Concourse 14 / GTR1400
  HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > CONCOURS14.com > Thread: The perfect windscreen???? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
TedG

posted April 06, 2008 12:14 PM        
The perfect windscreen????

Well yesterday I put the stock windscreen back on and went for a 400 mile ride. I thought the stocker was OK but I was mistaken, It is awesome all the way down and smooth air flows well. But raising the shield causes turbulence around the helmet and shoulders and after a couple hundred miles it is uncomfortable. The accessory Kwak shield is just fine except all the way down it doesn't give enough air. I think I may be able to modify the accessory shield by cutting it down 1" , I know it is comfortable when it is 1" down. Hopefully it will be better all the way down. I think I will investigate if it is possible to get the shield to drop down another inch. Then the shield system would be much more versatile. I don't like the big shield because it doesn't give you enough air when all the way down and it lowers gas mileage.
Green 2005 ZX10R
2009 Concours Black ABS

Ignore this member   
nabrxx

Needs a job
posted April 11, 2008 09:11 AM        
The cbailey 3" is perfect for me. I put the stocker back on and took it off the next day. Ill live with the gas mileage reduction.

Ignore this member   
TedG

posted April 11, 2008 01:51 PM        
Tonight I cut 1" off of the accessory screen and it looks awesome. Sporty looking but not stubby looking like the stocker. Did a perfect job, can't tell it from factory. The curves of the screen are more natural now. So all in all it is 1" shorter and 2" narrower at the top. With a properly blended curve. So the only thing left is to see if it works well, If not I will go buy another accessory screen.
Green 2005 ZX10R
2009 Concours Black ABS

Ignore this member   
wormgear

Expert Class
posted April 12, 2008 11:10 AM        
Did you ride it today?

Ignore this member   
TedG

posted April 12, 2008 12:56 PM        
Yes I did. and it is now the perfect warm weather shield. In colder weather I will get another shield. But this one is much better all the way down, clean air flow and plenty of air on the arms. All the way up it is fine, not great but mostly quiet and comfortable. There is air flowing on your arms and minimal turbulence. Over 70 degrees it is an improvement over the original shape. You can get out of the wind with it all the way up. So all in all it was a success, but I will be buying a cold weather shield.
Green 2005 ZX10R
2009 Concours Black ABS

Ignore this member   
TedG

posted April 19, 2008 02:23 PM        
I ordered a CalSci +3 shield just for laughs. I want to give it a rip because I like the shape of it and it doesn't curl forward at the top. It may work well all the way down also. If I get time I want ot investigate making the shield drop a bit further.
Green 2005 ZX10R
2009 Concours Black ABS

Ignore this member   
wormgear

Expert Class
posted April 19, 2008 02:43 PM        
I've seriously considered the calcsi +3 myself. Let us know how it compares to the KAW tall before you cut it down.

Ignore this member   
TedG

posted April 25, 2008 01:42 AM        
OK, I got a chance to ride with the CalSci shield.
First thing all the way down feels like there is plenty of air.
Second, there is a pinkish/blue tint to the thing that turns milky in direct sunlight ...ICK.. the optics although not distorted are hazy/milky.
Third with the shield all the way up it is quiet, about the same as the kwak accessory.
Forth, with the shield all the way up there is a ton of air coming through the hole which may or may not be a good thing on a hot day, it is not a good thing on a cold day, it was 40 this morning and my chin got quite cold.
Fifth, With the shield all the way up the turbulence in clean air is very low, again about the same as the kwak. acc. But in dirty air there is more than the kwak and it is a higher frequency.
Sixth, The CalSci edges are visibly and tactilely bumpy, not well finished at all. and the cleaner they gave me, the spray bottle doesn't work ... crap. Although they give you a nice microfiber rag.

I think the Kwak acc shield is a better shield, the only drawback to it is it has too much protection when all the way down in the summer.
The CalSci has a nice shape and the hole in the center could be good on a hot day. The optic are annoying.

I would like it for a summer shield if the plastic was clear. I am going to go a few hundred miles with it and see if it grows on me, Then I will try the Kwak acc, shield back to back and then the cut down acc shield.
The bad part is none of them are good for all seasons.

Green 2005 ZX10R
2009 Concours Black ABS

Ignore this member   
wormgear

Expert Class
posted April 26, 2008 06:16 AM        
Switched back to the stocker today and because of the 1" lower Corbin seat I'm using it's not as bad full up. Still not good but not making me a bobble-head now. Nice down, I'll see how long I can stand it.
During the change I want for a spin with no sheild at all. Now that was some smooth air!

Ignore this member   
TedG

posted April 26, 2008 01:30 PM        
Well I put 400 miles on today with the CalSci. It is amazing the differences between shield shapes. I kinda like the CalSci shield at difference heights at different speeds. And there are other speeds and heights the it has an annoying buzzy turbulence. It is not a bad shield, But I am going to try the cut down Kwak tomorrow for comparison. I paid attention to varying speeds and noise. We will see.
Green 2005 ZX10R
2009 Concours Black ABS

Ignore this member   
TedG

posted April 27, 2008 12:52 PM        
Well I tried the cut down Kwak today and at first I didn't like it and couldn't seem to get it adjusted right. All the way up didn't seem as quiet as the CalSci. But at the end of a 400 mile ride it seemed as good if not better then the CalSci. So all in all it is a draw. Another thing I noticed about the CalSci is only curved in one direction and when all the way down sticks out on the bottom and doesn't look right, it is shorter at the bottom than the Kwaks and now I see why. It seems with the CalSci that the height adjustment causes distinct changes in sounds and turbulence. Where the Kwak the changes are more subtle giving you the impression that it isn't as good. The CalSci goes from noisy to quiet within a half inch, where the Kwak goes from noisy to different stages of quiet over the range of adjustments.
Now I am thinking about buying a CB and seeing how it is. I don't want a big one but I think the final shape should be a combination of the Kwak and the CalSci. I don't like the hole in the CalSci, it lets too much cold or hot air in. I would love to keep experimenting but I have a healthy investment in shields at the moment so only one more.
Green 2005 ZX10R
2009 Concours Black ABS

Ignore this member   
wormgear

Expert Class
posted April 27, 2008 02:17 PM        
This is all good stuff Ted and I'm glad to see you're logging some miles. I'm going to try about 300 miles tomorrow with the stock shield.

