HOME ARTICLES JOIN GALLERY STORE SPONSORS MARKETPLACE CONTACT US  
Register | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
Username:    Password:       Forgot your password?
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX10R ZONE.com > Thread: ZX10 - 8 pound weight gain for 2008? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY
stevewfl

posted February 09, 2008 11:25 PM        
ZX10 - 8 pound weight gain for 2008?

More than one critic is blasting the weight gain of the redesigned ZX10, but here is a statement in reference to the Honda (expect more of this when the handling tests come- stay tuned)

First, although equipped with an Ohlins steering damper, the way this new ZX-10R accelerates means that the front tire often has tenuous contact with the road, so this radical machine can occasionally waggle its bars with a hint of instability. Second, we're never thrilled with a bike that weighs more than previous, and at a 394-lb claimed dry weight, it's sure to scale in with more pounds than the all-new, highly anticipated Honda CBR1000RR. Finally, any ZX owner who plans to spend long days in the saddle might want to invest in a taller, more protective windscreen.
CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
zxhoya

Zone Head
posted February 10, 2008 04:08 AM        
Could you reference the quote Steve.

Ignore this member   
famous1

Expert Class
posted February 10, 2008 06:28 AM        
you still on about that honda ?.......
just buy one and stop knocking the kaw already..... we get it.... we really do...
you like the honda.....

Ignore this member   
burgerking

Expert Class
posted February 10, 2008 07:18 AM        
How can anyone like the Honda? Isn't it mandatory to have good eyesight when you have a drivers license in the US.
Stevie Wonder may like the Honda no doubt

Ignore this member   
yelozx10r

Expert Class
Green '07 zx6r
posted February 10, 2008 10:44 AM        
Yeah, I'll say it again... I don't know why Kawi always goes overboard with their emissions crap. The ZX6 has the belly resonator and now the new 10 has a monsterous cat box. In fact the 6 comes out with a resricted ECU in America, I mean come on!!!! who are they going to win over with that crap!!!! Question is, is the 10 actually lighter than the 07 not taking into account the heavier exhaust?
I have a feeling that its not lighter than the model its replacing. Due to the stronger and reworked frame and then the unbreakable swingarm. This I guess isn't a bad thing. At least Kawi hasn't gone the GSXR k5 route and tried to make everything just strong enough while trying to save weight. So they made a better frame and swingarm and sacrificed the small weight gain for the rather important need of having stuff strong enough for the monster motor.

So yeah, its a pity Kawi always goes overboard with stuff like the exhausts cos the mags can't look past the fact that most bike owners are going to change the pipe (something the manufacturers know will happen).
Kawi never have been shy to say that their bikes are for the more advanced rider. Their bikes have such attitude and character and until further notice I'll be only supporting Kawi for this fact only!!! I guess its also a HUGE market of less experienced riders that they are missing and those are the riders that Honda is picking up.

I can't wait to be in a position to buy a 1000 again but by then I'll prolly buy a yamaha :P gosh that might be a while...

Ignore this member   
YZF

Expert Class
posted February 10, 2008 11:15 AM        Edited By: YZF on 10 Feb 2008 11:15
Well...yes. Official figures say: 175kg for 06 and 179kg for 08 Ten.

So?

Change exhaust, eat less , and you'll have your low weight

Ignore this member   
yelozx10r

Expert Class
Green '07 zx6r
posted February 10, 2008 11:20 AM        
yeah thats 4 kg difference and is TOTALLY negligible!!! and that is with the exhaust. Its a pity that the mags are too blind to look past something so small. I mean they'll slate the 4 kg increase (exhaust related) but will overlook the 2.5 pound lighter crank.

Ignore this member   
stevewfl

posted February 10, 2008 12:41 PM        
quote:
Could you reference the quote Steve.

apologies zxhoya, as you know I always cite my source, I purely forgot!

The article is praising the Kawasaki for the redesign, but subtly noted the key issues I have been saying along along that will come out in the shootouts - suspension/handling which its been no secret every year has plagued Kawaski in the shootouts.

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/kawasaki/2008-kawasaki-zx10r-70426.html

CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
YZF

Expert Class
posted February 11, 2008 03:45 AM        
08ZX10R Has better (sharper, faster, harder) suspension than 08Blade. More sporty, and produces better laptimes. Brakes for 08ZX10 are also better (than 08Blade too).

So Honda lost in this departament too.

P.S. Did i mention engine advantage for Kawi? Especially mid range from 4000 to 6500rpm (even more power/torque there than Honda has). Top end? Sure - even more hp.

Ignore this member   
stevewfl

posted February 11, 2008 08:11 AM        
quote:
08ZX10R Has better (sharper, faster, harder) suspension than 08Blade. More sporty, and produces better laptimes. Brakes for 08ZX10 are also better (than 08Blade too).

So Honda lost in this departament too.

P.S. Did i mention engine advantage for Kawi? Especially mid range from 4000 to 6500rpm (even more power/torque there than Honda has). Top end? Sure - even more hp.

