro
BANNED FOR LIFE!
posted March 09, 2012 07:24 AM        
Yes, you need to start the bike to access settings. It gets the power off the coils

Ignore this member   
Rook

Pro
posted March 09, 2012 01:13 PM        
Thanks. Thought that was probably it but I'm glad you could confirm that for me.

BTW, I got the HM 115mm rod to fit and I mean JUST BARELY. Had NO room for a locknut on the back. The rod is tightened against the back rose joint. I have almost no adjustment threads. My pegs are all the way up and back. even so, I think the 100mm would have been the best choice. I just like the look of the 115mm better with the reduced center shaft. I ordered a 100mm also.

Ignore this member   
johns

Expert Class
posted March 10, 2012 09:18 AM        
quote:
That bracket used to be included with the Quickshifter hardware, now since they changed the unit to plastic, the bracket is not included... New Quickshifter feels like a POS compared to the original aluminum one.... Really can tell they cut as many corners as possible and got the part made that they can make the most money on...

Thanks Seno. DJ actually included a rinky dink stick on mount with the kit I received last year.

Ignore this member   
Rook

Pro
posted March 11, 2012 11:33 AM        
quote:
Yes, you need to start the bike to access settings. It gets the power off the coils

The problem must have had to do with the fact that a code was being thrown. I had my vehicle down sensor disconnected as the top fairing was removed. I was getting the LEDs to flash on my PC and AT but no display at all on my HM LCD. Couldn't enter setup mode because the LCD would NOT power up at all. Just a blank display.

I connected the tip over sensor and started the bike. That cleared the code. The HM can be put into setup mode by starting the engine with the LCD button presssed but I discovered that it is also possible to get into setup mode by simply turning the ignition on with the LCD button pressed. The fuel pump primes for just a half second longer than it takes for the LCD to do the 0-5 countdown, you release button just as the 0 is about to hit and you got yourself setup mode.

Ignore this member   
MehkoR

Novice Class
posted March 18, 2012 07:00 AM        Edited By: MehkoR on 18 Mar 2012 22:45
is it compatible with auto tune and pcv?
  Ignore this member   
Seno

Pro
BANNED FOR LIFE!
posted March 18, 2012 07:45 AM        
Yes, it operates independently. You hook it directly to the plug top coils

Ignore this member   
WRECKSHOP

Expert Class
posted March 21, 2012 03:46 PM        
HM Quickshifters are nice....
  Ignore this member   
MehkoR

Novice Class
posted March 24, 2012 06:05 AM        
Does anybody installed it on a 2012 14r with oem rearsets ?
  Ignore this member   
Seno

Pro
BANNED FOR LIFE!
posted March 24, 2012 12:20 PM        
I got my bike back from tuning center yesterday and got to tell you.... The HM Quickshifter is an amazing. It just makes it fun as hell to ride... Wide open throttle up shifts with TC off power wheelies 2nd and 3rd (with a little help). I love the 14R!

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 4 pages long: 1  2  3  4     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: HM Quickshifter Review NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2015 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.45850801467896 seconds processing time