Ignore this member   
TedG

posted May 05, 2008 09:38 AM        
Saturday I put the CalSci back on and noticed also that it is a thinner plastic and doesn't fit all that well. Also riding with it on I was able to do a better comparison between it and the cut down Kwak. So Sunday I put the cut down Kwak back on and here is what I came up with. The CalSci is more turbulent than the cut down Kwak. But the CalSci is slightly quieter then the cut down when they are all the way up, but only in certain situations.
The biggest difference it the cut down Kwak is far more comfortable when you are behind an SUV leaving dirty air. So the final decision is the cut down Kwak is a better shield all around, higher quality, better shape, far better plastic, smoother air flow, and more comfortable when all the way down. The little bit of extra noise is my fault I should have rounded the top an left it 1/2 inch taller than it is.
Green 2005 ZX10R
2009 Concours Black ABS

Ignore this member   
drewherc130

Expert Class
posted May 09, 2008 06:18 AM        
How tall are you guys? It'd be helpful for reference sake.

Ignore this member   
wormgear

Expert Class
posted May 09, 2008 07:36 AM        
I'm 6'0", using a Corbin seat and KB risers.
I'm sticking with the stock shield for the summer and leaving it down most of the time.
Full up with a little tuck it's ok, not good but tolerable if I catch some rain or need a break from the wind.
I'll put the C.B.+5 back on for the winter.

Ignore this member   
TedG

posted May 09, 2008 02:10 PM        
I am 5'10" 155-160ish. I hate the stocker, not because of its shape which is pretty good, but it has has a facet the reflects the white line and is annoying, as well as it magnifies the sun in certain positions and melts things. Not to mention scratches very easily. The Kwak accessory shield is very high quality, very scratch resistant, with a good shape without being too big. But it is a bit too much protection in warm weather, which is why I cut one down.
Green 2005 ZX10R
2009 Concours Black ABS

Ignore this member   
DrewHerc130

Expert Class
posted May 09, 2008 04:33 PM        
For around town, I love just riding with the stock down. For any distance though, I'd probably want a taller shield. I'm 6'0" so maybe the kwak access. shield would be okay for my size.

I definately know what you mean Ted about not getting enough air. When it's over 80 maybe 85 at highway speed, I want AIR! Even with a mesh jacket.

Ignore this member   
Dave Bogue

Novice Class
posted July 16, 2009 06:21 AM        
Ted, did you stick with your cut-down stock windscreen?

I find the stocker to be rather noisy at the lowest setting, but no buffeting and good wind blast protection. Any improvement in noise with the cut-down version?

How about a photo? I'm sure it looks sharp.

Dave
Bradenton Fl

Ignore this member   
FastestBusaAround

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted July 16, 2009 08:59 AM        
I bought and installed the Kwak taller/wider one and while it works well in cold - it changes the bikes handling dramatically, all for the worse. I don't use it in summer; only in the cold parts of the fall and spring/winter.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit FastestBusaAround's homepage. 
Tundra Tom

Novice Class
posted July 17, 2009 02:27 AM        
Had to have a better shield before a big tour last summer. 2 prerequisites - had to provide decent protection when up and decent air flow when down.
I don't want to be changing shields or staring through one all the time.
Bought a CeeBaileys Euro. rode it for one day in mid-seventies temps and found the air flow insufficient while full down. Exchanged it for a CB mini Euro and achieved windshield bliss.
One thing I will NEVER understand is why anyone would put a huge touring shield on a cycle equipped with a height adjustable system like the C-14?

Ignore this member   
FastestBusaAround

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted July 17, 2009 10:24 AM        
Only because that (stock) windshield when raised causes turbulence in the cockpit - very annoying. The larger windshields don't do that as much I find...but they affect the handling as well, which is annoying to me.

TedG

posted July 21, 2009 04:43 PM        
Steve,
Just cut down the accessory shield by an inch and narrow the top by an inch on each side and taper the top into the bottom. It looks good and the handling is not effected as much. I left it on all winter and I was happy with it.
Green 2005 ZX10R
2009 Concours Black ABS

Ignore this member   
wormgear

Expert Class
posted July 25, 2009 01:39 AM        
For the summer, I cut my stock shield down to almost flush with the instrument panel in the down position. Lots of smooth air and I can just manage to tuck behind it (full up) when it rains.

Ignore this member   
FastestBusaAround

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted July 26, 2009 03:32 AM        
I'd be scared to do that...is it less rough with the shield cut down?

wormgear

Expert Class
posted July 27, 2009 02:02 PM        
Yes, take the shield off and ride a little. That's pretty much how it feels now.

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va [ This thread is 2 pages long: 1  2     Next» ] < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > CONCOURS14.com > Thread: The perfect windscreen???? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2015 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.42494797706604 seconds processing time