HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > HAYABUSA-ZONE.com > Thread: Tested: 2009 Harley-Davidson XR1200 NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Staff

Administrator
posted March 22, 2009 08:21 AM        Edited By: Staff on 22 Mar 2009 16:52
Tested: 2009 Harley-Davidson XR1200

Sportbike killer, a chick's Cruiser, or is it something else? After a month in the saddle, Bikeland's Gabe Ets-Hokin reports back on Harley Davidson's 2009 XR1200…

Small Man on a Big Bike

by Gabe Ets-Hokin

Even though I’m not a Harley Guy, I still remember the day Harley-Davidson introduced its newest Sportster model, the XR1200. This wasn’t the same old Sporty that’s been on the road since before Don Rickles stopped being funny. No, this was a different bike, one that looked as if it were designed to stop, turn and accelerate rather than be an affordable way to get your spouse on a Harley. Sleek new bodywork, inverted forks and radial tires…even an aluminum swingarm. It dripped with cool - a street-legal, factory-warrantied street-tracker that needed no excuses. At last, I thought, wiping a tear from the corner of my eye, I can ride American Iron and keep up in the twisties with 10-year-old sportbikes.

Only a non-Harley guy would get weepy over such a machine. After all, Sportsters get no respect from the H-D orthodox. For them, a Sportster is a chick bike, something you ride if you can’t afford a “real” Big Twin hog. And that’s a shame, because the latest version of the Sportster, introduced in 2003, is a good motorcycle. It’s got reliable, torquey power, decent handling and is much smoother than it used to be, thanks to a more-rigid frame that allows the paint-shaking 45-degree Evolution motor to vibrate in isolation mounts without transmitting too much buzz to the rider. But with bias-ply rubber, skinny forks, a mildly-tuned engine and soft brakes, it’s not exactly track-day material unless we’re talking about a pleasant ride to the dog-racing track.

The XR1200 changed all that. H-D decided it needed a more performance-oriented Sportster to take advantage of the European market. But European roads and traffic conditions demand good handling, strong brakes and enough power to get out of one’s own way. If you’re ever ridden an 883 or 1200 Sportster, you’d know that’s a tall order.

H-D’s engineers took it all in stride, revamping almost every component. The engine got some serious re-working: Buell Thunderstorm cams, hotter compression ratio (10.1:1 compared to 9.7:1), reworked exhaust and a new 50mm throttle body for the EFI and an oil cooler to handle the extra heat. Better-funded magazines have measured about 80 hp at the back wheel, compared to about 60 from a standard 1200 Sportster.

The frame looks the same, but it’s different too, with .3 percent less rake (29.3 compared to 29.6 degrees on the Sportster 1200 Low). A modern-looking and very light-looking swingarm holds a 17-inch, 3-spoke alloy wheel in its cast aluminum embrace, held up with dual preload-adjustable-only Showa shocks. The front end uses an inverted 43mm Showa fork with an 18-inch wheel. A pair of Nissan 4-piston calipers grab 292mm rotors. Tires are specially-developed Dunlop Qualifier radials, a 120/70-18 front and 180/55-17 rear. It’s a package good for road-burning, but not exactly a supermoto: wet weight is a claimed 580 pounds and wheelbase is a short-for-a-cruiser-but-long-for-everything-else 59.8 inches.

The styling’s modern, too, but despite the new-fangled, sporty look of the XR, it draws attention like a burning parade float. The bodywork is modern, yet conservative. The instruments, lights and controls carry on familiar H-D themes, like the 1-inch bar, small hooded headlamp and front turnsignals slung under the bar, but with modern styling and finishes to update the look. The instrumentation is compact but complete, with a tachometer, digital speedometer and even a digital clock. The package looks remarkably similar to the XR-1200 that Storz Performance developed as a kit to transform stock Sportsters into street-going XR-750 replicas. Not too surprising, given H-D purchased the right to use the name “XR1200” from Storz last year.

If you’re like me, you’ve zoned out on all that technical stuff and want me to STFU and tell you about riding the bike. It’s all about pleasant surprises, at least at first. The seating position is humane and rational, with a comfy (if small) seat, a natural reach to the handlebar and modern, rearset footrests. The bike doesn’t feel heavy when lifted off the sidestand, and was comfortable for a range of riders, from 5’4” to over six feet. The motor runs a little lean until it warms up, but the clutch and gearbox work lightly and smoothly. The levers are easily controlled even by small hands, despite their beefy, fat shape. Low-speed handling is as easy as a full-figured bike can offer. The only real complaint is from the way the motor shakes its mechanical booty at idle. That shake (mostly) goes away when the throttle is twisted, and is little noticed except for blurry mirrors and some vibes through the pegs and seat. But above idle that motor is very smooth and well-fueled, aided by a computer-controlled flapper in the airbox.

