The venerable Interceptor from Honda gets some significant updates for 2014, the last major release being over a decade ago for 2002. While the updates certainly don't rate an "all new" status, they do bring the model up to date, especially with the Deluxe model going as far as introducing traction control. A weight loss program of about 20lbs is a welcome change too.
Honda's iconic V-4 powerplants have an alluring character all their own, a unique combination of torque, an aggressive rush of power as the tach needle swings up into the meaty part of the powerband, and a certain texture to the engine feel that tells you this could only be a Honda V-4. The new Interceptor® has all of that and more, including a chassis with that special Honda blend of agility and comfort that strikes an ideal balance for all-day rides on your favorite twisting roads. A stout single-side swingarm and radial-mounted front brakes make sport riding especially fun, and a front-mounted radiator gives the Interceptor a slim profile. To ensure long-term comfort, the Interceptor has upright, neutral ergonomics as well as an adjustable seat. This is a sport bike with plenty of emphasis on sport, plus the versatility for commuting, two-up fun rides and long-haul sport touring. The Deluxe model adds ABS, Traction Control, grip heaters, self-canceling turn signals, and a centerstand for riders wanting even more features.
- Honda-exclusive VTEC engine combines the power characteristics of both two- and four-valve cylinder-head designs. The engine runs on two valves per cylinder at lower engine speeds, then switches to four valves per cylinder in a seamless transition as revs build. This results in stronger low-end and mid-range horsepower and torque while maintaining impressive high-rpm power.
- Honda Pro-Arm® rear suspension system uses a new single-side swingarm to help produce excellent suspension action.
- Large-diameter 43mm fork offers spring preload for added versatility.
- Triple-box-section twin-spar aluminum frame features a tuned, pivotless design that isolates the engine-mounted swingarm from the frame for excellent sport performance and ride comfort.
- Radial-mount front brakes deliver cutting-edge stopping action.
- Riding position is more upright for greater long-range comfort.
- Seat can be adjusted for a seat height varying from 31.0 inches to 31.8 inches.
- Single-muffler exhaust system gives a new look while also saving a significant amount of weight.
- 10-spoke wheels add function and style.
- Curb weight of 527 pounds for lightweight feel.
- Meter package features a digital speedometer and tachometer, gear position indicator, MPG readout, ambient air temperature gauge and clock.
- LED taillight and headlight with accent lights provide excellent visibility and a distinctive touch.
- Transferable one-year, unlimited-mileage limited warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan.
Interceptor Deluxe includes all standard features plus:
- Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS) for added stopping confidence in varying road and weather conditions.
- Traction Control limits rear-wheel slippage during hard acceleration or during acceleration on low-traction road surfaces.
- 43mm fork includes both spring preload and rebound damping adjustability for a higher level of sport performance.
- Electronic self-canceling turn signals monitor speed, distance and time parameters for more accurate functioning.
- Grip heaters.
Honda Genuine Accessories†
Heated Grips, Centerstand, Color-Matched Saddlebags, Saddlebag liners, Color-Matched Rear Trunk, Rear Trunk Inner Bag, Quick Shifter, Handlebar Riser, Hugger, 12-Volt Socket, Rear Carrier, Tank Pad, Backrest. (Heated Grips and Centerstand are included on Deluxe model.)
† WARRANTY: Because we're so confident in the quality of each of our Honda Genuine Accessories, we're pleased to offer one of the best warranties in the industry. One-year warranty begins on the day accessories are purchased by the customer.
Final accessory list TBD and subject to change without notice.
Model: VFR800F / VFR800F Deluxe
Engine Type: 782cc liquid-cooled 90° V-4
Bore and Stroke: 72mm x 48mm
Compression ratio: 11.8:1
Valve Train: VTEC DOHC; four valves per cylinder
Induction: PGM-FI with automatic enrichment circuit, 36mm throttle bodies
Ignition: Digital transistorized with electronic advance
Transmission: Close-ratio six-speed
Final Drive: #525 O-ring-sealed chain
Front Suspension: 43mm fork with spring preload, rebound damping adjustability (Deluxe model only); 4.3 inches travel
Rear Suspension: Pro-Arm single-side swingarm with Pro-Link single shock with spring preload and rebound damping adjustability; 4.7 inches travel
Front Brakes: Dual radial-mount four-piston calipers with full-floating 310mm discs, ABS on Deluxe model (VFR800F Deluxe)
Rear Brakes: Single 256mm disc, ABS on Deluxe model (VFR800F Deluxe)
Front Tires: 120/70ZR-17
Rear Tires: 180/55ZR-17
Wheelbase: 57.4 inches
Raek (Caster angle): 25.5°
Trail: 95mm (3.74 inches)
Seat Height: Adjustable; 31.0 inches to 31.8 inches
Fuel Capacity: 5.2 gallons
Estimated Fuel Economy**: TBD
Colors: Red, Pearl White
Curb Weight*: 529 pounds (VFR800F) / 536 pounds (VFR800F Deluxe)
*Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full tank of fuel-ready to ride.
**Miles per gallon values are calculated estimates of fuel consumed during laboratory exhaust emissions tests specified by the EPA, not during on-road riding. Use for comparison purposes only. Your actual mileage will vary depending on how you ride and maintain your vehicle, weather, road conditions, tire pressure, cargo and accessories, rider and passenger weight, and other factors.
Meets current EPA standards.
Models sold in California meet current CARB standards and may differ slightly due to emissions equipment.