HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Zx14 overheating now NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
wildncrazyguy

Novice Class
posted July 26, 2016 07:21 PM        
Zx14 overheating now

Ok so I had the bike in,storage for a year and now it's overheating and i,dont mean hot, I mean the temp notice is flashing. I flushed out the cooling system and put in engine ice. Still overheats. I bought a new radiator, same thing. Water pump turns fine. I took the thermostat out and it opens in boiling water so I think that's ok. Still overheats. Finally I drained the oil and put in full synthetic and now it doesn't overheat but it's at 4 to 5 bars all the time. Ideas? I'm thinking another fan but with all I've done already it should be running much cooler.

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted July 26, 2016 08:28 PM        
what year 14?

Ignore this member    Click here to visit fish_antlers's homepage. 
wildncrazyguy

Novice Class
posted July 27, 2016 12:18 AM        
  Ignore this member   
wildncrazyguy

Novice Class
posted July 27, 2016 12:19 AM        
8000 miles
  Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted July 27, 2016 06:12 AM        
so when it's running hot or about to overheat, what are the circumstances? ie - stuck in traffic, highway riding etc, and what is the ambient temperature outside when this happens? does it happen all the time regardless if it is winter or summer etc?

motoman1

Parking Attendant
posted July 27, 2016 08:12 AM        
Sounds like you have a clog in your radiator, maybe from storage. Remove it and take it to a radiator shop for a total flush.

Hopefully, there's nothing clogging a water passage in your block.

Ignore this member   
wildncrazyguy

Novice Class
posted July 27, 2016 10:35 AM        
I just installed a new radiator. If there was a clog is there something I can flush it w besides just vinagar to maybe clean it out? This is my only guess to. It only overheats to flashing when sitting at a light or idling on a summer day. Not that hot out either, like 75 80.
  Ignore this member   
wildncrazyguy

Novice Class
posted July 27, 2016 10:35 AM        
New radiator, no change.
  Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted July 27, 2016 03:19 PM        
That vintage 14 will overheat idling on a hot summer day. You can try a higher pressure radiator cap or add a fan. You will notice that the mounting position for the second fan is already on the bike.

INTIMIDA2OR

Needs a life
RED rider!
posted July 30, 2016 06:15 PM        
I think the thermostat is suspect. I would run without it and record any changes.

*Lee*

Ignore this member   
wildncrazyguy

Novice Class
posted July 31, 2016 06:55 PM        
I'm guessing you're right lee, but thermostat opens in hot water. Doesn't that,mean it's good? Can I just remove thermostat? People say that isnt good to do but bike ran,cooler I remember without it.
  Ignore this member   
INTIMIDA2OR

Needs a life
RED rider!
posted July 31, 2016 09:30 PM        
Depends on how hot that water is. The thermostat should open around 160° . You can kinda tell when the thermostat is supposed to open by leaving the radiator cap off and watching qhen the circulation begins. Should start circulation just before the bars reach half.

You are safe to run without a thermostat. Only time it would suck is if you lived in cold climates then the bike would take forever to warm up lol.

But when you do take it out and the problem goes away then i believe you found the problem.

*Lee*

Ignore this member   
wildncrazyguy

Novice Class
posted August 27, 2016 11:57 AM        
Removed thermostat. Still overheats, boils over when shutting it down. Flushed clr through system to clean it out as well. I did notice bubbles when removing rad cap and if I rev engine water pours out of radiator top. Oil is fine and no white smoke so I'm not sure if it's hear gasket, hope not. Water pump spins. 4-5 bars at 55 set outside. Somethings wrong.I'm stumped.
  Ignore this member   
INTIMIDA2OR

Needs a life
RED rider!
posted August 27, 2016 12:21 PM        
Hmm interesting problem...
Well during normal running these bikes do run hot.
Typically if it is a hot summer day these bikes will over heat pretty quick when idling around . Once moving normal temps are 4 bars . When sitting in traffic in summer temps 5 bars and sometimes all 6 will fill up . At this point it is time to get moving or pull over and shut down . After 6 bars all the bars will flash indicating an overheating condition.

