HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > HAYABUSA-ZONE.com > Thread: S&S West Coast Dyno Shootout Results NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
k bryant

Needs a job
Sponsor
posted July 15, 2008 09:22 AM        Edited By: k bryant on 15 Jul 2008 10:50
S&S West Coast Dyno Shootout Results

For the 2nd year, S&S sponsered this event and hired Area P to host and operate their West Coast Dyno Shootout at the LA Calender Show last weekend. This was our 13th year of operating this show at the Queen Mary Event Park, Long Beach, CA. Beautiful weather and very large turnout. We ran 81 bikes over two days and pulled 193 dyno runs. This is billed as a fun event, but we do get many repeat champions returning that take this very seriously. This year, we had a very equal amount of H-D's and Sportbikes, with a few metrics thrown in (and a '87 EX500 as well!).

Though we have done this event since the beginning when it took place at the Santa Monica Museum of Aircraft, we had many "first time" events happen. We had several "cheaters" this time (well, that we actually caught...). Now normally, we allow "cheating" within the rules. To clarify, as long as you are entered into the right displacement class (for all motor), anything goes. This normally means you'll be using whatever fuel you like (except Nitro). If you have a turbo, supercharger, or nitrous, we have seperate classes for those (12 classes in all).

The first "cheater" entered into the open sportbike class had twin nitrous bottles located under the tank within the airbox. This is allowed, provided they are disabled.... The switch was activated prior to running the bike and apparently came on at a certain throttle setting. It was fairly easy to tell, since when the bike comes up on the power with nitrous activated, it feels more like a turbo. And of course the hp number of 260 was kinda a give-away as well... We shamed him in front of the crowd and re-entered him into the correct class.

The second "cheater" was actually a very old trick. Which of course being a little older myself, was reasonably easy to catch. The most interesting part of the "interrogation" was trying to give the entrant a chance to come clean before we riduculed him in front of the standing room only crowd. He didn't. So with extreme pleasure, we did. He was running a 1988 GSXR750 in the 750 Sportbike class. No problem. Other than the engine was a GSXR1100...... This was really a common mod to do in "the day". Even in roadracing this was a common mod. Unfortunetly I did not notice this until he brought the bike back up for the second day of the event. So for the first day, he was leading the class and everyone was amazed. A 20 year old sportbike leading the latest and greatest models. True until he was busted. When entered into the correct class of open sportbike, he of course slipped down to the bottom....

The most spectacular event took place during a record run in the Turbo Sportbike division. A big bore, well used Busa was laying down a 484.77 hp pass when the connecting rods blew through the front, and bottom of the cases. Oil, coolant, and huges amounts of shrapnel sprayed everywhere. Nobody got hurt. Crowd loved it. But what a mess. Spectacular, but a mess.... Took an hour to clean everything and everyone up. Some pieces of engine case even made its way down to the drum speed sensor and put us down for an hour trying to diagnose the problem. My number one son was able to finally figure it out by removing the sensor and noticing a hairline crack on the circuit board. Bob and Eric Bennett, from Bennett's Performance in Long Beach, one of the long time returning champions, ran back to his facility and loaned us his circuit board to get us going again. Big thanx to those guys. If you ever want a strong H-D motor built in the 100 - 250 hp range, these are your guys!

Anyway, total bummer on the blow up, but it happens when you are pushing the envelope and reaching for 500 hp ++ runs on turbo bikes. The interesting thing is that, according to their data logger, and our graph, they had another 1200 rpm to go prior the explosion. So it is very easy to assume the run would have exceeded 500 hp and may very well have broken our West Coast Dyno Shootout record of 545 hp set by John Noonan. The one thing I have always noted here at our events, is how the Turbo brotherhood supports each other. They help each other, root each other on, and help solve issues. Very supportive and cool to see. On the other hand, the open sportbike division can be ruthless. Smack talk all day long. I simply like to egg them on and state my usual at these events: "The dyno don't lie, and neither to I. So if you're done talking smack, let's show the crowd what cha really got".

