Yamaha R1 / YZF-R1
  HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > R1-ZONE.com > Thread: Arai Releases All New Corsair-V for 2009! NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Staff

Administrator
posted September 16, 2008 06:27 PM        Edited By: frEEk on 17 Sep 2008 21:42
Arai Releases All New Corsair-V for 2009!

In perhaps one of the most awaited new-helmet introductions in years, Arai has announced the successor to its flagship RX-7 Corsair: the Corsair-V. (The company has retired the RX-7 prefix for the new model.)

Arai chose the first-ever Indianapolis MotoGP event to introduce its new baby on Friday, September 12th. Representatives said the Indy GP was selected both because of its significance and because all of the American MotoGP racers wear Arai helmets and the new Corsair-V.

The new model showcases a laundry-list of new and newly-redesigned features, several of which are patented. But what’s most immediately noticeable is the new Corsair-V’s visual similarity to its predecessor. The company says this is because Arai has always favored a more evolutionary approach to helmets, never believing in change for the sake of change or for marketing ‘shock’ value. Quoting president Michio "Mitch" Arai on the subject: "The job of a motorcycle helmet has not changed. So if a design does not help to make a helmet better at doing this job, protecting the rider and giving the rider better fit and comfort, we do not do it. Arai is in the helmet business, not the ‘fad’ or ‘fashion’ business."

Breaking down the new Corsair-V’s features for the Shell, Ventilation, and Interior...

THE SHELL:

Peripheral Belting (New)
This belt, devised by Arai for its most-recent generation of Formula-1 helmets, extends across the forehead area of the shell above the eye opening. It further enhances the Corsair-V’s structural integrity while still maintaining flexibility, low weight, and shell size. Like its predecessor, the new Corsair-V has Arai’s most-advanced SNC (Structural Net Composite) shell construction.

Wider Eyeport (New)
Here is a real-world example of Arai’s philosophy of interrelated parts (mentioned above). The forehead-shell strengthening of the Peripheral Belt has allowed Arai to introduce a new 10mm-wider eyeport opening (5mm at each side) on the new Corsair-V, thereby further enhancing the rider’s peripheral vision. The fact that this new feature will be most beneficial to racers, the eyeport also underscores the fact that Arai is, at heart, still a "racing" company whose advancements aid all riders.

Series “I" Faceshield (New)
The new wider eyeport required a new, wider faceshield. Called the Series "I" faceshield, it is exclusive to the Corsair-V. The new shield fits even more flush against the shell than the previous Corsair’s. So flush, in fact, that Arai says "It almost looks like a continuation of the shell" and requires two small sliders just in front of the side-pods to keep the shield from contacting the helmet’s upper shell when raised.

AirWing® (New, Patented)
Arai’s exclusive, adjustable new AirWing® is designed to greatly reduce drag, turbulence and buffeting. It provides the rider with unprecedented aerodynamic performance options via five distinct, easily hand-adjustable “attack angles":
1.At race speeds, or a full-tuck position, run the AirWing® in a lower position;
2.Riding Sport or Standard-style bikes, run the AirWing® in one of the middle positions;
3.In an upright riding position, it works best at one of the upper angles.

Outward-Flaring Hyper-Ridge (New design)
The biggest difference between the newest generation of Arai’s Hyper-Ridge feature and its predecessors sticks right out at you: Whereas the previous ridge curved in, this one flares out. This results in a larger opening at the helmet’s bottom, making the helmet easier to get on and off. The company hopes this new outward flare will aid more riders in “choosing the right-size helmet because it’s easier to get on than inward-curving shell bottoms." The Hyper-Ridge reinforcement band circles the bottom of the shell, adding shell strength. This added strength at the bottom of the shell is also said to help in “significantly lowering the helmet’s center of gravity," contributing to a better overall balance and making the helmet rest easier on the rider’s head.

Arai’s Compact Organic Shell Shape (Retained feature)
The new Corsair-V’s shell shape is even more compact and aerodynamic than the Corsair’s.

