HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: 1/8 mile testing Don's ECU reflash NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted January 25, 2012 09:05 PM        Edited By: smokinZX14 on 26 Jan 2012 05:08
1/8 mile testing Don's ECU reflash

Today kawitoms ECU showed up UPS and i changed it out with my stock ECU and headed to the track .. The reflash was top speed limiter removed .. Rev limiter moved up 500 RPMs .. Some timing was added to the ECU .. Don't ask because i don't know where in the map it was added or how much was added ..

..But before we get into what it ran lets go over the set up of the bike and the Air Temp and DA ... The set up was the same as last weeks 8.55 pass at Bradenton Motorsports Park Bradenton .. Only change was Dons reflashed ECU ... Now the Air and DA was a hole lot different .. Last week we had dry air in the low 60s and a reported below seal level DA ... Tonight we has high of 80 Deg and it was mid to high 70s when i made my first 3 passes .. Humdity 63 % and going up to 86% later in the night ... DA was 900+ plus when i made my first 3 or 4 runs ..

With this info in hand i felt if i could run in the mid to low 5.50s i would be doing pretty good ... As anyone can tell you that races both Bradenton Motorsports Park Bradenton and Sunshine speedway Bradenton Motorsports always has a little better ET and MPH than Sunshine .. It's a much better track and always posts better 1/8 mile numbers than Sunshine speedway ..

So running a slower track in clearly worse air i was able to run 5.47 548 5.48 @ 127 to 128 MPH and got very close to 129 MPH ..

So the good news was i got very very close to my 5.46 number i ran last week at Bradenton Motorsports Park Bradenton , and that did suprise me that i got that close to my very bast pass last week ! I feel strongly the extra timing in the reflashed ECU help me match my numbers from last week ..The bike seems ( butt dyno ) to pull harder in the low and mid range... Plus one for the ECU reflash ..

Then the problems started .. The Air shifter started missing first and second gears .. So i added some kill time and that didn't help ..Next 3 or 4 runs it kept missing gears ... Teddy and myself looked everything over and just could not understand why it ran fine for 3 or 4 runs then starts screwing up .. Teddy spotted the problem !!! Somehow the C02 Reg backed off to under 100 psi .. it was preset at 145 psi and i was it at 145 psi before i made my first fews runs .. Bottle PSI was over 800 PSI so we have pleanty of PSI .. Teddy cranked up the reg back up to 145 and the bike shifted fine for the rest of the runs ... But for some reason the reg backed off again to 120 PSI all on its own ..Why ? i have no clue but i will have to get it fixed some how ..

Because of this i didn't fully test the ECU extra 500 RPM limit .. I did pull the 10800 chip and and made a pass using the button for the shifts .. Problem i could not see the tach in first gear and ended up short shifting first to second gear at 9k or so ( best i could tell ) the other gears i was able to focus on the tach and shifted at 11300 and it was still pulling strong at that RPMs .. It was not falling over on its face and felt to be asking for more .. The run showed me no gains over shifting at 10800 .. But my 60 footer was only a 1.38 Vs my early runs in the low 1.30s .. Add to that i short shifted it into second gear because i could not see the tach .. So the test proved nothing at this point .. I needed a few more runs for it to be a good test ... I'm going to try to get a 10900 and a 11000 chip and retest .. I think there is some more power to be had shifting a bit higher but i failed to prove it ..

Top speed limiter was also removed with the reflash but i had no way of testing that .. I'm sure it works , i just don't have any place around here to test that .. I'll leave that up to the LSR guys to test that part of the ECU ..

All and all i'm very happy with Dons reflash ECU .. I thinks it worth the 375 bucks and will be sending mine off to Don for the same reflash as Kawitoms ECU ...I beleave the extra timing was helpfull for me to over come the bad Air and higher DA.... Brocks back to back testing of the reflashed ECU showed a gains on his Dyno ... So look for more testing on the reflash when i get mine back from Don ..

Times slips coming shortly ..

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted January 25, 2012 09:20 PM        Edited By: smokinZX14 on 26 Jan 2012 05:23
Big thanks to Kawitom , Brock and Don for hooking me up with the flashed ECU ... Thanks Guys ..