Class winners and second place -

600cc Sportbike - Kelly Bryant (my baby) '07 R6 - 113.3 hp
2nd -Ed Keshishian - '07 GSXR600 - 103.3

750cc Sportbike - Art Haserjian - '05 GSXR750 - 121.87 hp
2nd - Dave Stinson - '05 GSXR750 - 120.27 hp

1000cc Sportbike - Kerry Bryant (your's truly) '04 ZX10 - 161.4 hp
2nd - Joe Filidor '06 ZX10 - 159.86

Open Sportbike - Thad Wiltz - '04 Busa - 227.52 hp
2nd - Darryl Wiltz - '01 Busa - 211.29 hp

Sportbike/Turbo/Nitrous - John Noonan - '03 Busa - 490.63 hp
2nd - John Cabral - 'Big Boy Busa - 484.77 hp

Sportster/Buell - Bennett's Performance '00 Special Const. S&S - 125.29 hp
2nd - Area P - '00 X1 Buell - 85.31 hp

V-Twin - 74 - 80" - Mark Mignella - '04 VRod - 101.27 hp (only entrant)

V-Twin - 81 - 88" - John Cabral - '08 VRod - 153.82 hp (only entrant)

V-Twin - 89 - 95" - Andrew Demotte - '06 FLHX - 103.69 hp
2nd - R. Normandin - '06 Electraglide - 99.53 hp

V-Twin - 96 - 113" - Patrick Racing - Twin Cam - 118.59 hp
2nd - Jodyz Pighog Shop - 109.94 hp

V-Twin - 114" plus - Bennett's Performance '96 Flats bike - 223.00 hp
2nd - Bennetts's Performance S&S Tribute Flats bike - 184.38 hp

V-Twin/Turbo/Nitrous - John Cabral - '99 FLH Bagger - 233.78 hp
2nd - John Cabral - '91 FXR - 215.96 hp

Ignore this member    Click here to visit K Bryant's homepage. 
zrxdean

Needs a job
posted July 16, 2008 03:31 PM        
Nice job, congrats Kerry. -Dean
  Ignore this member   
aliveagain

Needs a life
posted July 16, 2008 06:23 PM        
233hp bagger sounds like a fun ride to me although I would worry about the belt snapping.

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted July 16, 2008 06:26 PM        
cool!

Ignore this member    Click here to visit fish_antlers's homepage. 
bigdtd

Needs a job
Interceptors
posted July 16, 2008 06:53 PM        
crazy ponies out there
2006 Black ZX-14,6 inches over,16/42, flies out,BMC Street Filter,Brock's Street Meg,Brock's Radial Mount Strap,PClll with Race map,Dynojet LCD w/Techmount, ZX-14 fender eliminator,Pilot Power2CTs,Speedohealer,Pazzo Levers,Cox Radiator Guard, Garmin Nuvi 265WT

Ignore this member   
stevewfl

posted July 16, 2008 08:25 PM        
congrats kerry
CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
bawls

Needs a job
re-learning to ride
posted July 17, 2008 05:12 AM        
i wouldn't worry about the belt... they run belts on boss hoss's.

Brockland Police Badge # 001

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Bawls's homepage. 
k bryant

Needs a job
Sponsor
posted July 17, 2008 07:49 AM        
quote:
233hp bagger sounds like a fun ride to me although I would worry about the belt snapping.

I've been running both his Bagger and FXR at events for probably 8 years or so. When I look back on our records, he's been running 230 + hp for at least the last 8 years. Man thatz consistency ! Never seen or heard of a problem (the FXR is actually chain drive conversion). John loves to see guys roll up on him to "run". With his wife on the back, stereo blasting, he hands most posers their butts on roll-ons. I believe he indicated he's done 9's in the quarter on it. Cool bike and stone reliable.

k bryant

Needs a job
Sponsor
posted July 17, 2008 08:03 AM        Edited By: k bryant on 17 Jul 2008 09:04
quote:
i wouldn't worry about the belt... they run belts on boss hoss's.

One of these days I would love to run one. Especially one with the optional 502 HO motor. We even bought an extended carriage this year from Dynojet (up to 102") just in case one showed up. At an automotive tuning shop we work with when building race car headers (ss, ti and/or inconel), we've seen 890 hp at the rear wheels from some of these big blocks through custom mufflers in Sand Rails. Not sure how much may be lost through the drive train (and perhaps they may be on funny fuel or nitrous). We're actually looking at adding a car dyno in our facility since getting into the WRX & EVO crowd, as well as the high output V8/V10 speciality guys.

fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted July 18, 2008 07:31 AM        
nice.... the '04 is still strong, eh?

Ignore this member    Click here to visit fish_antlers's homepage. 
k bryant

Needs a job
Sponsor
posted July 18, 2008 08:20 AM        
quote:
nice.... the '04 is still strong, eh?

Wicked strong! Only have about 9800 miles on her. Trying to preserve her somewhat and ride all the other model/brands that are here. She's the only one that we are really attached to. Part of the family if you will.

All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > HAYABUSA-ZONE.com > Thread: S&S West Coast Dyno Shootout Results NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.2132670879364 seconds processing time