AMA Superbike Championship leader Mat Mladin broke the lap record on his way to setting provisional pole for this weekend's ninth and tenth-round Elkhart Lake double-header in Wisconsin.
The Yoshimura Suzuki rider knocked 0.7 seconds off the existing record, lapping the high-speed circuit in 2:12.554 minutes to beat team mate Aaron Yates and Honda's Miguel Duhamel to the number one grid position.
The five-time AMA Superbike Champion said: "We've been looking forward to coming to this track all year because I think it's going to be one of the better ones for the new Suzuki GSX-R1000. It's such a solid motorcycle; it's fast and we can just do amazing things with it. On this race track, when you have a fast bike and a bike that works on the front end, you've got just about everything you need."
Friday Superbike Qualifying:
1. Mat Mladin (Yoshimura Suzuki) 2:12.554.
2. Aaron Yates (Yoshimura Suzuki) 2:14.388.
3. Miguel Duhamel (Honda) 2:14.483.
4. Ben Spies (Yoshimura Suzuki) 2:14.542.
5. Eric Bostrom (Ducati) 2:14.677.
6. Joshua Hayes (Kawasaki) 2:15.002.
7. Jake P Zemke (Honda) 2:15.286.
8. Neil Hodgson (Ducati) 2:15.496.
9. Larry Pegram (Honda) 2:15.741.
10. Geoff May (Suzuki) 2:15.880.
Source: Team Suzuki Press Office