Kawasaki H2 Ninja Forum
  HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > H2 NINJA.com > Thread: A motorcyclist's life is only worth 45 days in jail... NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted December 19, 2014 07:06 AM        
A motorcyclist's life is only worth 45 days in jail...

... served on weekends none the less!!

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/woman-who-stopped-for-ducks-caused-fatal-crash-gets-90-days-behind-bars-1.2153205#ixzz3MM9bHXrq

quote:
Woman who stopped for ducks, caused fatal crash, gets 90 days behind bars

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/woman-who-stopped-for-ducks-caused-fatal-crash-gets-90-days-behind-bars-1.2153205#ixzz3MMA1DuSe

A widow whose husband and daughter died when their motorcycle crashed into a woman's car as she helped ducks on a highway is satisfied with the 90-day jail term the accused received Thursday.
Besides serving the time on weekends, Emma Czornobaj must do 240 hours of community service and is prohibited from driving for 10 years.

After Czornobaj stopped her car in June 2010 to rescue ducklings on the side of the highway, the motorcycle carrying Andre Roy and his teenager daughter Jessie slammed into her vehicle.

A jury convicted her of two counts of criminal negligence causing death and two counts of dangerous driving causing death.

Pauline Volikakis, the wife and mother of the victims, welcomed the sentence.

"I'm just happy that.. .we can now move on, maybe turn the page and continue with a positive attitude, instead of a negative (one)," she said outside the courtroom.

Volikakis said the judge "did what she had to do."

In passing sentence, Quebec Superior Court Justice Eliane Perreault noted that Czornobaj, now 26, showed no remorse during the trial and had described the tragedy as an accident.

Perreault said the accused showed a "reckless disregard for the safety of others" when she left her vehicle to tend to the ducklings.

Czornobaj's lawyer, Marc Labelle, later told reporters his client had difficulty expressing her feelings.
"She does have regrets and she does have remorse," he said. "It's only that she's a shy person, an inexperienced person and she was not able to explain that properly during the court process."

While Perreault was addressing the court, Czornobaj leaned forward in her chair and listened but showed no emotion when the sentence was rendered.

The Crown was seeking nine months of detention and the 240 hours of community service, while the defence argued she should only get the community service.

Labelle said he likely won't appeal the 90-day jail term.

"It seems to me it is a fit and reasonable sentence, although we will ask the Court of Appeal to look into the driving prohibition for 10 years," he told reporters.

Crown prosecutor Annie-Claude Chasse disagreed and supported the judge's ruling.

"She wanted, I believe, to send a clear message to society that the action that Madame Czornobaj did -- this is criminal negligence and this is not action that people should do when they have a driving licence," she told reporters.

Labelle has already indicated he is appealing the conviction.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit fish_antlers's homepage. 
swft

Needs a life
Full throttle!
posted December 19, 2014 09:52 AM        
So she had stopped...did the motorcyclist not see her stop?

Totally agree that she was in the wrong...but how do you not miss the fact that a car is stopped or is stopping in front of you?
82 Gpz750, 84 Ninja 900, 2000 ZX12R (Muzzy Big Bore Kit), *another* 2000 ZX12R (Muzzy custom stroke crank 1341cc motor), 2004 ZZR1200, 2005 ZX10R, 2007 ZX14, 2008 Concours 14, 2014 Versys 650, 2014 Yamaha WR450F, 2015 Ninja H2

Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted December 19, 2014 01:07 PM        
Video of news story is good to watch.

Ignore this member    Click here to visit fish_antlers's homepage. 
FastestBusaAround

Needs a life
I eat Fish...
posted December 19, 2014 10:12 PM        
Happened not too far from where I live. She was negligent and cost 2 people their lives. Maybe that'll teach her a lesson in the future...dumb cunt. Too bad she didn't get years...

Ignore this member    Click here to visit FastestBusaAround's homepage. 
SteveWFL

posted December 20, 2014 03:14 PM        
these animal rights whackos. hopefully someone enjoyed some roasted duck in the deal.
CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > H2 NINJA.com > Thread: A motorcyclist's life is only worth 45 days in jail... NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.27533292770386 seconds processing time