Where the XR shines is in its intended mission: aggressive riding on fast, crowded public byways. That’s where the long-ish wheelbase and slow-revving, torquey motor make the most sense. Find a gap in traffic, aim that stylistically shrouded headlight into the mix, roll on the throttle, and the bike responds in a satisfying way: no downshifting or worrying about upsetting the chassis. The brakes are strong but require a big squeeze to work, great for everyday riding. Fuel economy is okay if you don’t push it; H-D claims 50 mpg on the highway, but my mileage was mostly in the mid-30s. With the small 3.5-gallon tank, aggressive riding garnered no more than 128.5 miles before looking at my iPhone to find a gas station within pushing distance. Windblast gets a little tiring over 70 mph, but H-D has a page in its accessory catalog for the XR, with a windscreen and soft luggage options. Sorry, no chrome or conchos for this bad boy.

So it’s great fun and practical around town or as a commuter, but is the XR machine enough to teach them whippersnappers on their sportbikes a thing or two in the twisties? This depends on how brave and skilled you are and how lame your friends are. We all know it’s the man, not the bike, and there are plenty of riders who could soundly humiliate me on a Big Wheel. But if you clone me and pit me against myself on just about anything sportier, I will come in second place, panting and sweaty, every time.*

This is mainly because the XR is 100 pounds heavier than it needs to be, and no amount of high-tech componentry or tricky engineering can mask that pork. Sure, the claimed lean angle of 40 degrees (39 on the right side) is plenty for sporting street rides and the tires grip nicely, but the bike is still limited for really fast riding. Tight turns take effort and nerve, as you’d expect from something this big, and although faster bends let the chassis show off its planted feel, the heavy steering and relaxed feel of the bike tend to slow you down. The motor is revvy and willing, with a nice hit over 6000 rpm, but it’s overburdened with the XR’s mass. Same with the brakes; I don’t know if it’s the master cylinder’s leverage ratio, wimpy rubber brake lines, inefficient pad material, small-ish rotors or just the challenge of slowing 770 pounds of bike, leather and bulgy-eyed rider, but the brakes lack the sharp bite and precise feel a sportrider might want.

If you are mid-pack or slower in your riding group’s fast-guy pecking order, expect a jeering crowd of so-called friends waiting at the rest stop, cigarettes lit, helmets off and singing “Born to be Wild” at the tops of their stupid lungs.

But we sort of expected it to be a little heavier, a little slower, a little more old-fashioned than something from a Japanese or European factory, didn’t we? And that’s just fine, because a bike as satisfying as this needn’t be equipped to win races. It just has to be comfortable, durable, dependable, affordable and fun to ride. At $10,799 (for black; if you want Orange or Pewter Denim you’ll pay $300 more) it’s only $720 more than a 1200 Sportster Low—an absolute steal for a motorcycle with so much more performance, panache, history and charisma than its pedestrian stablemate.

*I am not advocating human cloning for the purposes of motorcycle comparison testing.

Roll Your Own XR1200

Some of us weren’t so excited about the XR1200 because we already had one. Years ago. San Leandro musician and sound technician Jeff Winfrey bought his 1999 Harley-Davidson 883 Custom new and proceeded to ride the hell out of it. On a two-up trip to the Grand Canyon, an exhaust valve burnt up, and it turns out it was covered by warranty. Jeff got his dealer to apply the warranty money to souping up the engine. They bored it out to 1200cc, installed Buell Thunderstorm heads, 10.0:1 pistons and Screaming Eagle cams. Now the motor was making over 83 hp on the dyno and 90 ft.-lbs. of torque, and that was before Jeff added a 41mm Mikuni carb and a custom Hooker header (mated to a generic Supertrapp muffler by a local muffler shop). The cost? About $600 out of pocket.