Ignore this member   
oldkawboy

Needs a job
posted January 25, 2012 09:37 PM        
That's why yer called smokin!!!

Great job Lee, thanks for the info.

Dan

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted January 25, 2012 10:04 PM        
Hang in there guys ..Once i get the bugs out and with the ECU reflash , P/C and map this bike is going to go 5.39 in the 1/8 mile and 8.40s in the 1/4 mile .. I know that sounds out of this world but i feel the bike can pull it off .. It will take a good clean pass with some good air but it will do it .. I can feel it coming ..

Ignore this member   
joseph702

Zone Head
posted January 25, 2012 10:24 PM        
lol smoke were is all the busa guys when all this is going on? even gen1 14 guys are just smoked at them times.
  Ignore this member   
madnessracing

Pro
Vmax and Busa Beater
posted January 25, 2012 11:17 PM        
Nice Smokin Keep up the good work!

Ignore this member   
LeoVinceZX14

Expert Class
Thankfully...its paid for...
posted January 26, 2012 01:00 AM        
That is getting it..done!!!

Smokin:

Great job bro! Your time slips show the potential RG spoke of early on of why the 14R is...what it is. You are going to see those 8.40's and I believe...lower once you get the bugs out along with your customary number of passes to fully see/feel what the bike wants with your skills.

Do what you do bro,

Leo
BMC filter
Leo Vince 4-2-1 w/ carbon can
Sato frame sliders
Supersprox 42T
Cox radiator guard
DID 530 X-ring chain.

Ignore this member   
KAWITOM

Expert Class
My 12R gone but not forgotten
posted January 26, 2012 03:22 AM        
Good job Lee glad everything worked out. by the way all you are doing is making me anxious to race mine thanks. LOL

Ignore this member   
KAWITOM

Expert Class
My 12R gone but not forgotten
posted January 26, 2012 03:26 AM        
By the way nice reaction times and 60's also.

Ignore this member   
Hayabusa14

Expert Class
posted January 26, 2012 03:47 AM        
I guess it's time for me to order a swing arm . You are doing
a great job, keep up the good work.

Ignore this member   
CajunBoyz

Zone Head
posted January 26, 2012 03:49 AM        
Smokin, you still running a stock clutch,no spacers on springs??? Are you comfortable with the stock clutch??or will you probally do a Brocks clutch mod when its released???

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted January 26, 2012 04:18 AM        Edited By: Shane661 on 26 Jan 2012 12:26
Lee, I tested my Guhl ECU in 6th gear on the dyno. The speed limiter is gone.

That was on a +400 rpm flash, with 30 psi in the rear tire, and strapped down tight, on stock gearing. I now have +500 rpm on it.

There is definitely some power up top, especially with a little tuning:

http://www.bikeland.org/board/viewthread.php?FID=27&TID=65069&set_time=

Thanks for posting up some track testing; my track is closed until March!

Shane

Ignore this member   
eklipse636

Needs a life
ZX-14
posted January 26, 2012 04:30 AM        Edited By: eklipse636 on 26 Jan 2012 12:33
quote:
I guess it's time for me to order a swing arm . You are doing
a great job, keep up the good work.

What kind of arm you thinking about getting?

That's some consistant killer 60fts smokin!

Ignore this member   
Lucky14

Pro
posted January 26, 2012 05:03 AM        
quote:
All and all i'm very happy with Dons reflash ECU .. I thinks it worth the 375 bucks and will be sending mine off to Don for the same reflash as Kawitoms ECU

Good job! Thanks for the report!

As far as the reflash, did it turn the TC to "off" as the default?
If not, I wonder if that can be done?
One less thing to worry about before making a run ...........................

Ignore this member   
SteddyTeddy

Pro
posted January 26, 2012 06:12 AM        
quote:
lol smoke were is all the busa guys when all this is going on? even gen1 14 guys are just smoked at them times.

Hanging back afraid to line up next to him! LOL Seriously!

He's still running a totally stock clutch. He had no complaints about it last night. I noticed last night he's still trying to get a feel for how much and how quick to turn on the power in first gear. Too much too soon and the bike wants to pull for the sky.

