HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: No headlights and buzzing relays on '07 zx14 NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
DMC1

Parking Attendant
posted June 27, 2012 09:11 PM        Edited By: DMC1 on 28 Jun 2012 06:32
No headlights and buzzing relays on '07 zx14

Just like the title says, I was out riding and stopped for fuel and noticed the headlights were not on, while riding in the daylight of corse. So I got it home and checked all the simple stuff relay's under the seat, fuses and the only thing the I can find is the relays behind the headlights them selves are buzzing once I try and start it when the headlights are suppose to come on, but they do not and the relays buzz, if anyone has any thoughts that I would be thankful b/c I am at a loss now.

Ignore this member   
zixxer14

Pro
Damn that was Quick
posted June 27, 2012 09:21 PM        
Sounds like a low voltage problem. Whai's the battery voltage? It should be a minimum of 12.0 sitting and around 13.5 when running. Is it starting hard or slow?
  Ignore this member    Click here to visit zixxer14's homepage. 
DMC1

Parking Attendant
posted June 27, 2012 10:31 PM        Edited By: DMC1 on 28 Jun 2012 06:34
quote:
Sounds like a low voltage problem. Whai's the battery voltage? It should be a minimum of 12.0 sitting and around 13.5 when running. Is it starting hard or slow?

I got 12.2 at the battery and 13.7 while running, and the batts new, like 3 months old new. No starts just fine.

Ignore this member   
mick46

Expert Class
posted June 28, 2012 02:13 AM        
Sounds suspiciously like the relay/diode combination in the junction box that kills the feed to the headlight circuit until it detects AC voltage from the stator. The junction box is a sealed unit so the only way to eliminate it would be to swap it out... maybe borrow one to try it , it is common to a fair few Kawas.
Brocks CT Meg, PCV & QuickShifter, Brembo M4 Monoblocs, Grimeca 320mm discs, Nitron Race shock, Gilles rearsets , adjusters and TCA axle nut, Supersprox 42T, DID nickel plate X-ring, HEL brake lines, bar risers, shorty levers, tail tidy, Zero Gravity screen, RandG spools and bar ends, GPR V4 damper.... Done !
1999 Hayabusa , stretched lowered and a 60 shot !

Ignore this member   
mick46

Expert Class
posted June 28, 2012 02:17 AM        
Or a bad connection...
Brocks CT Meg, PCV & QuickShifter, Brembo M4 Monoblocs, Grimeca 320mm discs, Nitron Race shock, Gilles rearsets , adjusters and TCA axle nut, Supersprox 42T, DID nickel plate X-ring, HEL brake lines, bar risers, shorty levers, tail tidy, Zero Gravity screen, RandG spools and bar ends, GPR V4 damper.... Done !
1999 Hayabusa , stretched lowered and a 60 shot !

Ignore this member   
DMC1

Parking Attendant
posted June 28, 2012 04:34 PM        
quote:
Or a bad connection...

Thanks, I will have to check into both of these.

Ignore this member   
RRZX-14

Novice Class
Get out and ride!
posted June 28, 2012 07:54 PM        
Had a similar problem, check the ground wire for the headlight cluster, then all of the grounds in the wiring harness. Had to replace the headlight ground on mine.

Those "watertight" connectors will eventually fail, especially if you ride year-round for many years.

Ignore this member   
Bad in Black

Expert Class
posted June 29, 2012 05:29 PM        
quote:
Had a similar problem, check the ground wire for the headlight cluster, then all of the grounds in the wiring harness. Had to replace the headlight ground on mine.

Those "watertight" connectors will eventually fail, especially if you ride year-round for many years.
Or soak your bike alot washing it with a hose or pressure washer.

Ignore this member   
MrTinch

Parking Attendant
posted July 01, 2012 04:01 PM        
Got the same problem on my 06 zx14 relay buzzing by the head lights . Any luck finding the problem?

Ignore this member   
MrTinch

Parking Attendant
posted July 01, 2012 07:55 PM        
Got the same problem on my 06 zx14 relay buzzing by the head lights . Any luck finding the problem?

Ignore this member   
Ozonkiller

Expert Class
posted July 04, 2012 08:06 PM        
Check the fuses. All of them. There are fuses for lo beam, hi beam and headlight relay. When I pulled the relay fuse the lights go out and a buzzing sound comes from regulator area.
  Ignore this member   
DMC1

Parking Attendant
posted July 05, 2012 01:40 PM        
quote:

Nope, sorry bud no luck yet, but soon as I know something I'll let you know and I sure would appreciate it if you let me know if you figure it out before I do.

Ignore this member   
DMC1

Parking Attendant
posted July 05, 2012 01:48 PM        
quote:
Check the fuses. All of them. There are fuses for lo beam, hi beam and headlight relay. When I pulled the relay fuse the lights go out and a buzzing sound comes from regulator area.

Man I've been threw all the simple stuff 3 times ove just to make sure I didn't miss anything, I've checked voltages at the battery, the stator, and all my grounds and the the only thing I come up with is the line continuity on the clutch side low beam seems way off can remember the number right off but I remember it being high like it is being flooded with more voltage then it should have. So now looks like I got to start chasing wires down threw the harness.