But something with power like this needs better running gear than a stock Sportster offers. Jeff ’s bike currently runs the adjustable, longer-travel suspension from the Sportster Sport (remember those?) with 4-piston brake calipers and semi-floating discs from a donor Street Rod. The rear wheel gets an 18-inch rim and a radial Bridgestone Battleax 160/60-18 tire. The front wheel is a H-D “Narrow Glide” item and is a 19-incher, with a 110/80-19 Conti Road Attack radial: Bridgestone doesn’t make a matching front. Storz rearsets and a sidestand modification add cornering clearance, and combined with hard-to-find 1-inch clubman bars and a Hotwings flat-track tail section, give the bike a most non-Sportster-y riding position. A forkbrace and steering damper keep things under control.

I took the bike for a brief ride, and it was fun, but not the sanitized, friendly experience the XR1200 is. That huge front hoop makes the steering feel like it flops into turns and the buzzing and shaking from the solidly-mounted motor will seem alien to those upstarts who ride modern (post-Nixon) bikes.

“You get used to it,” said Jeff. I looked for signs of nervous-system damage in his facial expressions and body language, but could find none. Then again, I’m not a trained neuroscientist.

Judging by tire wear, Jeff rides the bike hard, and why not? Sportsters were derived from competition machinery, even if the competition was in the Middle Ages. It’s a reliable machine (Jeff’s breathed-on motor has 50,000 miles on it), the original all-American musclebike that rewards good riders and better mechanics.

Take it from Jeff: “For a working stiff like me who wants something simple to work on and fun to ride, it’s great.”

Steve Storz Weighs in on the XR1200

As mentioned in the story, Harley-Davidson bought the right to use the name “XR1200” from Steve Storz. But what does this former H-D racing mechanic and dirt-track parts supplier think of what was wrought with his name?

“I do like it,” said Storz, when I asked if he liked the new bike. “I just don’t understand why it has to weigh 580 pounds.” This is a predictable response, given his modified Sportster, based on a similar motor and frame, weighs in at 474 pounds, according to a Motorcyclist article. “The rear wheel, tire, pulley and disc weigh 43 pounds, but the swingarm weighs almost nothing; it's a bitchin’ part,” said Steve. “I guess the guy that designed it didn't design the wheels...if you start with a clean sheet of paper, why does it weigh so much?”

I’d say the reason has much to do with price: Steve’s bike is festooned with about $14,000 of hand-crafted deliciousness, where the Motor Company’s ride doesn’t cost much more than a garden-variety Sportster. But Steve is all ready to lighten the XR1200’s load, if you don’t mind lightening your wallet. New parts from Storz include a BUB exhaust system (that saves 15 pounds over stock and adds “big gains” in midrange and top-end power with FI mapping), billet footpegs, a solo tail section, ride-height adjustable YSS shocks and 320mm full-floating front brake rotors. Storz is developing more stuff, like a rear-brake kit, steel-braided brake lines and possibly, a wire-wheel kit that could go a long way towards slicing enough pounds off the XR1200 to make it a really memorable ride; Storz told me the rear wheel, disc and pulley weighed in at over 45 pounds.

You can see the new parts at storzperf.com or call Storz Performance at (805) 641-9540.

Source: Bikeland.org
Story: Gabe Ets-Hokin
Photos: Bob Stokstad

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Staff's homepage. 
Douglas Home

Zone Head
posted March 22, 2009 10:30 AM        
tested harley davidson xr 1200

Thanks but no thanks , not having a mid life crisis / can still raise it / dont need to impress schoolgirls and have an IQ in double figures !!! But on the good side at least we can beat them at the track. Respect from Doug Mackay Australia .

Ignore this member   
worm~hole

Needs a life
Miles to go before I sleep....
posted March 22, 2009 10:58 AM        
....needs black wire wheels, a lighter high exhaust, more fuel capacity, and a more elegantly shaped seat/tail section for solo riding...other than these mods, I think its a nice bike for what it is: a different kind of short- hop commuter with some attitude thrown in...I hope HD sells a bunch of them...

-George Orwell

Ignore this member   
SteveWFL

posted March 22, 2009 11:37 AM        
"Sportbike killer": uhm no.

"a chick's": the chicks I know that ride their own on track or street would be offended by such a suggestion

or is it something else? <---yes lol

CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
Ninja14

Pro
posted March 22, 2009 01:17 PM        
I'm not underdstanding who they are trying to sell it to.

"Bikers" will laugh and "cyclist" will laugh harder...........

