HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Been Away A While NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
brooksie

Parking Attendant
posted December 23, 2014 12:51 PM        
Been Away A While

It's been a couple years since my last visit. Still riding the 2008 ZX14, pretty much in stock form. Doing some slight mods : Sargent seat, Puig screen, centerstand, Corbin peg lowering kit, soft luggage. Mostly stuff I can change back and forth easily. Tried Area P silencers and they were great. Put the stockers back on for long rides planned for 2015.
This is the best bike ever made and the only thing I'd get if I lost it is a newer ZX14!

Ignore this member   
smokinstorm

Zone Head
Old Drag Racer
posted December 23, 2014 08:36 PM        
I don't think anyone is on here as much as they used to be. I know I'm not since my 14 broke last year. I'm hoping to have enough funds available to get it up and running again by Spring.
2001 GSXR 1000
Looking for a 1985 GS1150E

Ignore this member   
brooksie

Parking Attendant
posted December 23, 2014 10:46 PM        
I noticed that sites for ZX14's are pretty quiet places.Hell, I've been offline for two years trying to find more time to ride. There's just not a whole lot that goes wrong with these bikes and they come with just about everything you would want (especially POWER). I am tinkering around this winter trying to keep into it. I am probably gonna get a second bike for townie work and giggles. Looking at a Ducati Monster 821 but I'm waiting for the Stripe edition to hit so I can get adjustable suspenders.
I had the Zed out a few times only this past year on some mid-range (200 mile) rides and I am still blown away by the versatility of this machine. It has something the Euro bikes just can't seem to get: full ergonomic integration. I am not a fan of Adventure bikes as they are too big and top heavy for local work (like a Land Rover that NEVER goes off road) and I already have a sport bike in the ZX. While the ZX may have similar weight to the ADV genre, it is down low and handles great in moderate twisties. Plus, how many ADV bikes can do 10 second 1/4 miles out of the box?
What's the deal with your '14?

Ignore this member   
smokinstorm

Zone Head
Old Drag Racer
posted December 24, 2014 01:59 AM        
Trying to race it and going fast causes problems. The motor in the bike came apart and knocked a hole in the case necessitating a whole new engine. I bought a complete "built" engine with a 2 mil bore but came to find out after installing said engine that it was, in fact, a junker with a spun bearing. Yeah, I got took pretty bad on that one as I could not hear the purchased engine run as it was out of the frame already. Guy did have a bunch of timeslips from this "built" engine that were slower than I was running with my stock engine. Red flags should have been waving wildly but I figured maybe we were lighter and riding better. Yeah, right. If something smells funny one should assume the worst, not the best. Lesson learned. I just need to get another engine and start all over from scratch. We'll get there. I still love the bike and will not give up on it even though I have a turbo Hayabusa and a GSXR 1000 that are both quicker at the track than the 14 was.
2001 GSXR 1000

Ignore this member   
brooksie

Parking Attendant
posted December 25, 2014 05:32 AM        
Bummer on the engine. What's your plan on putting her back on the road?
  Ignore this member   
smokinstorm

Zone Head
Old Drag Racer
posted December 25, 2014 07:34 AM        
I'm hoping to run across a little bit of money in the next few months. I've already spoken with Adams Performance and gotten a price on doing me up a 2x6 motor in the 240-250 horsepower range and then add a little spray. I've had the the head for this package minus cams from them since day one. If I cannot swing that I'll just get another "stock" engine and be back on the road/track at least. We were running 5.50's @ 130ish in good air with the "stock" engine before it let go in a big way so we should be able to duplicate those numbers again with just a solid stock bottom end with the head we already have. A lot of time, effort and money has gone into setting the frame up to extract good times at the track. We just need a solid motor. Especially if we go with the "stock" engine, we should be able to ride the bike around as we please. It seems like everyone around here that races is in the 4's nowadays though so I'd really like to be able to step up our game to stay somewhat competitive. Advice to all: Don't get bit by the racing bug. It'll ruin your nice ride around type bike.

2001 GSXR 1000

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted December 25, 2014 02:08 PM        
If I had a sack of cash I'd be all over the H2.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit fish_antlers's homepage. 
brooksie

Parking Attendant
posted December 25, 2014 05:35 PM        
It'd be cool to see pics or video of you guys in action. I love the stuff showing on YouTube showing the '08's jamming the strips and the canyons. Good look getting it back!
  Ignore this member   
smokinstorm

Zone Head
Old Drag Racer
posted December 27, 2014 03:36 AM        
quote:
If I had a sack of cash I'd be all over the H2.

That's not quite the amount of money I'm expecting to run across. Just enough to get the 14 going again is what I'm hoping for. Or about $20K short of an H2 The 14 will be going again in 2015. Just don't know how quick/fast right now.
2001 GSXR 1000

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Been Away A While NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2015 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.4400269985199 seconds processing time