Ignore this member   
TH1RT3EN

Zone Head
Trial And Error Control
posted July 05, 2012 04:49 PM        
Do you have a copy of your service manual to help make things easier to trace down wires and issues? i have a pdf copy of the manual if you want it.

Also just a shot in the dark but have you tried just replacing the head light bulbs them selves yet? I know you can pick up a set cheap at walmart. 6 bucks each. I know its a shot in the dark but i figured i would at least ask..

Patrick

When I was a kid i used to........... Wait I Still Do That!

Ignore this member   
DMC1

Parking Attendant
posted July 10, 2012 12:25 PM        
quote:
Do you have a copy of your service manual to help make things easier to trace down wires and issues? i have a pdf copy of the manual if you want it.

Also just a shot in the dark but have you tried just replacing the head light bulbs them selves yet? I know you can pick up a set cheap at walmart. 6 bucks each. I know its a shot in the dark but i figured i would at least ask..

Patrick

Yes, I have one, thanks for the offer.
Yes, I have changed the bulbs, I had a few different sets around to see which one I could see best at night with; but still no head lights. Whats funny is I took the bike out of my shop this weekend while moving some things around and rode it around the block and came back and the lights where on and I thought for sure now it's a wiring short b/c when I was done in the shop and put the bike back inside sure as shit the lights did not work. So I am pretty sure now I have to get in to all that wiring lol.

Ignore this member   
Fastest-14

Expert Class
Fastest -14
posted October 05, 2012 02:09 AM        Edited By: Fastest-14 on 5 Oct 2012 10:19
quote:
Just like the title says, I was out riding and stopped for fuel and noticed the headlights were not on, while riding in the daylight of corse. So I got it home and checked all the simple stuff relay's under the seat, fuses and the only thing the I can find is the relays behind the headlights them selves are buzzing once I try and start it when the headlights are suppose to come on, but they do not and the relays buzz, if anyone has any thoughts that I would be thankful b/c I am at a loss now.

DMC1, I'm having the same exact problem that you are/were having. Headlights come on for a while, then go off for a while, come back on, the buzzing up near, underneath the dash and while this is happening, my turn signals on the dash stays on the whole time. Rear light and brake lights work fine. Now the headlights stay off all the time. They don't come on anymore but the front corner/running lights stay on. Did you ever find out what the problem is?

Ignore this member   
Fastest-14

Expert Class
Fastest -14
posted October 05, 2012 02:16 AM        
quote:

RRZX-14, where at on the bike is the headlight ground located?

Ignore this member   
RRZX-14

Novice Class
Get out and ride!
posted October 05, 2012 06:02 AM        
quote:
quote:

RRZX-14, where at on the bike is the headlight ground located?

Will try to get a picture & a scan of the wiring diagram when I get home.

Ignore this member   
RRZX-14

Novice Class
Get out and ride!
posted October 07, 2012 08:00 AM        
Was not able to get a pic, but on the 06, the headlight ground is a black & yellow wire that comes off of each headlight, city light & turn signals. They connect to a one black/yellow wire that leaves the headlight relays. You will need to trace that wire to a joint connector that has 6 black/yellow wires connected. One of the black/yellow wires in that connector connects directly to the frame ground beside the battery.

Ignore this member   
INTIMIDA2OR

Needs a life
RED rider!
posted October 08, 2012 07:38 PM        
Up!

*Lee*

Ignore this member   
Adams Performance

Parking Attendant
Big Bore Long Stroke
posted October 09, 2012 05:03 AM        
Check the joint connector, it is located on the left side of the bike (clutch lever side) on the wiring harness right at the radiator it sits on top of the harness it will be wrapped with electrical tape on the harness it connects all you grounds.

Garron

Ignore this member     
INTIMIDA2OR

Needs a life
RED rider!
posted October 09, 2012 05:45 PM        
Is it fixed yet?

*Lee*

Ignore this member   
MrTinch

Parking Attendant
posted May 08, 2013 02:11 PM        
Bump! Did anyone fix this problem

Ignore this member   
Adams Performance

Parking Attendant
Big Bore Long Stroke
posted May 10, 2013 04:03 AM        
It is the ground junction on the left side of the bike near the radiator, it looks like a little black square and is taped to the wiring harness it has maybe 6 wires going to it maybe 8 can't remember. you can fix the junction or take some of the wires and had a ground to the frame to them. hope this helps

Ignore this member     
2002 zx12

Novice Class
2002 zx12
posted June 26, 2013 05:33 PM        Edited By: 2002 zx12 on 27 Jun 2013 01:37
This was the same problem my brothers 2006 zx14 was having the ground junction box was the problem like Coby Adams mentioned above. Thanks saved me a ton of time from having to trace the problem down. I have posted a pic to help others as well right under ram air cover on the left side. [img][URL=http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/zx1406/media/001_zps7e5d6fe1.jpg.html][/URL][img]
  Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 2 pages long: 1  2     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: No headlights and buzzing relays on \'07 zx14 NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.24013304710388 seconds processing time