In winter temps 3 and possibly 2 bars will be normal but at slow speeds and idling you will still be able to see 4 and 5 bars depending on how long you sit for.
Bottom line is once you are moving the temps should stabilize and drop to a normal 3-4 bars.
Also the fan should normally kick on after the 4th bar stays on for a bit.

*Lee*

Ignore this member   
wildncrazyguy

Novice Class
posted August 29, 2016 03:44 AM        
5 bars it flashes i,though5. I'm one below flashing moving at 55 deg
  Ignore this member   
wildncrazyguy

Novice Class
posted August 29, 2016 03:46 AM        
And im,flashing when I stop immediatwly even in coolweather
  Ignore this member   
wildncrazyguy

Novice Class
posted August 29, 2016 06:49 AM        
It is at 5 bars even on cool day moving, flashes when stopped. Fan kicks in at 4.
  Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted August 29, 2016 09:57 AM        
what's your riding style? are you riding it at max rpm all the time?

wildncrazyguy

Novice Class
posted August 29, 2016 10:03 AM        
No dude, run at 6000 rpm or lower now because of this. Amazing all the posts on this issue online w no real answers
  Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted August 29, 2016 08:21 PM        
you've had some real answers by some very knowledgeable people here. tell us more about the bike. is it stock? have you modified the ignition or fuel delivery in any way?

INTIMIDA2OR

Needs a life
RED rider!
posted August 30, 2016 01:59 AM        
It really sounds like there isn't much water flow for some reason. If you had access to an infrared thermometer you should be able to verify it by testing the heat coming off the radiator. If it is a flow issue then only one side of the radiator would be hot and the other side much much cooler.

I had quite a few bikes come through my shop that had different kinds of overheating problems .
The ones that stand out the most were ,1 a false reading caused by a faulty sensor making the temp read higher than it really was , 2 water pump shaft broken but still turned a little bit to trick me into thinking there was water flow but it just wasn't enough flow , 3 a fan problem where the fan turned on and off at random times .

Anyway back to yours .If the coolant level stays full then it really can't be a crack or a blown head gasket so that can be ruled out ,the fan works so that is ruled out, new radiator, thermostat functions and no change without it . Water pump is turning full speed with no shaft problems.

I wonder if it would still overheat if you hooked a garden hose up to one of the radiator hoses with the cap off?

There has to be a water flow issue .

*Lee*

Ignore this member   
wildncrazyguy

Novice Class
posted August 30, 2016 07:13 AM        
I was thinking maybe that's next, replacing the water pump. I did hook up a water hose to every hose on my bike and water flows through everything. Wondering if the pump isn't efficient as it should be. The radiator is hot everywhere, not cool in one area. I did install a 2nd fan and it won't overheat idling, won't even pass 4 bars now with this 2nd fan, another stock one. I'll see how it does on the freeway and coming off it now.....
  Ignore this member   
wildncrazyguy

Novice Class
posted August 30, 2016 08:35 AM        
Other thought, I have slip on exhaust with stock header . maybe it's running lean?
  Ignore this member   
INTIMIDA2OR

Needs a life
RED rider!
posted August 30, 2016 10:57 AM        
Wow progress has been made! A second fan has made an improvement. I do not believe that this is a fix for the problem however it could stay good for a while.
What this tells me is that the water circulation isn't up to par so now more air flow is going through the radiator cause of the 2nd fan and now the water is cooler and is now helping overcome the circulation problem. At least that's how it is making sense to me. So I'm thinking the water pump is suspect.

*Lee*

Ignore this member   
INTIMIDA2OR

Needs a life
RED rider!
posted August 30, 2016 11:01 AM        
I do not think the exhaust is causing the overheating.
My 06 Blue 14 has slipons with now Power commander and stock header. It runs normally warm with 3-4 bars .

*Lee*

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 2 pages long: 1  2     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
Quick Reply:

Email Notification: Send all replies to your email address.
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX-14.com > Thread: Zx14 overheating now NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.28749299049377 seconds processing time