Ignore this member   
DocsNinja

Novice Class
Backs and Bikes is what I do..
posted January 26, 2012 06:33 AM        
This is Smokin, i,m posting from the shop puter .. I could not get anyone to line up with me ..They all got in line behind me

Ignore this member    Click here to visit DocsNinja's homepage. 
DocsNinja

Novice Class
Backs and Bikes is what I do..
posted January 26, 2012 06:36 AM        
quote:
Smokin, you still running a stock clutch,no spacers on springs??? Are you comfortable with the stock clutch??or will you probally do a Brocks clutch mod when its released???
The clutch is still stone stock , no shims or springs ... It seems to be working great so far ... i had one 1.31 60 footer last night but i missed a shift on that run ..

smokin..

Ignore this member    Click here to visit DocsNinja's homepage. 
SteddyTeddy

Pro
posted January 26, 2012 07:08 AM        Edited By: SteddyTeddy on 26 Jan 2012 15:09
Did you forget your own sign in name and password?
  Ignore this member   
shiphteey

Needs a job
posted January 26, 2012 07:17 AM        
WORD.

Topping out everything from Ninja 250s to nitrous ZX-14s.

Ignore this member   
RICH CRAFT 1

Zone Head
posted January 26, 2012 08:24 AM        
Lee, there is nothing wrong with your shifter. the problem lies in the tracks won't put down any good track glue! they are cutting the glue with a lot of methanol to save money. When you first get there, it seems to be okay. But with the extra alcohol. It dries out quickly. That and the streetcars seem to suck up what ever glue is left. if the 14 spans it won't shift. this drove me crazy at first until I realized what was going on. if you have a wego 3 it will show the wheelspin, but I have never been able to feel it.

Ken

Ignore this member   
RICH CRAFT 1

Zone Head
posted January 26, 2012 08:29 AM        
Shane, pull that air filter out, and it will fix your rich problem On top in, and add a few hp.

Ken

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted January 26, 2012 09:30 AM        Edited By: Shane661 on 26 Jan 2012 17:32
quote:
Shane, pull that air filter out, and it will fix your rich problem On top in, and add a few hp.

Ken

We already tuned it out with the Power Commander. When I removed the filter from the stock bike, it lost power on top and had some dips in the power curve. Our Gen 1 14's like the filter out (I saw +3 hp on the Gen 1's), I am not sure about the 14R. I want to test it out on the road with my data logger.

Shane

Ignore this member   
justoyz2

Zone Head
Justoyz Racing
posted January 26, 2012 09:42 AM        
Lee,

Good job

Ignore this member   
RICH CRAFT 1

Zone Head
posted January 26, 2012 10:13 AM        
quote:
quote:

Ken

We already tuned it out with the Power Commander. When I removed the filter from the stock bike, it lost power on top and had some dips in the power curve. Our Gen 1 14's like the filter out (I saw +3 hp on the Gen 1's), I am not sure about the 14R. I want to test it out on the road with my data logger.

Shane

I think with the way they have streamlined the new ram air. It should make more power with the filter out, but that should require more fuel, when I saw your afr at 12 .6 I thought removing the air filter would be about right. If you have a power commander? obviously that's an easy fix. If you pull that bird catcher out of the front of the ram air. It will help with airspeed in the ram air system.

Ken

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted January 26, 2012 11:25 AM        
quote:
Lee, there is nothing wrong with your shifter. the problem lies in the tracks won't put down any good track glue! they are cutting the glue with a lot of methanol to save money. When you first get there, it seems to be okay. But with the extra alcohol. It dries out quickly. That and the streetcars seem to suck up what ever glue is left. if the 14 spans it won't shift. this drove me crazy at first until I realized what was going on. if you have a wego 3 it will show the wheelspin, but I have never been able to feel it.

Ken
Trust me it was NOT spinning .. We only had 90 PSI .. Once it was set back to 145 PSI NO missed shifts .. The track was dead hooking all night even for 4 second cars ..

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 2 pages long: 1  2     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: 1/8 mile testing Don\'s ECU reflash NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.23034405708313 seconds processing time