Ignore this member   
Shane661

Needs a life
posted March 22, 2009 01:24 PM        
Not heavy enough, imo.
  Ignore this member   
Flame On

Needs a life
Fuel Air & Spark
posted March 22, 2009 01:25 PM        
I seen 1 at a HD / buell dealer the price wasn't bad for HD around 12,500 the riding position wasn't bad with a lot of peg clearance for cornering. I believe they are a limited bike

Ignore this member   
gilberjj

Needs a job
Friend of Fast
posted March 22, 2009 02:42 PM        
It's the cruiser I would get...
  Ignore this member   
Fifty Thousand

Expert Class
Lovin My Family.
posted March 22, 2009 02:58 PM        
LOL its got the same performance numbers as Mid-late 70's Jap Bikes........ its 30-35 years too late....

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted March 22, 2009 04:58 PM        Edited By: fish_antlers on 23 Mar 2009 01:01
quote:
At last, I thought, wiping a tear from the corner of my eye, I can ride American Iron and keep up in the twisties with 10-year-old sportbikes.

quote:
If you are mid-pack or slower in your riding group’s fast-guy pecking order, expect a jeering crowd of so-called friends waiting at the rest stop, cigarettes lit, helmets off and singing “Born to be Wild” at the tops of their stupid lungs.

LOL!

Ignore this member    Click here to visit fish_antlers's homepage. 
TedG

posted March 22, 2009 06:06 PM        
quote:
I'm not underdstanding who they are trying to sell it to.

"Bikers" will laugh and "cyclist" will laugh harder...........

But people will still buy it because it says harley on the tank. One has to remember that harley types live in their own little world and wont and don't want to know about anything outside of it.
Green 2005 ZX10R
2009 Concours Black ABS

Ignore this member   
TedG

posted March 22, 2009 06:12 PM        
And as to the title "Tested: 2009 Harley-Davidson XR1200" my question is.... Why?
Green 2005 ZX10R
2009 Concours Black ABS

Ignore this member   
INTIMIDA2OR

Needs a life
RED rider!
posted March 22, 2009 06:36 PM        
It's still a Hardley Ableson ...

*Lee*

Ignore this member   
worm~hole

Needs a life
posted March 22, 2009 07:59 PM        
...haters...

-George Orwell

Ignore this member   
TedG

posted March 22, 2009 08:30 PM        
quote:
...haters...

You have no idea how much.
Green 2005 ZX10R
2009 Concours Black ABS

Ignore this member   
Ninja14

Pro
posted March 23, 2009 07:32 AM        
I hate that they suck.....that they never tried to compete....that they FORCED us to buy outside of the US.

How I would LOVE to ride a red, white and blue sportsbike..........

Ignore this member   
SteveWFL

posted March 23, 2009 08:10 AM        
I would've never suspected resources would be used critiquing such a bike as this
CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
K Bryant

Needs a job
Sponsor
posted March 23, 2009 08:27 AM        Edited By: K Bryant on 23 Mar 2009 16:27
For those of us heavily involved in dirt track racing and the XR750's, this would be a very cool bike to own. And I would love to add one to the stable. Steve Stortz has made an excellent living out of his "XR" kits for Sportsters prior to H-D working out the deal with him on the name. And as he says, it just needs a serious diet. I cannot believe it weighed in so high....

The Stortz modified versions are extremely capable of keeping up with most modern sportbikes in the tighter twisties. I have a few friends with lesser modified versions of "Sportsters" that embarass a whole lot of sportbike guys. I rode a more modified version that put out 95 hp, and 93 tq that was absolutely incrediable in the hills. On certain roads, I'm not sure many or any other bikes would go much faster. Bikes with high bars and lots of low rpm torque are a blast to ride.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit K Bryant's homepage. 
SteveWFL

posted March 23, 2009 09:37 AM        Edited By: SteveWFL on 23 Mar 2009 17:38
My interest was up. I found a motorcycle mag's article when comparing to a 1100 CC Duc open bike in this Harley's class and went straight to the "conclusion":

By Pete Brissette and Kevin Duke, Feb. 06, 2009, Photography by Alfonse Palaima, Video by Alfonse Palaima

Americans and Italians speak different languages, and this carries over to the design languages of motorcycle manufacturers. Ducati’s rich sporting heritage is evident in the Monster 1100’s more exuberant personality. Its lighter weight, shorter wheelbase and revvier motor give it an edge in strict performance terms.

