HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: air shifter shifts to neutral wtf? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
fullthrottlekaw

Novice Class
posted March 28, 2012 08:10 AM        
air shifter shifts to neutral wtf?

Purchased a co2 airshifter from a member its a cycle tek kill box and harness braided lines to a regulator to a mps solenoid held by a mr turbo bracket. nice setup finally got around to testing it out and while at high rpms and full throttle to shift from 1st to second the shifter goes to neutral and i have to hit the button again to get it to second. WTF? what am i doing wrong or have setup wrong that is making it do that?

Ignore this member   
NINJA12

Needs a job
posted March 28, 2012 08:14 AM        Edited By: NINJA12 on 28 Mar 2012 22:17
needs more kill time or more pressure.
I would give it too much and back it down until it miss, rather than add more until it shifts.
Too many missed shifts can destroy your trans and maybe even your engine.

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted March 28, 2012 10:05 AM        
I had a cycle tek kill box and had problems .. Seems everybody that has one has NO problems ... just me i guess ... I changed kill box to a MPS box and it works fine now .. I also had to change the cycle tek co2 regulator to a better reg from MPS .. The cycle tek reg would not hold its setting .. One time i would have 80 psi next time i would have 120 .. cycle tek uses paint ball reg and i just don't think it up to the job .. The MPS reg i have now holds pressure the same day in day out .. Not saying this is your problem but it's worth a look see ...

Ignore this member   
LeonidasZX14

Pro
posted March 28, 2012 10:48 AM        
Make sure the ram is adjusted right as well. If its not it won't have enough throw in it, which will cause that as well. I had that issue and that was my problem.

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted March 28, 2012 10:54 AM        
quote:
Make sure the ram is adjusted right as well. If its not it won't have enough throw in it, which will cause that as well. I had that issue and that was my problem.
Ditto !!!!

Ignore this member   
1badzx12r

Needs a life
posted March 28, 2012 11:05 AM        
quote:

Too many missed shifts can destroy your trans and maybe even your engine.

and thats a fact not a myth...

Ignore this member   
1badzx12r

Needs a life
posted March 28, 2012 11:09 AM        Edited By: 1badzx12r on 29 Mar 2012 01:11
quote:

with this check the air exhaust port on the sileniod to see if the" stall valve" (my name for it) is wide open ..what the valve does when part closed is slow the return action down on the shifter .. it can make a ram move in slow motion ...

Ignore this member   
fullthrottlekaw

Novice Class
posted March 28, 2012 11:49 AM        
Thanks for all the input guys I'm thinking i need to up the pressure on the regulator it's not a cycletek regulator it's an actual high pressure regulator idk what brand it's is but it's much better quality then the cycle tek one looks. At least that's what I'm hoping it is cuz it shifts into other gears fine so I'm assuming the ram position is fine...I'll have to play with it tomorrow
  Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted March 28, 2012 12:03 PM        Edited By: smokinZX14 on 29 Mar 2012 02:21
quote:
Thanks for all the input guys I'm thinking i need to up the pressure on the regulator it's not a cycletek regulator it's an actual high pressure regulator idk what brand it's is but it's much better quality then the cycle tek one looks. At least that's what I'm hoping it is cuz it shifts into other gears fine so I'm assuming the ram position is fine...I'll have to play with it tomorrow
First to second is the longest of the bunch ... Make sure your ram is centered at rest .. if you have a 3 inch ram set it at rest at 1 and 1/2 inches .. dead in the middle of the ram .. If you have a 2 inch ram center it at 1 inch at rest .. Make damn sure it's not binding as it moves up to second gear .. You may have to grind the arm or clevis or the shift arm so it get full range .. You want the ram if mounted on the upper engine bolt to be allmost straight up and down to the shift arm .. Or as close as possible to it .. Mine ended up with just a bit of lean .. Make sure there is free travel up and down and side to side .. The least little hang up will keep it from shifting ..

You can see in this picture the bike just shifted to second gear as the photo was taken ..I still have ram left over as should yours ..

You should have ram left over ( or showing ) if the shifter lever is all the way down or all the way up .. if you don't you will have to move the cleivs closer to the front of the arm .. If you look close i had mine back to far ( you can see empty the hole in the arm ) ..I had to move it an inch closer to get full stroke ..

