Concourse 14 / GTR1400
  HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > CONCOURS14.com > Thread: Ride Report: Day 1 - Concours 14 on the Highway NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted June 25, 2007 12:02 PM        Edited By: fish_antlers on 26 Jun 2007 19:16
Ride Report: Day 1 - Concours 14 on the Highway

Wonderful day on the Connie...

Took note of a few things that members asked about...

First off, the bike is gutless below 4500 rpm. It might as well be a 600 in the basement, that's just my take on it.. Above 4K and it starts to come alive, and really wakes up above 7K.

On the highway for overtaking at 70mph you need to be in 4th gear or lower to get the tach into the beginning of the power. If you roll on at this speed in 5th or 6th it's like driving a Tercel.

Instant MPG readings from the trip computer spit out 29-30mpg when flogging it and 60-80 mpg when cracked on the throttle at 70mph in 5th or 6th (drone)...

Trip computer average is telling me 39 mpg for this tank... A mixture of spirited riding and some highway droning.

The tank mounted glovebox thing is a blessing and also irritating. It's a little flimsy and you need to make sure you positively engage both sides of the latching mechanism, or it will look closed, but actually be only 1/2 closed.

My big fat hands can barely fit inside the compartment... it kinda fits my Kramer wallet (hope that makes sense), a small camera and my keys/phone - but it doesnt do this easily... rearrange and then rearrange some more.. became a pain in the ass to pull out the camera because of the shape of this compartment, and I ended up breaking a cardinal rule of mine and putting it in my pocket. Was simply too irritating to keep trying to fit it all back in there.

The paint is finished nicely and quite hard, and it's a good thing cuz I can't stop grazing the saddle bags with my boot, no matter how hard I try... and I'm pretty tall.

That's all for now! Gotta keep putting miles on the Concours 14 !

Ignore this member    Click here to visit fish_antlers's homepage. 
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted June 25, 2007 12:31 PM        

fastestbusaaround

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted June 25, 2007 12:51 PM        
I assume that there are secondary flies in it...they have to go. If it's gutless below 4K, why the fuck is KAW saying it has big power down low? The other bike in that class is a fucking wheelie monster from 2k up (FJR). Outpulls a flyless 14 at those engine speeds...did Kaw fuck us again?

Ignore this member    Click here to visit FastestBusaAround's homepage. 
worm~hole

Needs a life
Miles to go before I sleep....
posted June 25, 2007 03:33 PM        
...have you tried any ABS stops?...the more I look at the pics, the more I wonder what they were thinking when they finalized the exhaust pipe for production
  Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted June 25, 2007 03:34 PM        
yes, I have (guess you didn't read the review)... and the pipe looks pretty sharp in person

worm~hole

Needs a life
posted June 25, 2007 03:39 PM        
...nah...sometimes I gloss over the posts like some people I know...so you're saying that you actually like that single pipe and wouldn't change it out if something else became available?
  Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted June 25, 2007 03:49 PM        
nope... it's fine the way it is.. the engine needs some serious uncorking though. That's another issue altogether.

KrYPt0

Parking Attendant
posted June 25, 2007 04:48 PM        
You mention being tall, how tall? I'm 6'5" (36" inseam) and am worried about hitting the end of the knee cutouts in the fairing...

Thx

Ignore this member   
worm~hole

Needs a life
posted June 25, 2007 05:40 PM        
quote:
nope... it's fine the way it is.. the engine needs some serious uncorking though. That's another issue altogether.

...and how would a C14 owner uncork the engine for better performance?

Ignore this member   
ozzy

Needs a job
need guberment cheese
posted June 25, 2007 10:22 PM        
Thanks for the honesty fish, the FJR is looking better to me all the time :-(

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted June 25, 2007 10:36 PM        
quote:
quote:

I don;t have this answer yet, and to be honest - that answer would be found by the owners once they've had a chance to put collective miles and brainpower together...

also remember it weighs considerably more than a ZX-14.