On the other hand, Harley’s XR1200 brings a fresh take on the naked roadster. Its success lies in the fact that it attracts sport riders and Harley faithful in equal measures. Its dirt-track inspiration resonates with a huge cross-section of two-wheel enthusiasts, and this broadband appeal and friendly nature places the XR in an enviable position during normal city/commuter use. It’s also about $1200 less than the swanky Italian.

Still, although it’s the highest-performance H-D ever offered for mass consumption (sorry, the ill-fated and semi-street-legal VR1000 doesn’t count), the XR1200’s rangier wheelbase and extra poundage means that – given equal riders – the XR can’t hang with the more agile and lively Monster down a twisty mountain road.

Some say potato-potato; some say patata.

http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/ducati-monster-1100-vs-harleydavidson-xr1200-review-87928.html

CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
Flame On

Needs a life
Fuel Air & Spark
posted March 23, 2009 10:34 AM        
The sport bike industry would be almost imposable for the USA to compete with . I think it might do OK if HD could make it for less . Its to bad most of us have HD hung before given a chance .

Ignore this member   
worm~hole

Needs a life
posted March 23, 2009 11:12 AM        
quote:
The sport bike industry would be almost imposable for the USA to compete with . I think it might do OK if HD could make it for less . Its to bad most of us have HD hung before given a chance .

...EriK Buell would disagree...I'm going to go ahead and guess that an experienced savvy rider on an 1125R, 1125CR, or any of the XB platforms will smoke a wannabe racer on a capable Japanese sportbike on the local twisty road or technical track...straightline prowess?....where's the challenge in that? with apologies to our drag-racing enthusiasts, there are more appropriate bikes for 1/8 and1/4-mile sorties...in the end it always seem to come down to the the rider and how a particular bike moves the rider's heart and soul, yes?

-George Orwell

Ignore this member   
SteveWFL

posted March 23, 2009 11:15 AM        
worm, did you an experienced rider on the buell against a wannabee on a Jap bike?

Thats not much of a comparison.

The same rider on BOTH type bikes stock from the factory, the jap bike will slaughter and embarrass the buell regarding lap times. C'mon man, this isn't a secret. There's a reason buell can't sell bikes
CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
worm~hole

Needs a life
posted March 23, 2009 11:17 AM        
quote:
quote:
...haters...

You have no idea how much.

...oh I do

-George Orwell

Ignore this member   
worm~hole

Needs a life
posted March 23, 2009 11:59 AM        Edited By: worm~hole on 23 Mar 2009 20:00
quote:
worm, did you an experienced rider on the buell against a wannabee on a Jap bike?

Thats not much of a comparison.

The same rider on BOTH type bikes stock from the factory, the jap bike will slaughter and embarrass the buell regarding lap times. C'mon man, this isn't a secret. There's a reason buell can't sell bikes

...I think Buell's problem is marketing, not technology...and I still think that if you put experienced riders like TedG or kb or Dino or any notable paid racer on an XB, they'll better some newbie or a moto-enthusiast on a 600~1000cc inline-4 on the track or local twisties....put two pros on the same bikes and the results will be obvious...but think about this: the majority of bikes sales are the results of enthusiasts wanting something to ride that strikes their fancy...and only the relative select few of this enthusiast base are actual racers that the majority wish they could match in talent...the Doctor railing on his Yamaha doesn't mean all enthusiasts can or should be able do the same...

...sure the in-line 4s will have an advantage on high-speed tracks that favor top-end performance on the straights, but most consumer's experience will be on the street, not on the track...and most will never be as good as these three or any paid roadracer on the street, never mind the track...I think for most street riders its ego vs capability

-George Orwell

Ignore this member   
SteveWFL

posted March 23, 2009 12:14 PM        Edited By: SteveWFL on 23 Mar 2009 20:15
I dunno, when groups of us knee drag the Cheroholla Skyway which consists of long sweepers, or the Tail of the Dragon which is a lot of tight switchbacks, the buells don't perform like the rest with decent riders.

And of course we see them at track days.

Personally I like the bikes, especially the last couple of years but we'd be fantasizing to say they perform anywhere close to duc twins or jap inline bikes.
CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 5 pages long: 1  2  3  4  5     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > HAYABUSA-ZONE.com > Thread: Tested: 2009 Harley-Davidson XR1200 NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.36815094947815 seconds processing time