Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP Start Their 2019 Test Campaign2019-02-06 10:30
The Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP Team had been looking forward to this day for months. They got to show off their 2019 team colours in action on the first of three testing days at the Sepang International Circuit in Malaysia. Riders Maverick Viñales and Valentino Rossi spent the day working through a number of items and secured third and sixth place respectively in today‘s results.
18:00 LOCAL TIME GMT+8 AIR 30°C / TRACK 50°C / HUMIDITY80% SUNNY MORE CIRCUIT INFORMATION
Pictures for editorial use only
Copyrights 2019 Yamaha Motor Racing Srl
1'59.937 / 63 LAPS
2'00.054 / 56 LAPS
Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP Team‘s Maverick Viñales and Valentino Rossi have started their 2019 MotoGP pre-season testing programme at the Sepang International Circuit today. The new bike livery was a hot topic on the first of the three riding days in Malaysia, but for the team the focus lay solely on improving the bike‘s performance. After a full-on day of testing, the team-mates took third and sixth place respectively in today‘s time sheets.
Viñales had been looking forward to riding again for months, and it showed. He headed out of pit lane aboard his no.12 YZR-M1 just after 10:40 (GMT+8), a few minutes after his team-mate. He was quick to put his name towards the top of the rankings, moving up to fourth place on his first run.
Having refamiliarised himself with the Sepang track, he then put his attention towards trying the various testing items, and with success. The Spaniard set a 1‘59.937s for provisional second place on lap 28/63 around midday, before finalising his testing programme. Though he couldn‘t beat his own time in the hot afternoon, he is feeling confident having completed the session in third place, 0.316s from first.
Rossi also didn‘t let any time go to waste on the first day of testing in Malaysia. He was quick to head out on track, to start a packed morning of testing.
Though he was mainly concerned with building on his findings from the previous testing days in Spain, he steadily gained pace in the first two hours on track. His fastest lap from his morning runs was a 2‘00.054s, set on lap 22/56, that initially put him in fourth place. He was unable to further improve his position in the time sheets due to the change in track conditions in the afternoon, but his best effort from this morning kept him in sixth place, 0.433s from the top.
Click here to view the extended imagery of this event
“I'm actually really happy, because I felt good straight away. I trained quite a lot with bikes this winter, so physically I'm OK. I want to do the three days with maximum power, so I can be quite precise, especially on the track. There's room to improve and that is very important if we want to battle for this championship. I would like to improve the acceleration and also a little bit the breaking areas, where we struggled last year, so I'm really focused on that.”
“First of all it is a great feeling to be back on the bike and I enjoyed it even though it was very tough physically, because it was very hot for the first test. The first day is quite positive for us, because I always had a good feeling with the bike and we worked very much on improving the grip and our lap times, especially with used tyres. As it is the first day, I looked a bit at the pace of the strong guys, and we are not so bad. It looks like we made some improvements compared to last year.”
LINKS & DOWNLOAD
Sepang Test - Day 1
Sepang Test - VR46 Video
Sepang Test - MV12 Video
DAY 1 RESULTS
1. M. MARQUEZ Repsol Honda Team 1'59.621
2. A. RINS Team Suzuki Ecstar 1'59.880
3. M. VIÑALES Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP 1'59.937
4. T. RABAT Reale Avintia Racing 1'59.983
5. D. PETRUCCI Mission Winnow Ducati 2'00.051
6. V. ROSSI Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP 2'00.054
7. T. NAKAGAMI LCR Honda Idemitsu 2'00.158
8. A. DOVIZIOSO Mission Winnow Ducati 2'00.197
9. S. BRADL LCR Honda 2'00.214
10. P. ESPARGARÒ Red Bull KTM Factory Racing 2'00.313
11. J. MILLER Alma Pramac Racing 2'00.383
12. F. MORBIDELLI PETRONAS Yamaha SRT 2'00.460
13. A. ESPARGARÒ Aprilia Racing Team Gresini 2'00.602
14. C. CRUTCHLOW LCR Honda Castrol 2'00.681
15. F. BAGNAIA Alma Pramac Racing 2'00.694
16. M. OLIVEIRA Red Bull KTM Tech3 2'00.902
17. .. YAMAHA TEST 1 Yamaha Test Team 2'00.965
18. F. QUARTARARO PETRONAS Yamaha SRT 2'00.985
19. M. KALLIO Red Bull KTM Factory Racing Test Team 2'01.054
20. J. ZARCO Red Bull KTM Factory Racing 2'01.121
21. A. IANNONE Aprilia Racing Team Gresini 2'01.249
22. S. GUINTOLI Suzuki Test Team 2'01.286
23. J. MIR Team Suzuki Ecstar 2'01.432
24. K. ABRAHAM Reale Avintia Racing 2'01.627
25. .. YAMAHA TEST 2 Yamaha Test Team 2'01.736
26. H. SYAHRIN Red Bull KTM Tech3 2'01.853
Source: Yamaha Motor Racing
Click here to visit our forums to discuss this story
Tweets by @bikeland_org