HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Air shifter advice.... NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
oldkawboy

Needs a job
posted April 03, 2012 12:17 PM        Edited By: oldkawboy on 4 Apr 2012 03:21
Air shifter advice....

Bristol Dragway opened Saturday and I found out Father Time has caught up with me, my old legs are not as flexible as they used to be.
I can still foot shift fast enough for street riding and racing but for launching I'm a tad slow getting my left leg up.

I'm gonna install an air shifter which I've never had before & need a little help.
I ran a search but many post are older ones and I'm wondering if things have improved or changed.

I have a ZX14 and use the bike for LSR & some dragstrip passes. With the amount of time between laps I don't mind airing up the bottle between passes. I'd like as small of a cylinder as possible because of the lack of room. I don't want it hanging off the bike and I run a stock arm.
How small can I go and have enough pressure/volume for 5 shifts? Will a 8oz bottle work or do I need a one pounder?
Any suggestions where to mount one? I run a lightweight battery and have some room there.
What about a bracket mount for the shifter?
Thanks for any help or ideas,
Dan

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted April 03, 2012 12:45 PM        Edited By: smokinZX14 on 4 Apr 2012 03:52
8 oz C02 will work fine ... I have a 20 Oz bottle and have used it for quite some time now ... I started with 850 psi and it still has 850 psi in the bottle ..8 oz CO2 will get you 70 or more shifts no problem.. That is if you don't have any leaks If you don't want CO2 you can use a one pound bottle pumped up to 125 psi and you will get 5 shifts and then you will have to pump it back up .. Bit of a pain in the ass if you ask me ..CO2 with a good reg is the way to go ..as far as the shifter mount i like muzzys kit..it's a bit pricey but it a nice bolt on unit .. MPS is a good place to start looking for a air shifter kits ..They have all styles , co2 type, pumps type ,kill boxes , ect ect ..

Ignore this member   
NINJA12

Needs a job
posted April 03, 2012 08:25 PM        
I found a small bottle that fit in the battery box with the battery. You still have to find a spot for the pump. Even if you go with a CO2 setup, i suggest you add a valve to add air, I can't count the times that someone got to the track and the CO2 had leaked out since the last trip.
  Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted April 03, 2012 08:29 PM        Edited By: Shane661 on 4 Apr 2012 11:38
Dan, you can use a 3.5 oz co2 bottle and they are good for about 50 shifts. I usually use the 9 oz bottles, and they are good for 200+ shifts, but larger. The 3.5 oz bottles seem to be harder to fill properly. I always weigh the bottles empty to make sure they are filled properly by the shop.

Shane

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted April 03, 2012 10:34 PM        
quote:
Dan, you can use a 3.5 oz co2 bottle and they are good for about 50 shifts. I usually use the 9 oz bottles, and they are good for 200+ shifts, but larger. The 3.5 oz bottles seem to be harder to fill properly. I always weigh the bottles empty to make sure they are filled properly by the shop.

Shane
I have two 4 OZ co2 bottles i'm not going to use , Dan if you want them you can have them..they are pretty small ..

Ignore this member   
SteddyTeddy

Pro
posted April 03, 2012 10:38 PM        
This thread just reminded me that I have to find and fix my air leak before tomorrow. Time to do the CO2 switch over.
  Ignore this member   
oldkawboy

Needs a job
posted April 03, 2012 11:17 PM        
Lee,
Thanks for the offer !

I had to use co2 at work years ago and our regulators sometimes would freeze up or not operate all the time correctly. It was a big system so I don't know if it's relevant.

Are there any problems with using co2 ?

I like the idea of a small bottle, there's sure not much room on the 14's.

Thanks guys for the help.......keep the suggestions coming!

Dan

Ignore this member   
smokinZX14

Needs a life
posted April 03, 2012 11:40 PM        Edited By: smokinZX14 on 4 Apr 2012 14:43
These small one will fit on a zx14 somewhere..

Ignore this member   
CraZX14

Expert Class
posted April 04, 2012 12:42 AM        
quote:
These small one will fit on a zx14 somewhere..

Nice impression of Wilson from Home Improvement, Lee

Ignore this member   
01smokes

Needs a job
posted April 04, 2012 02:03 AM        Edited By: 01smokes on 4 Apr 2012 18:52
co2 worked well for me, i also ran the mps auto shift box. damn it was easy not having to look for the shift light !

Email, artvgl@yahoo.com

Ignore this member   
oldkawboy

Needs a job
posted April 04, 2012 02:22 AM        
Hmmm.......

Hadn't thought about an auto-shift. Seems my eyes are exactly the same age as my legs & they don't work too good either.

I'm gonna check into that Smokes, thanks.

Dan

Ignore this member   
WARBIRD

Needs a job
posted April 04, 2012 06:56 AM        
quote:
Hmmm.......

Hadn't thought about an auto-shift. Seems my eyes are exactly the same age as my legs & they don't work too good either.

I'm gonna check into that Smokes, thanks.

Dan

Bahahaha...........I know just how you feel Dan.................

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Air shifter advice.... NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2015 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.2942361831665 seconds processing time