Don't get me wrong... the bike has power above 4K, and lots of it...

re: size I'm 6' 3.5" - 230lbs

princesskiwi

Administrator
MISTRESS of SMACK
posted June 26, 2007 12:37 AM        
quote:

2003 FJR 1300 review...
http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=248384&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=1

2006/2007 FJR new body style...
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelhome/180/home.aspx

Ignore this member   
tundra tom

Novice Class
posted June 26, 2007 01:07 AM        
quote:

I too was seriously looking at the FJR. After riding one for a weekend (about 250+ miles)
I liked it save for one troubling glitch, the vibration at highway speeds, especially in the bars.
Can't have that in a touring machine. After digging into it I found the counter balancer is not driven off the crank (?). That and a sixth gear would have helped too. That being said I'm hyper sensative to vibes so maybe it's just me.

Ignore this member   
famous1

Expert Class
posted June 26, 2007 03:28 AM        
quote:
quote:

a large majority probably won't..... but lose the cat and the flies and she'll probably perk up quite a bit down low...... do you really want that in adverse conditions, 2 up, fully loaded?

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted June 26, 2007 04:40 AM        
quote:
a large majority probably won't.....

I 100% agree, and I think FBA is totally out of line suggesting Kawasaki "fucked" anyone. This is a touring bike, not a drag racing machine. If you want that kind of performance you should buy a ZX-14. The power delivery and the mannerisms of this bike are very well suited to its purpose

worm~hole

Needs a life
posted June 26, 2007 05:12 AM        
...touring machines, especially loaded 2-up and with luggage should be able to roll-on decently at speed without too much down shifting of the gear lever...please let us know how it does that...no wonder the GoldWings are so popular and are tops at this, or so I've read...if only they were lighter...a lighter GoldWing with reverse....a bagged Valkerie with a smaller fairing and reverse....and an optional top case...anyway, this is a C14 forum, but food for thought

...please load the bags as if you're going on an extended tour...that'll help us potential owners understand the bike better...

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted June 26, 2007 05:17 AM        
Concours has no problem with this! Havent had a chance to do a top speed run, but judging by how tall 5th and 6th are... should be pretty fast!

worm~hole

Needs a life
posted June 26, 2007 10:12 AM        Edited By: worm~hole on 26 Jun 2007 17:13
...a used low-mileage and depreciated fully optioned 2007 BMWR1200 looks good, too ...not for top speed, mind you, but for its lighter weighted functionality and even asthetics...I wouldn't speed all that much when I'm touring anyway...

...hell, I was recently offered by a pal first dibs on a 11-mile 2005 ZG1000 with family pricing ...he bought it almost two years ago and never rode it...attached a battery tender to it and started it up a few times...now he has an '07 HD Softtail Springer and wants to make room in his garage...I have to weigh this purchase and another purchase from a fellow member...one will be faster that the other for sure ...I could buy the ZG for the price he's offering and turn around and sell at a decent profit to offset the purchase of another bike...the C14 is still in the hunt, but I'd like to read more feedback form the real world

Ignore this member   
Tundra Tom

Novice Class
posted June 26, 2007 08:22 PM        Edited By: Tundra Tom on 27 Jun 2007 03:25
"First off, the bike is gutless below 4500 rpm. It might as well be a 600 in the basement, that's just my take on it.. Above 4K and it starts to come alive, and really wakes up above 7K.

On the highway for overtaking at 70mph you need to be in 4th gear or lower to get the tach into the beginning of the power. If you roll on at this speed in 5th or 6th it's like driving a Tercel. "

This is the one fault of the ZX-14 that the VVT system was too alleviate. Adjusting the valve timing to get more bottom end power while allowing a strong top end rush.
Coming off a Bandit 1200S and now a SV-1000S I'm used to lots of low end torque.
Maybe I should buy the new Bandit 1250. :O

Ignore this member   
fastestbusaaround

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted June 27, 2007 03:01 AM        
quote:
quote:
a large majority probably won't.....