VENTILATION:

DF-10 Diffuser (New)
The new generation of Arai diffuser has enhanced air inlets to increase airflow efficiency even better than the original Corsair. It also adds a new second air-intake slot in the middle of the diffuser body to create a higher venturi effect and further increase the venting of stale air faster.
New larger upper vent toggles make operating the vents, even with thick gloves, easier than before. Additionally, the center Top Vent has been re-sculpted to provide more air intake; it too has a larger easier-to-operate toggle.

Side-Vent Exhaust Ports (New design)
These newly-designed vent cowls exhaust heat more efficiently. And because of the way they are now “sculpted" into the new rear-shell shape, they have also been shown in Arai’s extensive testing to work in concert with the AirWing® to greatly add lateral stability at speed. (Arai test riders have reported this benefit is most noticeable on the track when popping back up into the airflow under braking.)

New Brow-Vent Channeling (Modified design)
Arai’s distinctive faceshield Brow Vents now send incoming air to the temple instead of to the face. The new channeling directs air to the ear area missed by many helmet ventilation systems. The airflow over the temple artery reportedly also helps cool the blood flow to the brain area.

THE INTERIOR:

Emergency Cheekpad Release System (New)
In answer to the literally thousands of rider inquiries asking whether this groundbreaking Arai safety innovation introduced in Arai’s VX-Pro3 dirt helmet would ever been incorporated into a street helmet, the answer is now “Yes." Arai’s Emergency-Release Cheek Pad System was specifically developed to allow easier access to an injured rider. The cheekpads are designed to slide out easily with the use of integrated pull-tabs, which makes removing the helmet much easier for trained medical technicians. This feature also underscores what Arai thinks is a meaningful “advancement” in helmet design. As Mr. Arai said, “We are in the helmet business, not the fashion business."

Removable/Replaceable Vented Neckroll (New)
The Corsair-V’s neckroll is now removable and replaceable, and adds an additional exhaust vent through its bottom via shallow channels in the EPS liner, adding yet another ventilation outlet for the removal of interior air.

Latest-Generation Dry-Cool® Liner (New design)
Distinguished by its silver-grey color, Arai’s Dry-Cool® liner has repositioned the rear mounting-snaps closer to the liner bottom for a more secure fit, making it exclusive to the Corsair-V.

Source: Arai Americas

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Staff's homepage. 
DrewHerc130

Expert Class
posted September 16, 2008 10:52 PM        
MSRP?

Ignore this member   
hyper12r

Expert Class
posted September 17, 2008 02:46 AM        

Ignore this member   
madboost

Expert Class
posted September 17, 2008 06:24 AM        
good god that is one ugly looking 700 dollar helmet

Ignore this member   
SteveWFL

posted September 17, 2008 06:33 AM        
did they address noise, I didn't see anything about it when I skimmed the article. Both my arai and shoei are loud regarding wind noise
CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
Hells Dark Lord

Needs a life
living life, and loving it.
posted September 17, 2008 07:54 AM        
i love my arai RX7 Corsair.....and its freaking louddddd....but comf

Ignore this member   
Ninja_Knight

Zone Head
posted September 17, 2008 12:51 PM        
quote:
did they address noise, I didn't see anything about it when I skimmed the article. Both my arai and shoei are loud regarding wind noise
Which Shoei do you have Steve? I have a Shoei RF-900 and it is pretty quiet. I am also considering getting a Shoei X-Eleven and use my 900 for my passengers.
2009 B&O Special Edition, Brock's CF Gen 3 Exhaust, Dark Smoke ZG Double Bubble Windshield, PCIII, Muzzy Fan, Heli Risers, Throttlemeister Heavy, Nautilus Stebel Horn, Waiting on HID's and Tinted Signal Lens

Ignore this member   
butta4hc

Expert Class
posted September 17, 2008 02:05 PM        
quote:
good god that is one ugly looking 700 dollar helmet

Your head could be uglier if you go down with inferior helmets, lol.

