Concourse 14 / GTR1400
  HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > CONCOURS14.com > Thread: question for Ted G NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
oncourse

Expert Class
I hate flies!!!
posted October 11, 2009 05:36 PM        
question for Ted G

Ted,
I know there is no forum for my klr here, but ir has one issue that has never been resolved by anyone....

If it like 30 deg. out it will not start, pushing it down the driveway choke on or off, nothing. You can smell fuel at the tail pipe. The motor is different from the original, so I know it is not in the pickup (crank sensor). If I put my propane bullet heater on it for 5 min's it will fire on the first kick choke off.

I assume it is ignition related, but what would do this, coil, ignition module? I had an '86 and that would start up in the dead of winter, not this '04///

I know this is not the forum for it, but any input would be appreciated..

Reguards,
R0b

04 klr 250 Lots of mods and 70 MPG!!
08 Connie 2 bros. Carbon. Helibars. Flies out, PC3!!!
2003 kx 500 SOLD
2004 KX 500 In service now, whata BEAST!

Ignore this member   
2000redrocket

Pro
posted October 12, 2009 03:38 PM        
you need spark , air with some compression and fuel if you know you got fuel you need to verify the spark and compression part. do a compression check with the engine cold and look for spark. these are what a shop is going to look for if you have to take it to them. hell maybe throw a different plug in but i am thinking you already did that.
  Ignore this member   
oncourse

Expert Class
I hate flies!!!
posted October 12, 2009 06:22 PM        
RR, I do know what I need, I feel the compression, if roling it down the driveway and hitting 2nd locks the tire up. The plug was replaced when the engine assy was replaced with an iridium. I do not know how 2 engines, the one in it now is an '95 rebuilt by me, caould have the same problems, yes it's the same carb, yes it's the same coil and ignitor. The only thing different is the crank sensor as it came with the '95 motor. A few min's with a heater on it and it fires right up, I am still on the thought there is no fire, the next time it gets cold enough I will get another plug and lay it against the engine. After heating it a little bit it fires right to life, where none existed. Not even 1 hit... I kicked the thing 100 times, choke on and off, sometimes off and a little throttle, trying to compression start it down hill, nothing, 3-5 mi's with a heater and it fires on the first kick no choke.

Carb was redone by me 2x, first was cutting 2 1/4" of the diapragm spring, going from a 118 main to a 128, big gun full exhaust, shimmed the needle with 2 washers and changed the idle mixture, the bike now has totally way more power in low to midrange, totally different beast, I can short shift at 5k and be gone, took an older kx125 with it. The second time the carb was done was because some piece of invisible crap got it in somewhere, it is used to being started and then take the choke off within 10 sec's. not then, it took 20 mins to get it to run decent, cleaning it out fixed that problem, but the main problem remains.

I could kick my self in the butt for not checking spark, now have to wait untill it's cold enough where it will not start. I have had 5,000 trouble free miles on this rebuild, except for that invisible pice of dirt in the carb. Running amsoil 10w40, just like the c-14.

My '86 never had this problem, started all the time, it could be 20 out and no more than 3 kicks. The '86 would power wheelie 1st, then bang second still in the air, sometimes even into 3rd, this bike will not do that even though it seems faster. I looked at parts diagrams and numbers and all I could find is that the '86 had a different head and cam/s. The factory shop manual showed there was a decrease in hp as the years went by.

Valves are on themoney, compression went from 11/1 to 11.5/1 with the wiseco .020 overbore. This engine was a slice off the original liquid ninja 900....

I guess either there is a problem with both crank sensors or it is somewheres else, either way I totally believe it is spark related...

Rob

04 klr 250 Lots of mods and 70 MPG!!
08 Connie 2 bros. Carbon. Helibars. Flies out, PC3!!!
2003 kx 500 SOLD
2004 KX 500 In service now, whata BEAST!

Ignore this member   
TedG

posted October 12, 2009 07:06 PM        
If I am reading this correctly your original engine had the same problem and you are using the same carb and ignition. This is most likely a carb issue BUT it could be a matter of weak spark. Try to shrink the plug gap to about 10-15 thousandths and see if it starts. If so you most likely have a weak coil.
BUT usually the ignition is these things are is bulletproof. To check if it is the carb, get some starting fluid and spray it in and see if it starts. Or just spray some raw fuel in the carb and then try to st art it. Even though you smell fuel there may not have been enough in the charge to ignite and the unburnt mixture went out the exhaust where it collects and smells. The choke systems on these bikes are a enrichining system and if it isn't working properly you will have the symptoms you have. Squirting in fuel, WD40, or starting fluid usually will tell you the story.

Green 2005 ZX10R
2009 Concours Black ABS

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > CONCOURS14.com > Thread: question for Ted G NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.20371413230896 seconds processing time