Concourse 14 / GTR1400
  HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > CONCOURS14.com > Thread: Tested! PINLOCK™ Anti-fog Lens Inserts for Arai Helmets NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
Staff

Administrator
posted February 01, 2009 02:33 PM        Edited By: fish_antlers on 4 Feb 2009 17:55
Tested! PINLOCK™ Anti-fog Lens Inserts for Arai Helmets

by Motochica

I was very excited to try the Pinlock Fog Free Lens System for my Arai XD helmet. I absolutely love my Arai XD helmet, having lived in it for a 9 month, 35,000 mile ride through South America in 2006. Like most riders I’ve had the visor “fog-up” on several occasions, whether it’s a cough, sneeze, or just heavy breathing. And being such a “sweaty head”, I might be the perfect test case a Fog Free Lens.

I find that my visor fogs up the worst when I’m working hard off road, when it’s raining, or when it’s merely cold outside. In those times, I need my visor down to prevent the rain from poking my eyes or borderline frost bite on the cheeks. Regardless, most of us Dual Sport riders have experienced the stress and irritation of not being able to “pick a line” from a visor fog up.

Installation

The Pinlock™ Fog Free Lens system we tested includes both the lens insert and the replacement Arai shield/visor, which comes with nifty little ‘pinlocks’ already in place. First, I inserted the Pinlock™ lens on the new shield by gently bending the shield flat and slipping the edges of the lens into the pinlocks. Then it was just a simple matter of removing my old shield from my Arai XD helmet and replacing it with the new shield complete with the new lens insert.

Initially, the Pinlock™ Fog Free Lens system was really easy to figure out, so I just went at it without following the instructions. It seemed as though it was common sense and the lens could only fit on one way. At first, the lens seemed slightly too long for the space between the pinlocks. As a result, there wasn’t a perfect seal or fit and so the lens lifted and bubbled up on one side.

After reading the instructions, I discovered that if the pinlocks are twisted and adjusted correctly, the clip-in lens will fit perfectly in between the pinlocks on the face shield.

The entire installation process would have taken me just a couple of minutes if I had started with a small enough screw driver. All the Pinlocks needed was a half-turn to make the lens fit perfectly, but this was could only be done with a miniature screw driver. What took the time was rummaging through the tools in the utility room. One recommendation would be to either include such a tool with the system, or mention the ‘required tools’ in the instructions or on the label. In hindsight, the instructions were straightforward and the diagram was helpful.

The clip-in lens insert comes in 5 different colors or tints for use in various weather conditions. I opted to try the yellow lens (for high contrast daytime use) and the clear one (for normal use).

The Test: Highway vs. Off Road Riding

I gave the yellow fog-free lens the ultimate test on a cold, rainy day in the late Fall / early Winter…normal conditions to cause a fogged up visor. In general, I was impressed with the lens, whose moisture absorbing plastic had created an air tight double shield that kept me fog free for most of the day.

Highway Riding

At highway speeds the lens stayed clear, even in the rain. I also liked that the fog-free lens allowed me to leave my visor down while waiting at a traffic light. Even when I sneezed, it fogged for a split second but was gone as fast as it came. However, after a couple hours of riding without rain, I noticed some fogging around the edges of the lens…but not enough to impede my vision.

Off Road

When riding off-road, I’d normally keep my visor up and stick with just clear or sun glasses. But to test the lens, I decided to keep the visor down and still keep my glasses on. I was amazed that despite having to remove my glasses due to them fogging up, the Pinlock™ Fog Free Lens remained clear.

However, after a couple hours, the combination of rain and my ‘sweaty’ head had finally managed to fog up the lens. Not completely, but enough to annoy me and force me to ride with my visor up. The manufacturer’s recommendation is to always ride with the visor closed in order to prevent moisture in between the lens and the original visor, but as an off-road rider this isn’t always an option. Riding with the visor down isn’t practical when off-road because of the need for air flow to prevent sweating. I get too hot and can’t breathe well when the visor is down.

Overall, I am still impressed with the lens because this test was humidity to the extreme. I know that without the Pinlock™ Fog Free Lens system, I would have normally fogged-up immediately, certainly I would have not remained fog-free for hours as I did with the system installed.

Yellow vs. Clear Lens

The instructions recommend the yellow lens for track use and daylight conditions only, and I can see why, since the yellow lens didn’t brighten up the rainy day as I had assumed it would. Later, on the rode home that night I discovered the hard way that yellow is not intended for night riding. Those oncoming headlights were blindingly yellow.

The clear fog-free lens was my favorite. It did its job well, while I barely noticed it was even there. I had to remind myself to check if I had any fog-up. Clear all the way!

The Pinlock™ Fog Free Lens system is ideal for highway riding, but not as practical for sweaty off-road riding in the rain. These conditions are simply too much moisture for any lens to be expected to handle. In any other riding conditions, the Pinlock™ improves your ride, even in the rain…and in the soaking wet Pacific Northwest, that means everyone and their cat could use one!

The Pinlock™ Fog Free Lens system is available with fitment for all Arai helmets as well as other major brands including HJC and KBC. You can find out more about Pinlock and their products by visiting their website at www.pinlockusa.com.

The Pinlock system retails for about $30, and you can upgrade your Arai visor to a Pinlock ready unit for just over $50.

Arai Pinlock visors and Pinlock kits are available for order online at www.araiparts.com.

Source: Bikeland.org

Ignore this member    Click here to visit Staff's homepage. 
BobC

Pro
posted February 01, 2009 09:31 PM        
A clear Pinlock lens was also supplied as standard with my last two Shoei helmets.

2012 ZZR1400 in Golden Blazed Green
Brock CT Full System. etc
Max: 203.1 in 1 mile (so far)

Ignore this member   
Old Guy

Expert Class
posted February 04, 2009 01:28 AM        
My riding the pinlock on his Sheoi 1000 and it works good. He can switch between a dark tint and clear easily on track days. I tried their stick on model. Its crap that is distorted and scratched easily but didnt. fog. Will go with the Pinlock when its replacement time.
pcIII w/custom map
NO freakin flies!!
GP suspension forks
Penske rear shock
Rich's custom seat
And a whole bunch of other stuff.

97 zx6r full race bike with all the
good stuff

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted February 04, 2009 02:56 AM        
Links updated to order Pinlock at end of story!

Ignore this member    Click here to visit fish_antlers's homepage. 
LAB3

Needs a job
posted February 04, 2009 05:22 AM        
quote:
A clear Pinlock lens was also supplied as standard with my last two Shoei helmets.

I just ordered a Shoei RF 1000 that comes with a clear shield and I ordered a smoked sheild too. Chaparral did not say anything about the Pinlock being sent with my new helmet I just ordered two hours ago.Did you have to ask for this at a extra cost?
Thanks
Louis

Ignore this member   
Marc

Parking Attendant
posted October 01, 2009 07:19 PM        
Pinlock The Best.
  Ignore this member   
Chief

Parking Attendant
KR Tuned Exhaust
posted October 03, 2009 09:12 AM        
I have the pinlock (yellow) in my HJC helmet and it works great.
  Ignore this member   
Rifleman223

Novice Class
posted October 10, 2009 10:20 AM        
I just installed the universal pinlock on my Zeus. I love these, since winter is approaching, fogging up is really becoming an issue. I have them on my Nolan and they work great!

This has been the only solution that really works. Even at long stops, no fogging up.

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > CONCOURS14.com > Thread: Tested! PINLOCK™ Anti-fog Lens Inserts for Arai Helmets NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2015 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.6375789642334 seconds processing time