ARAI LOVER HERE!!!
2006 Black ZX-14 - Recall Frame Swap, Full Muzzy GP Exhaust, PCIII, BMC Race Filter, Flies Out, Braided Front Brake & Cutch Lines, Muzzy's Radiator Fan, Engine Ice Coolant, Frame Sliders, SubFrame Sliders, Puig Dark Smoke Windscreen, Powerbronze Hugger, Cox Radiator Guard, Unswitched Powerlet Outlet under seat, Switched Powerlet Outlet On Right Duct Panel, Intergrated Tail Light, HID lights high and low beam, Blue corner marker lights, Eclipse License Plate Blackout Kit, Black Pazzo Levers, Scorpio Alarm, Lojack Theft Recovery System, Rapid Transit Triple Tree Bag, Cortech Tank, Tail & Saddle Bags and the bragging rights for being "The Fastest 14 In The Country" for a few weeks when the 14 made it's debut here in the states.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit butta4hc's homepage. 
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted September 17, 2008 03:16 PM        
quote:
i love my arai RX7 Corsair.....and its freaking louddddd....but comf

shouldnt be loud... you sure it fits correctly? arai's quietest helmet I've ever owned.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit fish_antlers's homepage. 
SteveWFL

posted September 17, 2008 03:38 PM        
I have the arai corsair and shoei RF1000 and they are both LOUD. Helmet size is large, I can't get my big head in a smaller model

I've been waiting for a manufacturer to boast "noise reduced...blah blah blah" and I'll be pulling the trigger on a new helmet
CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
deathpulse

Pro
posted September 17, 2008 05:24 PM        
Anyone notice that it has a spoiler in the rear? Kinda like a boy racer car! I wonder if that makes it go faster....
  Ignore this member   
Ninja_Knight

Zone Head
posted September 17, 2008 06:17 PM        
Maybe you have an oblong shaped head and it doesn't fit quite right? I wear XXL and mine is pretty silent, even with the visor cracked. I love Shoei's!
2009 B&O Special Edition, Brock's CF Gen 3 Exhaust, Dark Smoke ZG Double Bubble Windshield, PCIII, Muzzy Fan, Heli Risers, Throttlemeister Heavy, Nautilus Stebel Horn, Waiting on HID's and Tinted Signal Lens

Ignore this member   
diverig

Expert Class
posted September 17, 2008 06:18 PM        
I like my ICON nice fit quiet and not 700.00 .
  Ignore this member   
Gunner

Needs a life
posted September 17, 2008 08:33 PM        
quote:
I like my ICON nice fit quiet and not 700.00 .

Also NOT an ARAI

Ignore this member   
dubious

Needs a life
Needs more time to ride!
posted September 17, 2008 08:50 PM        
too late for a helmet to help you anyway....LOL

How many times have we seen guys go down on their heads, or drop their helmet in the parking lot, and continue to wear their $700 damaged poser headgear for years later?
They really aren't that much more expensive to produce, but ppl shure pay allot for the gay paint jobs...

I really prefer a midline helmet that can afford to be replaced more often... I haven't dropped my helmet or layed a street bike down in many years.
I just like a helmet with fresh padding, and a good fit.
They all have padding that breaks down, and the fit becomes poor, leading to excessive noise and less protection.

HJC for me! Dirt or street, they are Snell and Dot approved...and 1/2 the price.
I have nobody to impress but me.

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted September 17, 2008 08:54 PM        Edited By: fish_antlers on 18 Sep 2008 04:54
interesting comments... I've only ever worn Arai for the last 15 years... I've spent a lot of my hard earned money buying their helmets and I simply wouldn't trust anything else... It's never been an issue of cost (though I have bought solid colors for the most part to keep my own costs down) - it's been a matter of safety and quality of construction. In fact I can pick up any Quantum II XL and put it on my head and it fits perfectly.

that's just me.

woppi

Pro
posted September 17, 2008 11:29 PM        
#

--------------- ARAI ----------------

woppi

Ignore this member   
lietoome

Needs a job
posted September 18, 2008 12:45 AM        
I used to be an HJC advocate, then I got a great deal on a Shoei RF-1000. The difference to me is night and day. I considered another HJC when I bought the 14---I tried on 4 different HJCs at the dealership---all of them had some type of quality issue. Even the two HJCs I had before the shoei had PITA Visor installs and the damn mechanics always broke on them.