Ignore this member   
Compton

Zone Head
posted March 28, 2012 10:17 PM        
Its a mr turbo mount, mounts to the rear sets and under the engine. he bought it off of me. i used the power commander as my kill box, i just gave him a cycletek because i took it off my bike before i ever had a power commander. its a carolina cycle co2 regulator. always shifted fine my in bike, never had that issue. can you turn off the co2 and hit the kill button, does the engine actually cut out?

Ignore this member   
Compton

Zone Head
posted March 28, 2012 10:20 PM        Edited By: Compton on 29 Mar 2012 12:21
also it's setup to "push" the shifter out, not in. so don't adjust anything out. make sure you have the mr turbo piece on the shifter spine in the right spot, and the shifter is not hitting against the clutch cylinder.

Ignore this member   
NINJA12

Needs a job
posted March 29, 2012 12:42 AM        
any pictures of the mr turbo mount?

Ignore this member   
MotoCycho

Expert Class
posted March 29, 2012 05:18 AM        Edited By: MotoCycho on 29 Mar 2012 19:21
Wasn't clear if you auto shifted or manually shifted from a button?..

Mine is horn button operated and I have found that if I blip the button too quickly the ram won't go all the way in its travel and I could miss the shift. This has happened maybe 3 or 4 times.. but it's so lame when it does cuz if I just press the button and hold it in for a sec before letting go, the ram pulls the full throw and shift was perfect. Remember to let go of the button with enough time to reset for next shift of course.

To see what I am talking about turn your bike on and have your air shifter fully charged and armed. Engine NOT running, hit the shift button a few times. Watch when you hold the button in the ram stays pulled and when you blip it too fast it doesn't fully throw. I'd bet you are blipping it just enough to get to neutral. HOLD THAT BUTTON!

My two cents.

Just re-read and it looks like you do use a button.

Ignore this member   
fullthrottlekaw

Novice Class
posted March 29, 2012 06:19 AM        
Yes I do have a horn button and I'll try it out I haven't messed with the regulator setting since I purchased it so I assume since it worked for compton fine that could be my problem....I was always told to never hit the button to shift it while the bike wasn't on an moving since it works while under a load u could damage the shift forks...could be mistaken though
  Ignore this member   
MotoCycho

Expert Class
posted March 29, 2012 06:30 AM        
quote:
Yes I do have a horn button and I'll try it out I haven't messed with the regulator setting since I purchased it so I assume since it worked for compton fine that could be my problem....I was always told to never hit the button to shift it while the bike wasn't on an moving since it works while under a load u could damage the shift forks...could be mistaken though

Don't think it will hurt anything with the engine off. Certainly doesn't hurt it as much as a missed shift under full throttle. It's the same as when you try and put it in gear with engine off... it won't do anything. I just wanted you to see how quickly it reacts to the button push and how quick it snaps back when you let go. So too quick of a blip and you won't get a full throw.

Ignore this member   
fullthrottlekaw

Novice Class
posted March 29, 2012 07:03 AM        
  Ignore this member   
1badzx12r

Needs a life
posted March 29, 2012 08:00 AM        Edited By: 1badzx12r on 29 Mar 2012 22:05
never shift your bike with the engine off .. ex-specially a Kawasaki because of the neutral finder will not let the bike into 2nd while its not moving ..

the reason you never shift a bike while its not running is because the dogs can stack on top of each other and cause you to bend your shift forks .. but hey each his own

Ignore this member   
MotoCycho

Expert Class
posted March 29, 2012 06:32 PM        
The idea isn't to get it gear. It won't go in gear anyway.. the idea is to watch the air ram travel. No way pulling up on the shifter a bit is gonna hurt it with the engine off. Not like it's made of glass. Sheesh!
  Ignore this member   
1badzx12r

Needs a life
posted March 29, 2012 09:12 PM        
quote:

To see what I am talking about turn your bike on and have your air shifter fully charged and armed. Engine NOT running, hit the shift button a few times. Watch when you hold the button in the ram stays pulled and when you blip it too fast it doesn't fully throw. .

quote:
The idea isn't to get it gear. It won't go in gear anyway.. the idea is to watch the air ram travel. No way pulling up on the shifter a bit is gonna hurt it with the engine off. Not like it's made of glass. Sheesh!

why not put the bike on a rear wheel stand and shift it while its running.. sheesh

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: air shifter shifts to neutral wtf? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2022 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.48544502258301 seconds processing time