Dakar 2018: CS Santosh, Oriol Mena keep it steady for Hero MotoSports Team Rally in Stage 22018-01-09 08:55
Hero MotoSports team Rally regained the momentum to make a solid show on the 2nd Day of the Rally Dakar2018, Shrugging off the unfortunate events of the Day 1.
Stage 2 was the first full length stage of the Dakar with a short 12km liaison section followed by a 267 km loop of Pisco. Competitors were challenged by the tricky canyons in the first 40 km of the stage made only tougher by the series of dunes that followed.
With a tough stage on the cards, both the Hero riders decided to be cautious and steady. Oriol Mena finished the stage at 27th place and CS at 29th.
The third stage of the Rally will commence on January 8, when it moves to the next location of San Juan De Marcona, where the competitors can expect to encounter a Chott (dry / marshy saline lake), a number of canyons and 60% sand during the course of 504 kms of riding.
C.S Santosh #49: “The Dakar really kicked off today with a difficult stage. The sand was really soft and some of the dunes were really massive. I started really slow but then gained a good rhythm. I had fun today and really happy to make it to the end of day 2.”
Oriol Mena #61: “It was a really hard day today but I covered the 1st half at really good speed and caught up with 3 riders in front of me. Before the refuelling station I had slight problem and lost a few minutes there but happy that I finished today and now have one day less to arrive at Cordoba.”
Joaquim Rodrigues #26: “Thanks to all the friends and my team for the support and wishes. I am doing ok now and will be flying back home soon to complete my recovery. Sorry, my Dakar was short this year, hard luck but I will come back stronger. All the best to CS and Mena to make it to the finish line at Cordoba safely”
Provisional Stage 2 Classifications
1. Joan Bort Barreda, Honda Racing, Honda, 02h56m44s
2. Adrian Van Beveren, Yamaha Official Rally Team, Yamaha, +2m 54s
3. Matthias Walkner, RedBull KTM Factory Racing, KTM, +4m 24s
27. Oriol Mena, Hero Motosports Team Rally, Hero MotoSports, +24m 55s
29. C.S. Santosh, Hero Motosports Team Rally, Hero MotoSports, +26m 07s
Overall Provisional Classifications after Stage 2
1. Joan Bort Barreda, Honda Racing, Honda, 03h18m36s
2. Adrian Van Beveren, Yamaha Official Rally Team, Yamaha, +2m 30s
3. Matthias Walkner, RedBull KTM Factory Racing, KTM, +4m 50s
27. Oriol Mena, Hero Motosports Team Rally, Hero MotoSports, +28m 12s
28. C.S. Santosh, Hero Motosports Team Rally, Hero MotoSports, +28m 26s
Source: MG communication
Click here to visit our forums to discuss this story
Tweets by @bikeland_org