I'd like to try an Arai, but I'm gonna try something that my dealer keeps in stock...Shoei X-11. Gotta try it on before I spend that kind of money.

Ignore this member   
slates

Expert Class
posted September 18, 2008 05:06 AM        
I've tried on a lot of different helmets over the years, and nothing is as comfortable as the Arai Corsair or the Shoei X-11. They are loud, because they are designed for racing and airflow through the helmet. If I do long rides with my Arai, especially highway, I'll wear some foam ear plugs.

Some dealers will offer specials on these helmets, but they won't advertise the sale price due to contractual stipulations. I got a great deal on my RX-7 Haga that was manufactured in 2008 - $500. PM me if you want the vendor name. I know they have discounted RX-7s now, but maybe not as good of a deal they were offering earlier this year.

Ignore this member   
bigdtd

Needs a job
Interceptors
posted September 18, 2008 06:06 AM        
quote:

hey thats my helmet!, guess i will have to struggle along with the old rx-7, darn it
2006 Black ZX-14,6 inches over,16/42, flies out,BMC Street Filter,Brock's Street Meg,Brock's Radial Mount Strap,PClll with Race map,Dynojet LCD w/Techmount, ZX-14 fender eliminator,Pilot Power2CTs,Speedohealer,Pazzo Levers,Cox Radiator Guard, Garmin Nuvi 265WT

Ignore this member   
eklipse636

Needs a life
ZX-14
posted September 18, 2008 07:41 AM        
i have a arai astral and i absoutely love it! wouldnt buy anything but a arai!

Ignore this member   
madboost

Expert Class
posted September 18, 2008 08:43 AM        
quote:
I have the arai corsair and shoei RF1000 and they are both LOUD. Helmet size is large, I can't get my big head in a smaller model

I've been waiting for a manufacturer to boast "noise reduced...blah blah blah" and I'll be pulling the trigger on a new helmet

yeah thats the problem arai corsair and rf1000 are on the same level but the price difference is in favor of shoei, now try x11, it simply blows arai away, especially how much air flow it gets over the rf1000 and corsair, i've ridden in all 3 and i was amazed how good the x11 is.

Ignore this member   
madboost

Expert Class
posted September 18, 2008 08:45 AM        
quote:
too late for a helmet to help you anyway....LOL

How many times have we seen guys go down on their heads, or drop their helmet in the parking lot, and continue to wear their $700 damaged poser headgear for years later?
They really aren't that much more expensive to produce, but ppl shure pay allot for the gay paint jobs...

I really prefer a midline helmet that can afford to be replaced more often... I haven't dropped my helmet or layed a street bike down in many years.
I just like a helmet with fresh padding, and a good fit.
They all have padding that breaks down, and the fit becomes poor, leading to excessive noise and less protection.

HJC for me! Dirt or street, they are Snell and Dot approved...and 1/2 the price.
I have nobody to impress but me.

well i'm glad you think paint jobs on helmets are gay, i happen to think its a work of art(exactly what it is), different strockes for different folks.

Ignore this member   
madboost

Expert Class
posted September 18, 2008 08:46 AM        
quote:
i have a arai astral and i absoutely love it! wouldnt buy anything but a arai!

let me ask you this question though what have you tried? I would ware both arai and shoei and as a matter of fact im having a custom paint job layed out on AGV Stealth helmet, havent tried that one yet but thats mostly for wearing it at the track.

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted September 18, 2008 08:55 AM        
i'd be curious to know how many users here of cheap 1/2 price chinese helmets have had serious head trauma crashes with them... personally I won't roll the dice on this....pardon the pun, but it's a no-brainer for me to spend the few extra bucks on an arai..

All times are America/Va [ This thread is 5 pages long: 1  2  3  4  5     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > R1-ZONE.com > Thread: Arai Releases All New Corsair-V for 2009! NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.217689037323 seconds processing time