Strong finish for KTM's Pignotti in S2 season's closer2008-10-19 04:24
KTM factory rider Attilio Pignotti saved the best till last on Sunday putting in his best GP finish of the season in the final round to finish second and overall fourth in the championship.
Pignotti crossed the line twice in third place for his overall second result in the season's final S2 GP in Thessaloniki, Greece, his strongest finish in a season that was disrupted with injuries. Pignotti looked in very good form in the final races, fending off attacks from other riders when the situation was dangerous and attacking when there was space to do so.
The Italian veteran went all out in the two races to try to secure the third place in the overall season's standings but was denied that glory when Belgian Gerald Delepine made up for a poor result in race one with a fourth in the second race to finish 11 points ahead of Pignotti.
Results GP of Greece S2
1. Adrien Chareyre, France, Husqvarna, 25-22-47
2. Attilio Pignotti, Italy, KTM. 20-20—40
3. Lorenzo Mariani, Italy, TM, 15-16—31
4. David Gozzini, Italy, TM, 22-9—31
5. Christian Iddon, Britain, Aprilia, 5-25—30
Final S2 Championship Standings
1. Adrien Chareyre, France, Husqvarna, 367
2. David Gozzini, Italy, TM, 340
3. Gerald Delepine, Belgium, Husqvarna, 276
4. Attilio Pignotti, Italy, KTM. 265
5. Luca Minutilli, Italy, Aprilia, 229
Source: KTM-Sportmotorcycle AG
Click here to visit our forums to discuss this story
Tweets by @bikeland_org