I 100% agree, and I think FBA is totally out of line suggesting Kawasaki "fucked" anyone. This is a touring bike, not a drag racing machine. If you want that kind of performance you should buy a ZX-14. The power delivery and the mannerisms of this bike are very well suited to its purpose

The FJR, ST1300 and BWM K1200GT, which are all Sport tourers in fact, have a ton of low end grunt well below 4.5K and are NOT "gutless". To think that a 19K (CDN) ST bike has nothing and is "gutless" as you say, below 4.5K, would easily compete with the rest of those bikes, would be a mistake. Why would I want to fuck with flies and pipes /mapping on an ST bike to get something the others have already got with no mods?

You think that C14 is so damn special that we don't need power at 2-5k? Might as well just buy a Vespa...

ST bikes are used in a large part, with 2 up...so having some power at lower RPM's, where the riders reside for the most part, would be critical, not to mention the inherrent dangers of city traffic and the reliance of good escape manouvers, all requiring power in the lower end of the scale. Why are these stupid fly's and the power they lose only apparent on Kawasaki's? Why do all other builders go for power down low? Are they all wrong and only Kawasaki is right?

If they're going to charge me the same money as Yam, let 'em give me the same value, at least. I'm not going to waste 19K or so when I can get that in a Yam with the low end grunt I and most others need. Otherwise, I've got to spend another 1K at least...Oh I forgot, KAW gives me KIPASS, I'll need that for riding...(that's why I have insurance)

Damn man, wake the fuck up -- even a fucking 800 LB Gwing has tons of power down low...where it's needed. Show me 2 up riding at 7-11K on a ST bike...
Sorry, I don't see the value in buying a C14 so I can play with it to get back what should have been there in the 1st place...

Bikes like this with gutless performance in the low end are a waste of time and money. I've had FJR's, 1200GT's, Wings, etc...and none of them could be considered gutless at those speeds...

Enjoy your "gutless" C14.

serius blk

Zone Head
posted June 27, 2007 03:41 AM        
hey 12.1 or 13.5 compression pistons will bring this motor in line with the zx14. I know its a touring bike and they wouldnt make it perform like their top sportsbike. The specs say 10.1. Thats detuning alot.
  Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted June 27, 2007 07:58 AM        
I believe (and this is my opinion so far - which may change with more time in the saddle) that if you were a current "legacy" Concours owner, this bike is what you've been waiting for - without a doubt ... if you're a ZX-14 owner, I can't see why you would switch.. there's little point.... you'd be let down by the power and handling since the ZX-14 is so good..... if you're in the market for a tourer and don't fit either of the previous categories, the C14 makes a nice easy to handle, powerful alternative to the other brand's offerings.

fastestbusaaround

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted June 27, 2007 08:11 AM        
FJR would satisfy even the most adamant power hungry sport bike riders, but I'd agree with the 1st part of your statement. The old Concourse didn't have a huge amount of spunk to begin with.

fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted June 27, 2007 08:19 AM        Edited By: fish_antlers on 27 Jun 2007 15:30
FBA... I need to state this again... I dont think that this market is all about power... again.. if you want piles of power get a ZX14 or a busa....

this is about manageable power, handling for long distances. The bike delivers as promised in this department. You're comparing apples and oranges IMHO.

I believe that if you're coming from a ZX-14 or some other hyper-sport machine, you'd be disappointed in the power, and if you were coming from a different (lesser) bike, you'd be impressed. What can I say? It's a touring bike.

worm~hole

Needs a life
posted June 27, 2007 10:20 AM        Edited By: worm~hole on 27 Jun 2007 17:21
...since my last real touring bike was an HD ElectraGlideTouringClassic, this C14 should make me feel like Capt. John Stapp on a rocket sled "Whiz" c.1951...on acceleration, of course
  Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 3 pages long: 1  2  3     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > CONCOURS14.com > Thread: Ride Report: Day 1 - Concours 14 on the Highway NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2022 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.50086998939514 seconds processing time