I did not read that in the article this thread pertains to.
CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
philmy3rdleg

Expert Class
posted February 11, 2008 09:17 AM        
I don't understand why they always mention things like long hours in the saddle and high windscreens. it's a freaking race bike/track bike first. It's not suppose to be a cruiser. Same thing with car mags testing a ZO6 and saying the ride was a bit harsh on rough pavement. well no sh!t. You don't spend a 1/2 million in chassis development, and aerodynamics, while trying to create a EPA acceptable 500+HP engine just to throw in a '72 Coupe De Ville's suspension. I know one of you jack asses are going to say " but 90% percent of these will never see the track." My reply: "Oh well, I'm not the cool guy who bought a race bike for comfort."
  Ignore this member   
burgerking

Expert Class
posted February 11, 2008 10:31 AM        
It's funny when the 2004 ZX10R was introduced it was the lightest of all SS1000's (it still is btw). But then light weight wasn't that important, it was all about mass centralisation. Now in 2008 the Hodna is a bit lighter and all of a sudden light weight is very important.....yeah right.
Well even if the 2008 ZX10R was 20-30 kg heavier I would go for it instead of the FartBlade. the blade is so fuckin ugly

Ignore this member   
YZF

Expert Class
posted February 11, 2008 11:15 AM        
+1
  Ignore this member   
stevewfl

posted February 11, 2008 11:42 AM        
lol, performance through dominant braking/suspension/weight/power/geometry/rideability I thought is somewhat important for superbikes, but i dunno nothing
CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
yelozx10r

Expert Class
Green '07 zx6r
posted February 11, 2008 02:35 PM        
braking/suspension/weight/power/geometry/rideability = all the things the ZX10 is really good at too... and don't gimme the weight crap again... its like 4 kg's difference and that is nothing!!!

I'm going to have to take both bikes for a test ride asap so I can know for certain that there isn't a dominant 1000.

Come on, I know for debating purpose you must be having a blast Steve. But it really feels like the SAME issues are coming up in EVERY thread. There are no facts here, its all hearsay ... dynos mean nothing, weight figures mean nothing! And its getting hard to read a proper bike shootout cos things that make one bike win one year don't seem to count for the next year. We also can't rely on Race teams to show us the best bike cos the bike doesn't win races... the package (team, bike, tyres, rider, budget, experience) wins races. No 1000 is going to 'outclass' the rest of the 1000's... (no 600 either steve!!! )

So what are we arguing here? The only thing we can argue... looks. The R1 wins on looks. :P

Ignore this member   
stevewfl

posted February 11, 2008 03:25 PM        
I've said before over and over its all about the debate and I'm not even brand loyal.

the litre bikes are so close an amateur track rider such as myself (and many pro's):

-can't tell one from the other and lap times come in the same on the track

- can get much faster lap times on a 600 race bike than any litre bike

One more thing, for a tool around street bike I bought an R1 because both the HONDA and KAWI are ugly as all hell.
CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
shane661

Needs a life
posted February 12, 2008 11:23 AM        
For someone who is not brand-loyal, you are doing a convincing and ongoing impression of a Honda fanboy. You deserve an oscar! lol
  Ignore this member   
fish_antlers

Administrator
The Truth is Out There
posted February 12, 2008 06:31 PM        
quote:
I'm going to have to take both bikes for a test ride

:THUMBUP

Ignore this member    Click here to visit fish_antlers's homepage. 
stevewfl

posted February 14, 2008 09:29 PM        
quote:
For someone who is not brand-loyal, you are doing a convincing and ongoing impression of a Honda fanboy. You deserve an oscar! lol

Shane I suspect Honda will take litre bike class for '08. That doesn't mean I'm brand loyal any more to Honda than any other brand. I've owned more Kawi's than anything and plan on owning more.

And around this crowd if I said kawi will take litre class for '08, we wouldn't even have a thread. all the people that suckup would just nod in agreement. I saw this same type crowd in the die-hard busa forums, but never anywhere else until here.

Personally, I think everyone in this forum that knows anything about bikes would agree the gixxer has been king of litre bikes. I'm no more brand loyal to them than I am Honda or Kawi
CBR600RR track bike

Ignore this member   
yelozx10r

Expert Class
Green '07 zx6r
posted February 14, 2008 11:49 PM        
Yeah lol I agree about the gixxer being the king of the litre class up until '08 yet for some reason I've never wanted one or every admitted that they are great bikes... why the heck is that? probably cos I prefer what Kawi does with their bikes... I like the aggression and attitude their bikes put forward.

You guys can try sell me 'better' torque figures on the hondas... 600 and 1000 rr's but I"ll still ride faster than them cos of skill level (that and my bike out handles the hondas... ) oh and less experienced guys buy the hondas... sorry but in South Africa thats true to a point. You gotta see the chicken strips on the hondas here Serious hey, but the honda here is a safe buy and a great bike around town. The new guys stay away from the Ninjas cos they don't wanna die on a 'wild' bike. And for some reason they go for the more expensive (equivalent of around $1500 more) cbr's cos they feel that they get more for their money and the 'cheaper' ZX's are cheap cos they not as good.

Well regardless, I've never had a honda stick with me... so I"m not impressed with the new blade and int he shoot outs here, the zx is taking the crown... I'll try post a shootout asap

Ignore this member   
All times are America/Va < Previous Thread     Next Thread >
BIKELAND > FORUMS > ZX10R ZONE.com > Thread: ZX10 - 8 pound weight gain for 2008? NEW TOPIC NEW POLL POST REPLY

FEATURED NEWS   Bikeland News RSS Feed

HEADLINES   Bikeland News RSS Feed

Copyright 2000-2023 Bikeland Media
Please refer to our terms of service for further information
0.22098398208618 seconds processing time