GUINTOLI 5TH AT OULTON BSB OPENING RACE2009-10-10 14:58
Sylvain Guintoli showed that the effects of his mid-season layoff due to injury were all behind him today when he fought back from a third-row start to finish fifth in today's first race of the Oulton Park BSB programme.
Guintoli started on a high note in this morning's final free practice and on a wet track after overnight rain, he showed the slippery conditions held no fears for him as he powered the Worx Crescent Suzuki GSX-R1000 to second quickest.
The Roll for Pole qualifier, however, didn't run to plan.
"Qualifying was a disaster. I'd got my pace going well in Q2, sixth fastest, and was ready to improve on that. But in Q3 I kept making mistakes and never got a good lap in, instead going slower to place ninth fastest - third row for the race starts.
"We had a restart after the race was stopped after four laps, but both times I was able to get good starts - at last! - and so I found myself in a five-rider battle for fifth place. To come through and win that battle over the other riders feels fantastic.
"Definitely the race has lifted our spirits and I can't wait for tomorrow. I'll aim to make the jump into the lead group. A podium would be a great way to finish the season."
Jack Valentine - Team Manager:
"A decent day in the office today. It started well with that wet session and that shows we're well placed if it does rain tomorrow. But I'm a little bit disappointed with qualifying; Sylvain should have made second row. But in the race he made a good start and held his own. We saw the real Sylvain Guintoli today, so we're looking forward to tomorrow. Sylvain's very happy with the set-up on the GSX-R1000 and we'll make no changes. As Sylvain said, there's a lot left to come - from him. He will need to dig deeper - cut some more off his lap times - to make the lead group, but we know, and he knows, he has it in him."
Swan Combi 50 - Roll for Pole:
1. Stuart Easton (Hydrex Honda) 1m: 36.042s
2. Leon Camier (Airwaves Yamaha) +0.013s
3. Karl Harris (Sorrymate.com SMT Honda) +0.154s
4. Tommy Hill (Hydrex Honda) +0.185s
5. James Ellison (Airwaves Yamaha) +0.662s
6. Josh Brookes (HM Plant Honda) +0.740s
7. Michael Rutter (Bathams Ducati) +0.758s
8. Ian Lowry (Relentless Suzuki by TAS) +1.104s
9. Sylvain Guintoli (Worx Crescent Suzuki) +1.294s
10. John Laverty (Buildbase Kawasaki) +1.585s
Race one result:
1. Stuart Easton (Hydrex Honda)
2. Leon Camier (Airwaves Yamaha) +0.208s
3. Tommy Hill (Hydrex Honda) +0.222s
4. James Ellison (Airwaves Yamaha) +0.331s
5. Sylvain Guintoli (Worx Crescent Suzuki) +13.129s
6. Simon Andrews (MSS Colchester Kawasaki) +13.129s
7. Julien Da Costa (MSS Colchester Kawasaki) +13.599s
8. Ian Lowry (Relentless Suzuki by TAS) +13.837s
9. Chris Walker (Motorpoint/Henderson Yamaha) +14.771s
10. John Laverty (Buildbase Kawasaki) +14.815s
Source: Team Suzuki Press Office
Click here to visit our forums to discuss this story
Tweets by bikeland_org